Need help with your equipment?
sdcates's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, November 8th, 2015 5:26 PM

Intermittent Internet Issue with U-verse Internet TV package

I have had ATT Uverse Internet and TV since Sept 2015 at a house built in 2006 in a small neighborhood that is fairly close in proximity to each other. I had pitiful service from  ATT Uverse TV and Internet at my previous apartment which is less than half a mile from here and was built in the last 3 years. I got service installed at the house and expected better overall performance. Wifi interference issues due to the apartments close proximity per the technicians diagnosis were somewhat understandable but now I had a better opportunity to get good internet service and so far it has been much worse. I pay for 55Mbps and I have problems streaming Pandora on the lowest setting much less ever completing a movie on Netflix and sometimes even have problems with movies on Uverse. You can't connect anyones phone to Wifi cause it causes problems as frequent as the wifi goes down. I have had the modem replaced, extenders installed, channells changed....etc but to no avail. I finally downloaded Farproc’s Wi-Fi Analyzer to my Galaxy tablet and a shocking discovery was made. No wonder ATT trucks are in my neighborhood daily trying to solve complaints! My wifi goes down for 5-12 seconds every 40-70 seconds. This is from the main modem even when I am within 2 ft from it. No interference problems can be blamed! It is a system problem. I watch my neighbors not go down at all. I walked over and discussed with him and the only difference is he has Direct for tv vs our Uverse for tv. I noticed several other neighbors going down like mine as well as I walked around the neighborhood with the wifi analyzer. I can assume they are struggling with internet as well. I am going to give you guys one last shot to get this problem corrected or I will be forced to jump ship and also discuss with the whole neighborhood. My account number is: [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information] The best phone number to reach me at is [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]. My expectations are to get connected to the right person to get this resolved without having to go through the time consuming steps I have already taken again (calling in to level one customer service, getting scheduled for a tech that was not qualified to fix this issue, etc). I also want a credit on my bill for the internet I have paid for to date that is not up to standard. I really appreciate your help in advance!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

In original post of issue when IPv6 was enabled my wifi signal would go completly down for 5-12 seconds every 40-70 seconds. Now it never goes down. All my ATT neighbors still go down like mine was.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@sdcates wrote:

In original post of issue when IPv6 was enabled my wifi signal would go completly down for 5-12 seconds every 40-70 seconds. Now it never goes down. All my ATT neighbors still go down like mine was.

Okay, so when you say your Wi-FI signal went down, what that translates to is that your gateway rebooted and while it was rebooting the Wi-Fi signal was gone.  Now, gateway no longer reboots (most likely because you've disabled IPv6) so it doesn't quit providing Wi-Fi signal while it reboots.

@sdcates wrote:

I mean is ATT is responsible for renting me something that does not work and then hiding behind the interference line of crap. They also stated the router was only good for about 25Mbps so that would put it in the "low quality/cheap" category if that was fact.

All-in-one units are rarely as good as a set of purpose built items.  Remember the old audio component systems when you had to buy a good turn table, tape deck and receiver instead of buying the all-in-a-box unit if you wanted quality?  Would you buy a TV with the DVR built in or would you rather have separate units?

The Wi-Fi of the Gateway is not great.  It's all right, but it's not great.  I recommend to anyone who is really worried about their Wi-Fi to not depend on anything "thrown in" by the ISP.  Get your own Wireless Router or Access Point with the features and bandwidth you want and turn the Wi-Fi on the Gateway off.

@sdcates wrote:

I am still dropping streams but not dropping Wifi since disabling IPv6. Example: if wifi calling on cell you will drop call multiple times. If streaming Pandora or Slacker you will loose it multiple times

Have you ever tried to find an relatively unoccupied channel and locked your Gateway at that channel?  This may be a case of the Gateway channel hopping to find a clear frequency and leaving clients behind to find its new channel.  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

If you mean the Wifi frequency channell then yes. I switched to one that only had one other device in the neighborhood on it. Of course my 2nd tech was suppose to have done that for me but the channell he had me on was very cluttered with neighbors.

I guess I will buy a good router and bridge the ATT modem and see if I can't get at least up to 45Mbps. I am getting Time Warner 300Mbps in about 2 weeks (with Direct TV for TV stream) and I am renting their modem to prove I can get close to 300Mbps hardwired after install. If it works I will buy a modem and confirm I still have close to 300Mbps hardwired. I would like to see 100Mbps+ true wireless speed from this set up with my own router so I will start shopping now with that end goal in mind.

I really appreciate your time and help as you seem to know your stuff!

Scholar

• 

168 Messages

8 years ago

Uverse is crap. If I had a choice, I would rather get something else. Cable is so much better.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

From a self-recognized non-tech savvy guy I'm wondering if my issue is related.  We just brought U-verse (18 mbps) into our home.  Most devices are connected and appear to be running okay.  An on-line game I play on an IPAD is now routinely is having issues with signal drop for 5-12 seconds every 40-70 seconds (killing me).  I think the problem is worse when my spouse is browsing the web on her iPhone near-by.  Ideas/Suggestions?  Not sure what IPv6 is, or how to go about disabling.  Looking for help.  I still have my old wifi router.  Should I consider "bridging" (?) by hardwiring it into the U-verse box and moving back to using it for gaming?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

If you have the NVG589 RG, type http://192.168.1.254 into your web browser address bar. Click the home network tab and then the configure tab. IPV6 will either be on or off. If on, change to off and save.

Let us know if that helps.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I had a similar problem with Sonos dropping frequently.  It was suggested by forum users and by one ATT tech to discontinued IPv6.  I did that, but it did not solve the problem. 

I finally called Sonos.  The Sonos tech was aware of the problem.  He solved it by fixing the channels of the ATT Gateway and of Sonos on different channels.  Since then, no problems.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

The system was installed in 12/31/16. Next day already no internet and tv connected. 2 technical guys came to check inside and out but still having issue.

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @AWatanabe,

Sorry to read of your experience. Our technicians will do their best to make sure you services are working. If you need further assistance, please us know. 

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

yes

thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.