Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Monitoring Wireless Internet Activity

Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Contributor

Monitoring Wireless Internet Activity

Hello all,

I have an AT&T U-verse account and I was wondering whether it's possible to monitor the activity of other wireless devices through my router. I used to have a router that allowed me to login and check the internet usage like URLs, etc for any device that was connected to it. Is there a similar feature for U-verse?
Message 1 of 5
Professor

Re: Monitoring Wireless Internet Activity

It's all about tradeoffs regarding functionality verses performance verses cost. Consequently, it is what it is. The question you ask is how to compensate for a function that is not available.

In the near past, I have used a product called Wireshark (Wireshark) professionally and for home use to identify causes of some communications issues for specific apps. It will definitely give you what you want though it will be a lot of additional information. If you are a purist as to how TCP/IP should work, you may be in for an awakening.

I have an ASUS router connected to my U-verse Gateway device.  All my network traffic goes through it.  It allows me to see traffic by device in my home.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

So, to be clear, there's no built in function? I would need use an application or another router?

ApexRon: What sort of drawbacks does Wireshark have? Would it noticeably slow down my internet?

Message 4 of 5
Professor

Emmav2:

No built in function. To put that function in a router costs $$ and if you don't need another router for any other reason, why bother.

Wireshark is an app that resides on your PC and does not impact your WiFi or internet in any way. Wireshark will only use the resources of your PC.

Additional Support