Need help with your equipment?
frostcall's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 10:06 PM

How do I put my NVG589 in bridge mode?

Overview

Most people don't need advanced features that personally owned routers offer and will be just fine using the NVG589 and turning off their personally owned router.  But if you're like me (and I know I am!) then you are probably reading this thread because you have ip cameras, personal clouds, photo servers, guest wifi, VPN's, xbox, QOS settings, et al.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U , a VIP2250, and a wireless reciever with a WAP; but your settings should be similar. 

The NVG589 does not have a simple 'Bridge mode' setting so you will need to get into weeds to get this working.  I hope you're ready.

First Steps

Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG589.

Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG589 except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop.

Write down the MAC address of your personal router (the WAN MAC address if you see different ones for LAN and WAN)

Settings on the NVG589

• Login to your NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
  • Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'.  Your password is on the side of the modem.
  • If your 'Device IPv4 Address' is the same subnet as your local router, I suggest changing it.  I changed mine to 192.169.2.254 but you can stick with whatever you like / need.  My subnet Mask remains at 255.255.255.0
  • Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.169.2.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
  • Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5, Just a few more than the Start Address.  We need these for any WAP extenders for wifi TV's.  It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point.
  • Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
  • Go to 'Home Network'  then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off.  You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
  • Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'.  Disable Packet Filters.  Again, we want our router to do the work.
  • Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
  • Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'.  For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
  • For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)
  • For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
  • Type in the MAC address for your router under 'Manual Entry', lowercase is fine.
  • Click SAVE.  It will tell you that it needs to reboot.  Hang on for a minute.
  • Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
  • Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes.

Personal Router Settings.

• Unplug your laptop and plug in your personal router while the NVG589 reboots.  
  • Plug your laptop into your personal router and login to it.  For me, it was 192.168.1.1 (hence why I changed things above)
  • For the ASUS RT-N66U, I had to go to my WAN settings, then 'Internet Connection'.
  • Change 'WAN Connection Type' to 'Automatic IP'.  This will give your personal router the external IP of the NVG589 and is the key to making this whole thing work. Some folks will have to manually enter in an IP and this can be found under the 'Broadband - Status' section of the NVG589 settings.  If you don't have 'automatic IP' then I feel bad for you since you will have to manually change this every time your IP changes.
  • 'Enable WAN', 'Enable NAT' and 'Enable UPnP' is all set to YES for me.  
  • I recomend Setting your own DNS server.  I use Google's but you use whatever you like.  Google's is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • 'Account Setting - Authentication' is 'None'.
  • There are no Special requirements from ISP at the bottom.
  • Hit APPLY at the bottom and your router will reboot.

I also changed settings in my IPTV under LAN:

• Profile was None.
  • Choose IPTV STB port, I set to LAN3 & LAN4.  I plugged my U-Verse WAP for the wireless reciver into the NVG589 and I plugged the ethernet cable going to the VIP2250 into LAN3 on my personal router.  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but I'm having 0 issues with this setup.  I initially tried putting the WAP on my personal router but had issues so I stuck it back on the NVG589 and it's fine.  I could probably just plug the VIP2250 into the NVG589 as well but I'm just enjoying the small victory of using my personal router for now.  
  • Hit apply at the bottom, another possible reboot.

At this point, I checked the internet and everything was working great through the router.  I restarted by 2 TV boxes (the VIP and the wifi ones).  Everything is peachy.

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

EDIT to update WAP configuration. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

@chester59 wrote:

I followed these instructions with my D-Link DIR-880L and everything (PC, Roku, phone, etc.) is working great with the exception of my live cable.  When I select a channel, it plays fine for 5-10 seconds, freezes, and then I get the "U-verse signal has been lost" screen with the standard troubleshooting instructions.  I've tried resetting my modem and receiver, but the issue still persists.  Note that this occurs when I have the DVR connected into the D-Link, but it works fine if I connect the DVR directly to the NVG.  I'd like to have everything run through the D-Link, if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is causing this and how to correct it?  I really appreciate any guidance.

