Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Intermittent Internet Issue with U-verse Internet TV package

Highlighted
Tutor

Intermittent Internet Issue with U-verse Internet TV package

I have had ATT Uverse Internet and TV since Sept 2015 at a house built in 2006 in a small neighborhood that is fairly close in proximity to each other. I had pitiful service from  ATT Uverse TV and Internet at my previous apartment which is less than half a mile from here and was built in the last 3 years. I got service installed at the house and expected better overall performance. Wifi interference issues due to the apartments close proximity per the technicians diagnosis were somewhat understandable but now I had a better opportunity to get good internet service and so far it has been much worse. I pay for 55Mbps and I have problems streaming Pandora on the lowest setting much less ever completing a movie on Netflix and sometimes even have problems with movies on Uverse. You can't connect anyones phone to Wifi cause it causes problems as frequent as the wifi goes down. I have had the modem replaced, extenders installed, channells changed....etc but to no avail. I finally downloaded Farproc’s Wi-Fi Analyzer to my Galaxy tablet and a shocking discovery was made. No wonder ATT trucks are in my neighborhood daily trying to solve complaints! My wifi goes down for 5-12 seconds every 40-70 seconds. This is from the main modem even when I am within 2 ft from it. No interference problems can be blamed! It is a system problem. I watch my neighbors not go down at all. I walked over and discussed with him and the only difference is he has Direct for tv vs our Uverse for tv. I noticed several other neighbors going down like mine as well as I walked around the neighborhood with the wifi analyzer. I can assume they are struggling with internet as well. I am going to give you guys one last shot to get this problem corrected or I will be forced to jump ship and also discuss with the whole neighborhood. My account number is: [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information] The best phone number to reach me at is [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]. My expectations are to get connected to the right person to get this resolved without having to go through the time consuming steps I have already taken again (calling in to level one customer service, getting scheduled for a tech that was not qualified to fix this issue, etc). I also want a credit on my bill for the internet I have paid for to date that is not up to standard. I really appreciate your help in advance!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 25
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by sdcates
‎11-16-2015 9:34 AM

Re: Intermittent Internet Issue with U-verse Internet TV package

@sdcates   If you happen to have a 510/589/599 Arris/Moto RG, IPv6 causes disconnects, rebooting and browsing problems.

Disable IPv6 in the RG's Gui. http://192.168.1.254/

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 25
Tutor

Please translate into English.

Message 3 of 25
Tutor

Disabling IPv6 as a band aide to ATT's real underlying issue fixed the drop issue. I also used Wifi frequency analyzer app to move to a better channell. With these two changes I have not dropped signal but the speed is still pathetic! I see anywhere from 11mbps to 22mbps max depending on when I test it and probably TV service requirements. Of course option is to bridge modem and buy my own wifi router and continue to pay ridiculous price for slow unreliable internet with a band aide or try a different service. I think I will try a different service. Will post results in a few weeks. I feel sorry for my poor neighbors as all there systems drop regularly on my wifi analyzer and I am debating trying to explain this to them as most of them are frustrated with ATT as well.
Message 4 of 25
Professor

silly me.. i'd discuss it with the whole neighborhood anyways.. just sayin'...

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/04/when-att-promises-broadband-but-delivers-only-300kbps/

Message 5 of 25
Expert

@sdcates wrote:
Disabling IPv6 as a band aide to ATT's real underlying issue fixed the drop issue. I also used Wifi frequency analyzer app to move to a better channell. With these two changes I have not dropped signal but the speed is still pathetic! I see anywhere from 11mbps to 22mbps max depending on when I test it and probably TV service requirements. Of course option is to bridge modem and buy my own wifi router and continue to pay ridiculous price for slow unreliable internet with a band aide or try a different service. I think I will try a different service. Will post results in a few weeks. I feel sorry for my poor neighbors as all there systems drop regularly on my wifi analyzer and I am debating trying to explain this to them as most of them are frustrated with ATT as well.

Each HD stream uses 5.7M and SD stream 2.6M from your profile (32, 25,19).  Add M of streams and subtrat from your profile in M, giving you the Internet speed available.

Any user w/18M and above Internet plans will see it lowered from TV watching/recording. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 6 of 25
Tutor

Right now at 1:48pm on a weekday with all TVs off I am getting 45Mbps straight cable to modem/router and only 11Mbps wireless standing right next to it. 

