Need help with your equipment?
mobtek's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 4:25 PM

Max Turbo? More like Max Plus!

I had my U-Verse Internet hooked up on Friday, December 3rd with the Max Turbo plan. The line tech came out, hooked everything up, and told me I should be getting my 25/5 speed since I was about 700' from the VRAD. Instead I only get 15-17Mbps down depending on speed test and server and slightly under 0.5 Mbps up pretty consistently. The tech runs some tests, tells me there's a lot of noise on the line and schedules a splicer to come out that evening and give me a new line from the pole to a new dropbox.

That evening the splicer arrives, does exactly the above and I run several speedtests to get the exact same result. He checks his laptop in his van and tells me that there's another node connected to my line about 1000' down that was dividing my signal and schedules with me to come back the next morning to cut off that line. Next morning he shows up, cuts off the line, I run the speed tests and it's the same. He apologizes, says that he's really just a copper guy and doesn't know that much about fiber so he calls the office, consults a good while, then tells me that the line is too close to the VRAD and he needs to add an extra 1000' of line which he does underneath my house.

Once again, I run the tests and it's all still the same. Finally he tells me that his fiber guy claims that the speed I'm getting is actually very good despite it being quite a bit less than the advertised 25/5. I tell him that I'm seeing speedtest results all around the web that point at people getting about 23/2.7 a lot of the time and he just reiterates that he's a copper guy so he really doesn't know what to say.

All I seem to have left now is to call AT&T again, ask for a fiber guy to come out and give me what I'm paying for, or to drop me to Max Plus 18/1.5 with a guarantee that I won't get less than the 17/0.5 I'm currently getting. At the very least the latter plan will save me $10/month. Smiley Sad

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

OK, so you have a router-behind-router setup.

First thing to try is to remove your router from the equation and plug a computer directly to the U-Verse RG and then test your speeds.

Second, it is not possible to disable DHCP on the U-Verse router.  It has to be left on for for the U-Verse set-top boxes, even if you don't have TV service.

Third, you must have the U-Verse RG's internal subnet as a different network from your D-Link's internal subnet.  By default, the U-Verse's internal subnet is 192.168.1.0/24.  You should set your D-Link internal subnet to something different, such as 192.168.2.0/24.

Fourth, to properly use a router-behind-router setup, you need to set your router as the DMZPlus device in the U-Verse RG's configuration.

I do not see anything wrong with your line stats.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Please download U-Verse Realtime, install it, and post screenshots of the IP/Profile tab, Bitloading tab, Error Table tab, and Coax/HPNA tab.

To post screenshots here in the forum, you will need to upload them to a photo sharing site, like Picasa, Google, Photobucket, ImageShack, etc.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

Call customer service and make sure you are actually set up on the 24/3 plan.  There have been a couple of posters in here that had the same issue and when they called they weren't set up correctly

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Hosted by imgur.com Hosted by imgur.com Hosted by imgur.com Hosted by imgur.com

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Ah, 24/3 I knew that but I kept typing 25/5 without once thinking something was up.

Anyway, I did speak with a customer service rep this morning who told me that everything was set up for 24/3 on their end and that diagnostics from the office indicated that I should be receiving much closer to those speeds. I was then advised to clear my browser cache and reboot my modem. I haven't yet done either but may give a whirl for the fun of it.

Scholar

• 

277 Messages

13 years ago

How is your computer hooked up, wirless or wired?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Wired. I was previously an AT&T dry-loop DSL customer on the Elite plan. I ran from the Motorola modem to my D-Link gigabit ethernet router and also used a Linksys wireless router as an extender/access point. With the U-Verse fiber optic I simply took the new provided modem, disabled Wi-Fi and DHCP to turn it back into a dumb modem and plugged it right back into my previous setup.

Everything should be configured optimally for my home network setup, though I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

Scholar

• 

277 Messages

13 years ago

Ok, I am going to send this to my Labs guy tomorrow and let him look at your test results and the way you have everything set up.  I have a lot of thoughts on this one but would prefer to get the experts opinion first.

Have you tried hooking up directly to the 2Wire RG and doing the speed tests then?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

The first few times I ran the test was direct to my PC and I saw the same results after I connected it to the router, though I admit after the splicer came out and cut off the extra node and added the 1000' of cable I only tested it connected to the router. The connection is being used in the other room right now so I won't try a direct connection again right at this moment but I could give that a shot in a little while.

Scholar

• 

277 Messages

13 years ago

SomeJoe is the man! Smiley Happy

In the short time I have been on these forums I have yet to know him to be wrong.  Definitely try everything he posted.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.