The D-Link DIR-880L is a router.  There are very few consumer routers that properly implement multicast/IGMPv3, and D-link does not claim IPTV or IGMPv3 support for this device.  What you are seeing is that when you change channels, the temporary unicast feed works, but after 10 seconds the unicast feed cuts off because it is supposed to have been replaced by a multicast feed... but the multicast feed never gets to the DVR because the DIR-880L doesn't know what to do with it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Makes sense!  Thanks for educating me, JefferMC.  The DVR will stay plugged into the NVG.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

One issue I just ran into was getting my 2nd wireless tv box working after making these changes. I didn't know it was related to this, I thought the box just stopped working so ATT replaced it and the new box is doing the same thing. The issue was this step: 

Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5

I found per this thread that any wireless box connected to the WAP is treated like a wired device and then it clicked - the 2nd wireless tv box wasn't getting an IP address. This didn't make sense at first because the only 3 things plugged into the gateway are my Asus RT-1900P router, the WAP, and the DVR. However, there were 5 devices listed there with IP addresses, so the gateway couldn't allocate any new IP addresses and the wireless tv box wasn't smart enough to tell you that. So I increased the DHCPv4 End Address to:

and rebooted the wireless tv box, it did an update, and it works just fine now. 

Hope this helps some other people in the future if you run into this. IMO, the OP (@frostcall) should update the post to make this change, just in case others have a few boxes and could have the same issues. And in all reality, I don't see an issue with changing it to .254 so that if you have even 200 wireless boxes, this won't be an issue. (Corner case and unrealistic, I know, but maybe you have 8 wireless boxes and you'll run into an issue leaving it at .10)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

6 years ago

Hello.  Performed a variation of these instructions on a TP-WR841HP router I had laying around, mostly to see how well the IP Passthrough function works. Arris RGs are new to me, always had Pace equipment up until recently.

For starters, I have a PC with two NICs near the RG and connected one to the RG, NVG599, and the other to the TPLink router.  Made it easier to access both sets of admin screens simultaneously.  

One of the objectives is to make as few modifications to the configuration in an attempt to keep them as stock as possible since I do factory resets more often than I'd like.

Modifications to the Arris RG

The TPLink router's default subnet is already different than the Arris device, so no need to make any of these changes.

On the IP Passthrough screen, selected Passthrough for Allocation Mode, DHCPS-Fixed for Passthrough Mode, and for Passthrough Fixed MAC Address, the MAC address for the secondary router was available to be selected from the pick list.

Packet Filter was disabled.  <--  How important is this?  Seems to me this should be a no-op if the RG is just in passthrough mode.

NAT Default server is Off.

Firewall advanced settings were left untouched.

Modifications to the secondary router

Not much to do here.  Went to the WAN page, released the IP config which was using an IP from the RG.  Click renew and the lightspeed public IP got populated.  Restarted the router.

All basic testing looks fine.  Performance seems fine.

Please note that the Uverse DVR and secondary settop box devices are both connected directly to the RG.

Any concerns or noted flaws in this approach?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

@gr8sho wrote:

Hello.  Performed a variation of these instructions on a TP-WR841HP router I had laying around, ...

Any concerns or noted flaws in this approach?

Looks good from here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Has anyone had any luck using the nvg589 with a Cisco Meraki MX64 security appliance? I have setup everything according to the article above, but when I cable the MX to my wall, I lose connectivity to everything. It doesn't seem to matter whether I statically assign my public IP address to the MX or let it pick it up via DHCP. Any authentication rules on the AT&T side that I may be missing? 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

At these points: 

Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'. For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)

I CAN NOT TYPE IN OR SELECT 192.169.2.1 because the window where I supposed to type the ip addres is not active, when you click on it it doesnt let you to typr anything

how can I solve it?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

At these points:
Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'. For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)

I CAN NOT TYPE IN OR SELECT 192.169.2.1 because the window where I supposed to type the ip addres is not active, when you click on it it doesnt let you to typr anything

how can I solve it?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

Unfortunately, I just replaced my NVG 589 last week, so I can't get to those screens any more. I do know that those fields protect/unprotect based on your selections  Can you do a screenshot of the screen at the point when you're having an issue?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

IMG_0893.JPG

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.