Need help with your equipment?
MoInSTL's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Saturday, February 15th, 2014 10:34 PM

NVG589 Bridge Mode Quedtion

I have read most all of the posts on configuring bridge mode.  But before paying $125 for a router, I need to know if I end up with double routing? I would think that those who posted about it would know &  I saw no mention of it. I just need to confirm whether or not double routing is going to be an issue.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

If you use the "Default Server" mode, that results in double-NAT.

If you use "IP Passthrough" mode, then the publically routable IP address will be passed to the WAN interface of your router, and your router will be the only router doing NAT.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

I figured it out. I put the router MAC address into the NVG589.. No more double NAT!

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for the quick repsonse.  Now I can order the router. Someone in another forum implied I might have a problem with it.  I kind of doubted that. But your confirmation is al I need.

I have looked around again and can't find "Default Server".  The closest  is under Firewall Status. That produces a list. NAT Default Server says Off.  But that looks like it's related to opening certain ports for games and protocols as the tab above that says NAT/Gaming. Is that it?

NVG589.JPG

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

I think if you go under Firewall -> IP Passthrough, there is a pull-down selector for what mode to operate with. The Default Server mode is one of the selections in that pull-down menu. (Default Server is the one you won't use, you'll use IP Passthrough instead).

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

Got an Asus RT-N66U.  Followed the guide here with slight changes based on follow-up posts and everthing seems to be working fine.The router did everything else for me.  

But I am curious. How does one tell if it's running double NAT? Time for Google...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.