Need help with your equipment?
sentry_1's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, November 19th, 2011 9:29 PM

MW3 NAT type, open on laptop, moderate on desktop?

Hi all, 

I am trying figure out why my NAT is open on my laptop that is connected wirelessly but on my desktop which is connected directly to the rgi, the nat shows as moderate while playing Modern Warfar 3.

Any help is appreciated.  Both machines running Win7 and no torrent programs running, also only one machine is ever running the game, never both at the same time.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, I fixed my own problem but figured I'd post it here in case anyone else has the same issue.  I started looking at what was different between my 2 computers and what it came down to was antivirus/security programs.

The laptop was running the Mcafee suite that comes free with uverse, the other pc with the nat problem was running Kaspersky.  Everything showed that MW3 was not being blocked by Kaspersky, but I could not get ann open nat.

Once I uninstalled Kaspersky and installed the Mcafee suite, everything is working fine.  Just had to click the pop up from Mcafee to allow MW3 the first time I ran it.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@sentry_1 wrote:

Hi all, 

I am trying figure out why my NAT is open on my laptop that is connected wirelessly but on my desktop which is connected directly to the rgi, the nat shows as moderate while playing Modern Warfar 3.

Any help is appreciated.  Both machines running Win7 and no torrent programs running, also only one machine is ever running the game, never both at the same time.

Been seeing alot on this lately and trying to figure out what exactly they (MW3) are trying to say when they use the terms NAT Open, Moderate, and Strict. Best I can tell is they are considering the number of open ports available for the game. As the game requires nearly 70 open ports between the TCP and UDP. So, it would apear the laptop is able to get more open ports than the desktop.

This is what I found for MW3:

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 3TCP  3074, 27014-27050 UDP  3074, 27000-27030 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I thought the same thing at first.  I tried opening those ports manualy but have not seen any change.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

Glad to see you've found a solution. I was going to mention firewalls on the computers next.

You should mark this thread as solved. It will help others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.