Need help with your equipment?
mikee366's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, January 13th, 2011 8:23 PM

Large periods of lag

Recently I've been getting large lag spikes lasting about 3-4 minutes. Browsers time out when trying to go to websites and any games get a ton of lag. However, I never actually disconnect, and during these spikes, IM clients seem to work fine.

The router shows that it never loses the DSL signal, and there are almost no corrected blocks or errors. This has been happening ever since a uverse tech came and "fixed" our internet. Before he came, we were actually disconnecting and losing the DSL signal multiple times an hour, and the router showed millions of corrected blocks and many severe errors per hour. But now, like I said, we dont lose the connection, and the router isn't showing any signs of there being a problem.

All the computers in the house experience the same issues, and they're all wireless (there are 4 computers). So I imagine the problem is some setting on everyones computers, or some setting in the router thats causing the problem, but I can't be sure.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

802 Messages

13 years ago

Sounds like your wireless channel may be clobbered. Try a different one.

Scholar

• 

261 Messages

13 years ago

Sounds like it could be wireless interference.  Do you have a microwave oven or cordless phone base station anywhere near your RG?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

No cordless phones in the house, and microwave is nowhere near the RG. The setup and position of our computers in the house hasnt changed in a while, and this is a recent problem.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Changing the wireless channel seemed to fix all the problems. I'd tried changing it before, but I guess that one was bad too. Thanks though.

Guru

• 

802 Messages

13 years ago

Glad it worked. If you live in an apt. building or denser housing area the problem may reappear. NetStumbler will help you find a relatively clear channel. 

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

Nice app to have and select a channel with the leat amount of traffic and noise. http://www.netstumbler.com/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.