For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
KenHuynh16's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, July 17th, 2018 1:21 AM

Internet Data Usage

Recently, over the last two billing periods, my family has went over our internet data limit, which is something that has never happened before and I was hoping wouldn't happen again. However, our usage is getting dangerously close to the limit again this period, so I decided to monitor it this time, so I waited a little past midnight to check the usage on myAT&T for the new day and just an hour past midnight, there was 11GB already downloaded. I don't even know how something like that is even possible or how AT&T actually calculates the data usage for their Billing & Usage page each day, but something isn't right. I know every device that is connected to the WiFi, and I know our family uses a lot of internet, but I even I don't think we're capable of using 11GB within an hour past midnight. So, I plan on turning off our router slightly before midnight and checking each device by adding them on individually to absolutely make sure it isn't us. I know for a fact, it's not any of our phones, laptops, or tablet that's causing this problem, but there's a Roku and chromecast I haven't accounted for, so I guess we'll see. If anyone else has any other advice or solutions, it'd be very much appreciated.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

6 years ago

I'm having the same problem except there is just one of me.  I do have two rokus for two tv's.  Other than those, my pc and an "other" device is connected to my internet.  I keep reading that I can manage these devices (I'd like to disconnect the "other" but can't find the way to do that).  I just checked my usage for today and it says I'vd used 50 gb today already and all I've got on is my pc trying to figure this mess out.  I was charged an extra $100 this month and if this continues, I'm disconnect both the internet and DirectTvNow!! Especially since I can't get any help with this mess.  Chat is useless.  They just keep going around and around in circles.  I'm about at the end of my rope.  I shouldn't be using this much data yet no one will tell me what to look for or what to do to change it.  I guess they think they're going to charge me another $100 next month.  But that's not going to happen!!

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

6 years ago

Im on the discounted rate of $10 per month for internet.  Would I qualify for the $30 unlimited deal?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I'm in the same position, got a new router, slowed down usage some for a couple of days, but it's alarming.  One lovely customer service rep suggested I "call the police".  I will let you know if I can come up with a clear answer, but at the moment I feel like I'm being manipulated into getting DirectTV or or a higher usage plan.  No Bueno!  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

After doing a lot of research, it looks like the actual router I've gotten (twice) has a number of security issues.  I'll see what customer retention will do to address this, as fixing it myself is pretty complicated and AT&T isn't paying me enough to do this.  Wait, I'm paying them!  Arris Router Flaws

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

My usage doesn't reflect current month

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

We were "accosted" at Sams and signed up for Direct in order to stop "going over" our limit.  We never could understand it anyway due to both of us are in our 70s and don't do much streaming.  Anyway, the huckster who worked for Direct and signed us up promised the same thing and when we got our bill lo and behold we were charged AGAIN with too much data usage!  I called AT&T

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Somehow I got cut off.  To resume:  I called AT&T and was told having Direct TV WOULD NOT have anything to do with eliminating any overage!!!  So, either the "employee" is wrong or someone is lying to me!!

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I strongly suggest you call and ask for "customer retention" and tell them what is happening.  I do know that some subscriptions allow you unlimited data, but you shouldn't really have to have it.  If the directTV doesn't include this they should still work with you somehow and you shouldn't be held to a contract if it was under false pretense.
Re: the data overage, we started UNPLUGGING our devices when we weren't using them (the Roku box and stick) and the vampire that was leaching our data finally gave up, I guess.
Best of luck, don't give up!  The words "please escalate this" should get you to someone who can help you.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.