For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
frostcall's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 10:06 PM

How do I put my NVG589 in bridge mode?

Overview

Most people don't need advanced features that personally owned routers offer and will be just fine using the NVG589 and turning off their personally owned router.  But if you're like me (and I know I am!) then you are probably reading this thread because you have ip cameras, personal clouds, photo servers, guest wifi, VPN's, xbox, QOS settings, et al.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U , a VIP2250, and a wireless reciever with a WAP; but your settings should be similar. 

The NVG589 does not have a simple 'Bridge mode' setting so you will need to get into weeds to get this working.  I hope you're ready.

First Steps

Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG589.

Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG589 except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop.

Write down the MAC address of your personal router (the WAN MAC address if you see different ones for LAN and WAN)

Settings on the NVG589

• Login to your NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
  • Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'.  Your password is on the side of the modem.
  • If your 'Device IPv4 Address' is the same subnet as your local router, I suggest changing it.  I changed mine to 192.169.2.254 but you can stick with whatever you like / need.  My subnet Mask remains at 255.255.255.0
  • Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.169.2.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
  • Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5, Just a few more than the Start Address.  We need these for any WAP extenders for wifi TV's.  It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point.
  • Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
  • Go to 'Home Network'  then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off.  You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
  • Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'.  Disable Packet Filters.  Again, we want our router to do the work.
  • Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
  • Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'.  For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
  • For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)
  • For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
  • Type in the MAC address for your router under 'Manual Entry', lowercase is fine.
  • Click SAVE.  It will tell you that it needs to reboot.  Hang on for a minute.
  • Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
  • Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes.

Personal Router Settings.

• Unplug your laptop and plug in your personal router while the NVG589 reboots.  
  • Plug your laptop into your personal router and login to it.  For me, it was 192.168.1.1 (hence why I changed things above)
  • For the ASUS RT-N66U, I had to go to my WAN settings, then 'Internet Connection'.
  • Change 'WAN Connection Type' to 'Automatic IP'.  This will give your personal router the external IP of the NVG589 and is the key to making this whole thing work. Some folks will have to manually enter in an IP and this can be found under the 'Broadband - Status' section of the NVG589 settings.  If you don't have 'automatic IP' then I feel bad for you since you will have to manually change this every time your IP changes.
  • 'Enable WAN', 'Enable NAT' and 'Enable UPnP' is all set to YES for me.  
  • I recomend Setting your own DNS server.  I use Google's but you use whatever you like.  Google's is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • 'Account Setting - Authentication' is 'None'.
  • There are no Special requirements from ISP at the bottom.
  • Hit APPLY at the bottom and your router will reboot.

I also changed settings in my IPTV under LAN:

• Profile was None.
  • Choose IPTV STB port, I set to LAN3 & LAN4.  I plugged my U-Verse WAP for the wireless reciver into the NVG589 and I plugged the ethernet cable going to the VIP2250 into LAN3 on my personal router.  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but I'm having 0 issues with this setup.  I initially tried putting the WAP on my personal router but had issues so I stuck it back on the NVG589 and it's fine.  I could probably just plug the VIP2250 into the NVG589 as well but I'm just enjoying the small victory of using my personal router for now.  
  • Hit apply at the bottom, another possible reboot.

At this point, I checked the internet and everything was working great through the router.  I restarted by 2 TV boxes (the VIP and the wifi ones).  Everything is peachy.

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

EDIT to update WAP configuration. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Sure. Two were ATT Voice/VOIP, one was LTE and ATT Voice both. Support even tested one of their lines while I was on the phone. He had them call in as well. None were on Wi-Fi calling. I have a few friends who have called using wi-fi calling with no issues. But as I said before, it was mostly random except one. Who could never call in. That was on ATT Voice.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

An AT&T employee referred me to this massive thread after I appealed last month for help port-forwarding a DVR-based security camera system, and Im a little discouraged that this may be another dead-end.

Im hoping Im wrong, so please bear with me...

I am upgrading a currently functioning set of Panasonic IP cameras to a Samsung SDR-B3300, DVR-based 4-camera system (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4-ch-720p-hd-4x4/prod16050070.ip).

The existing IP cameras each use a single port (like 8000) but the DVR-based system wants a set of ports; an HTTP port (like 80 or 8001) in addition to a "device" port, which is a range of ports from 4520 - 4524.

By default, the Samsung DVR expects UPNP to be enabled on the router, which apparently isnt possible with the customized gateway AT&T uses for U-verse.

My current gateway is a Motorola NVG510, configured for IP pass-thru to a Linksys E1200.

I opened those ports on both the NVG510 and E1200 to the best of my knowledge, but while the Open Port Check Tool shows my older IP camera port 8000 open, none of the other "opened" DVR ports are visible to canyouseeme.org.

The DVR is accessible to computers on my LAN, but I want to use the iPOLiS DDNS and smartphone apps Samsung provides for this device outside of my local network.

As popular as this camera system appears to be, I would think someone would have had success using it on U-verse, yet everything I have found online (and in this forum) sofar are very generalized tips or instruction manual excerpts that dont really address the problem.

I can see AT&T shunning UPNP, but there has to be a workaround. Port 8000 seems to be open (since I can see the panasonic camera) but the other ports seem to be duds.... but is it just open (or blocked) ports, or am I overlooking something obvious?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

IP passthrough dynamic is what worked for me with above settings.

WIFI on modem needs to be disabled.

It would be good to know how to set up the other firewall settings between modem and router.

thanks, this was helpful.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I put my router in bridge mode and installed an ASUS AC1900 router. My wireless internet works great and my wired uverse reciever is working.

My wireless uverse recievers are not working. Any suggestions?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

@pittsproblem wrote:

I put my router in bridge mode and installed an ASUS AC1900 router. My wireless internet works great and my wired uverse reciever is working.

My wireless uverse recievers are not working. Any suggestions?

How is the U-verse WAP connected to the U-verse Gateway?  (The correct answer is directly via Ethernet cable, no other answer accepted. 🙂 )

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Before seeing this reply, i moved the wap ethernet cable from the gateway to my new router & restarted the wap. This actually got 1 vip1200 receiver working but the vip2250 and other vip1200 still don't work. If i manually restart the receivers they work for a few minutes but then display "uverse signal has been lost" message.
Should i move the wap ethernet cable back to the gateway?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

@pittsproblem wrote:

Should i move the wap ethernet cable back to the gateway?

Yes!  You should not route U-verse IPPV traffic (to the WAP or directly to any receiver) through a router (unless you know what IGMPv3 is, know that your router supports it properly, are willing to dianose any issues you have, etc.)

How close is your WAP located to your router and U-verse Gateway?  There should be at least 3 feet (I'd prefer more) of separation between each of them.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I plugged the wap into the gateway and seperated all the units by ~ 3 feet. Now the vip2250 reciever is working but the (2) vip1200 recievers are not working.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

Are the normal lights lit on the WAP?  How about the wireless recievers?  Do they put a message on the TV screen?

Also, try:

1. Remove power from the Gateway, the WAP and all the Receivers.
  2. Then plug in the Gateway, wait until it's booted.
  3. Plug in the DVR, wait until it's booted.
  4. Plug in the WAP, wait until it's booted.
  5. Then plug in each of the wireless receivers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have vivint also and my panel doesn't want to connect to my att router. Why?? I changed network name and password and since then it hasn't worked.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.