Need help with your equipment?
M3TAl's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Monday, April 16th, 2012 7:28 PM

Lag/Ping spikes for past 3 days + UV Realtime Analysis

For the past three days I've had some serious lag issues making it nearly impossible to play online FPS games (constant warping/teleporting when trying to walk ingame). Last night I unplugged the RG for a good 30 seconds but that didn't fix the problem. This problem is constant... it happens all day at all times of the day/night. 

I play Battlefield 3 on a competitive league and have a match tonight but haven't been able to play for the past three days due to this issue (happens on other fps games too). I'm going to attach some UV Realtime screenshots and two client connection info's from Team Speak 3 that demonstrate the problem. I don't want to have to do a full RG reset (erases all my port forwards and gives me a new IP) because I run a home game server on another PC and that would force me to re-setup my game server and lose player stats.

Edit: In case it matters my PC is connected to Ethernet 1 and my server PC connected Ethernet 2. Also it is not just my PC getting the lag spikes. My server PC gets them too including the people connected to my game server.

This is normal ping for TS3.

This is ping when im getting the spike. I've seen worse than this too 100ms+ ping with +/- 200

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I found out my gameserver was getting DrDoS attacked due to a vulnerability in the ioquake dedicated server component and it affects all servers based on the ioquake build (Quake games, older COD's, Urban Terror, etc.). The servers are blasted with hundreds of getstatus/getinfo packets causing a large amount of outbound traffic.

So far after patching my server executable my lag spikes are gone. Hopefully they won't come back.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Ok... apparently I have the same exact problem as I had like 3 months ago. Last time the only solution that worked was doing a full reset of the RG (new IP and wiped all my port forwards). I don't want to end up with a new IP because it is a huge hassle for my game server, stats page, and forum running on my server PC. I just turned Excessive Session Detection on for my RG and it shows me this.

So that is the same problem I had 3 or so months ago. Debra-PC is my mom's laptop. Last time I scanned her laptop with 3-4 different AV and even used a blaster virus scanner tool. Those all came back clean.

Here is the weird thing... I just turned her laptop off (even unplugged the power cord and took battery out) and im still getting the Excessive Sessions Warning saying it's caused by Debra-PC. I am also still getting the lag spikes. The laptop is definately not connected to the network because my RG homepage shows it as disconnected. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

possible blaster worm?

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I guess it's time to scan all four PC's with multiple AV and the blaster removal tool. Last time it didn't find anything.

What is your favorite free AV to scan with?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

ill leave this to the people that have better knowledge and experiance on this subject

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Regarding the Excessive Sessions and a virus warning, I used to see that as well when I had it turned on.  No virus anywhere, and I don't know why it gives that warning. 

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I just scanned all 4 computers in the house with a blaster removal tool and Panda Active Scan 2.0. Only thing found were a few tracking cookies, besides that nothing. I still constantly have these huge ping/lag spikes occuring every 1-5 seconds or so. What else can I try? Is there anything useful in my UV Realtime screens?

Edit: Just refreshed broadband connection from 2wire control panel. Didn't change anything.

Edit 2: OK now I did a Reboot System from Diagnostics - Resets. That made the spikes go away for aproximately 3 minutes and 30 seconds (after connection was re-established). Then they came back.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Glad you figured out the fix!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.