I believe this top of the line new style router is a piece of junk for one. Direct TV will be here in the morning and I will get rid of all TV load. Still I don't like being told that Wifi is my problem when I know better. If they really believed that they would have offered to hardwire more rooms!

Message 7 of 25
ACE - Expert

@sdcates wrote:

Right now at 1:48pm on a weekday with all TVs off I am getting 45Mbps straight cable to modem/router and only 11Mbps wireless standing right next to it. 

I believe this top of the line new style router is a piece of junk for one. Direct TV will be here in the morning and I will get rid of all TV load. Still I don't like being told that Wifi is my problem when I know better. If they really believed that they would have offered to hardwire more rooms!

Um... if you're getting 45 Mbps on a cable, and 11 Mbsp wireless, how can you possibly say that WiFi is not your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 25
Tutor

One last thing....I am still dropping streams but not dropping Wifi since disabling IPv6. Example: if wifi calling on cell you will drop call multiple times. If streaming Pandora or Slacker you will loose it multiple times but you never see the Wifi drop signal anymore. Any thoughts?

Message 9 of 25
ACE - Expert

@sdcates wrote:

One last thing....I am still dropping streams but not dropping Wifi since disabling IPv6. Example: if wifi calling on cell you will drop call multiple times. If streaming Pandora or Slacker you will loose it multiple times but you never see the Wifi drop signal anymore. Any thoughts?

When you say you "never see the Wifi drop signal anymore" what do you mean by that, in comparison to before?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 25
Tutor

I mean is ATT is responsible for renting me something that does not work and then hiding behind the interference line of crap. They also stated the router was only good for about 25Mbps so that would put it in the "low quality/cheap" category if that was fact.

Message 11 of 25
Tutor

In original post of issue when IPv6 was enabled my wifi signal would go completly down for 5-12 seconds every 40-70 seconds. Now it never goes down. All my ATT neighbors still go down like mine was.

Message 12 of 25
ACE - Expert

@sdcates wrote:

In original post of issue when IPv6 was enabled my wifi signal would go completly down for 5-12 seconds every 40-70 seconds. Now it never goes down. All my ATT neighbors still go down like mine was.

Okay, so when you say your Wi-FI signal went down, what that translates to is that your gateway rebooted and while it was rebooting the Wi-Fi signal was gone.  Now, gateway no longer reboots (most likely because you've disabled IPv6) so it doesn't quit providing Wi-Fi signal while it reboots.

@sdcates wrote:

I mean is ATT is responsible for renting me something that does not work and then hiding behind the interference line of crap. They also stated the router was only good for about 25Mbps so that would put it in the "low quality/cheap" category if that was fact.

All-in-one units are rarely as good as a set of purpose built items.  Remember the old audio component systems when you had to buy a good turn table, tape deck and receiver instead of buying the all-in-a-box unit if you wanted quality?  Would you buy a TV with the DVR built in or would you rather have separate units?

The Wi-Fi of the Gateway is not great.  It's all right, but it's not great.  I recommend to anyone who is really worried about their Wi-Fi to not depend on anything "thrown in" by the ISP.  Get your own Wireless Router or Access Point with the features and bandwidth you want and turn the Wi-Fi on the Gateway off.

@sdcates wrote:

I am still dropping streams but not dropping Wifi since disabling IPv6. Example: if wifi calling on cell you will drop call multiple times. If streaming Pandora or Slacker you will loose it multiple times

Have you ever tried to find an relatively unoccupied channel and locked your Gateway at that channel?  This may be a case of the Gateway channel hopping to find a clear frequency and leaving clients behind to find its new channel.  

Message 13 of 25
Tutor

If you mean the Wifi frequency channell then yes. I switched to one that only had one other device in the neighborhood on it. Of course my 2nd tech was suppose to have done that for me but the channell he had me on was very cluttered with neighbors.

I guess I will buy a good router and bridge the ATT modem and see if I can't get at least up to 45Mbps. I am getting Time Warner 300Mbps in about 2 weeks (with Direct TV for TV stream) and I am renting their modem to prove I can get close to 300Mbps hardwired after install. If it works I will buy a modem and confirm I still have close to 300Mbps hardwired. I would like to see 100Mbps+ true wireless speed from this set up with my own router so I will start shopping now with that end goal in mind.

I really appreciate your time and help as you seem to know your stuff!

Message 14 of 25

Uverse is crap. If I had a choice, I would rather get something else. Cable is so much better.

Message 15 of 25
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support