Need help with your equipment?
frostcall's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 10:06 PM

How do I put my NVG589 in bridge mode?

Overview

Most people don't need advanced features that personally owned routers offer and will be just fine using the NVG589 and turning off their personally owned router.  But if you're like me (and I know I am!) then you are probably reading this thread because you have ip cameras, personal clouds, photo servers, guest wifi, VPN's, xbox, QOS settings, et al.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U , a VIP2250, and a wireless reciever with a WAP; but your settings should be similar. 

The NVG589 does not have a simple 'Bridge mode' setting so you will need to get into weeds to get this working.  I hope you're ready.

First Steps

Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG589.

Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG589 except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop.

Write down the MAC address of your personal router (the WAN MAC address if you see different ones for LAN and WAN)

Settings on the NVG589

• Login to your NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
  • Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'.  Your password is on the side of the modem.
  • If your 'Device IPv4 Address' is the same subnet as your local router, I suggest changing it.  I changed mine to 192.169.2.254 but you can stick with whatever you like / need.  My subnet Mask remains at 255.255.255.0
  • Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.169.2.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
  • Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5, Just a few more than the Start Address.  We need these for any WAP extenders for wifi TV's.  It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point.
  • Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
  • Go to 'Home Network'  then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off.  You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
  • Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'.  Disable Packet Filters.  Again, we want our router to do the work.
  • Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
  • Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'.  For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
  • For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)
  • For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
  • Type in the MAC address for your router under 'Manual Entry', lowercase is fine.
  • Click SAVE.  It will tell you that it needs to reboot.  Hang on for a minute.
  • Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
  • Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes.

Personal Router Settings.

• Unplug your laptop and plug in your personal router while the NVG589 reboots.  
  • Plug your laptop into your personal router and login to it.  For me, it was 192.168.1.1 (hence why I changed things above)
  • For the ASUS RT-N66U, I had to go to my WAN settings, then 'Internet Connection'.
  • Change 'WAN Connection Type' to 'Automatic IP'.  This will give your personal router the external IP of the NVG589 and is the key to making this whole thing work. Some folks will have to manually enter in an IP and this can be found under the 'Broadband - Status' section of the NVG589 settings.  If you don't have 'automatic IP' then I feel bad for you since you will have to manually change this every time your IP changes.
  • 'Enable WAN', 'Enable NAT' and 'Enable UPnP' is all set to YES for me.  
  • I recomend Setting your own DNS server.  I use Google's but you use whatever you like.  Google's is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • 'Account Setting - Authentication' is 'None'.
  • There are no Special requirements from ISP at the bottom.
  • Hit APPLY at the bottom and your router will reboot.

I also changed settings in my IPTV under LAN:

• Profile was None.
  • Choose IPTV STB port, I set to LAN3 & LAN4.  I plugged my U-Verse WAP for the wireless reciver into the NVG589 and I plugged the ethernet cable going to the VIP2250 into LAN3 on my personal router.  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but I'm having 0 issues with this setup.  I initially tried putting the WAP on my personal router but had issues so I stuck it back on the NVG589 and it's fine.  I could probably just plug the VIP2250 into the NVG589 as well but I'm just enjoying the small victory of using my personal router for now.  
  • Hit apply at the bottom, another possible reboot.

At this point, I checked the internet and everything was working great through the router.  I restarted by 2 TV boxes (the VIP and the wifi ones).  Everything is peachy.

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

EDIT to update WAP configuration. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

442 Messages

10 years ago

A couple of notes I would like to make on this. for the most part it's correct.

Bullet 1.) 192.169.2.254-

would not change it outside the 192.168.x.x class network specification. Doing this can cause some connectivity , DNS, and routing problems going outside the class. 

Example (and yes I did this once!)--

I changed my base IP address to 135.153.1.1 as well as changed everything else. Everything worked ok till I do a traceroute or a path ping. This problem was really pervasive when on my iphone, speed tests would be way, way off, and wireless would sometimes have problems connecting. many times the first hop which should be my router didn't resolve properly and I also created other DNS problems (page can't be displayed, etc...) For this example I would stay within the confines of the wikipedia entry for private network. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

It states

24-bit block

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 16,777,216
single class A network
10.0.0.0/8 (255.0.0.0)
24 bits
8 bits

20-bit block
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 1,048,576
16 contiguous class B networks 172.16.0.0/12 (255.240.0.0)
20 bits 12 bits

of course the common block everyone with a router uses.

16-bit block
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
256 contiguous class C networks 192.168.0.0/16 (255.255.0.0)
16 bits 16 bits

In this addendum I would say use
192.168.2.254 or 192.168.168.10.254

172.16.0.1 or 172.17.0.1

10.20.1.1 or 10.30.1.1

Either or would be fine.

Avoid the headache I created and stay within a private network setting. most DNS boxes already know what the private networks are. If you stay within the confines of them you are not adding frustration to your cause.

Bullet 3 to bullet 5.) a tweak of subnets and IP's

Now you can leave this at 255.255.255.0 /24 (default) which would give you 254 Ip addresses on that NVG589 to use. however if you are not going to use them just eliminate them. Much less work on broadcasting that the router will have to do. Since you are passing the IP right to your router anyway save the work for the router behind.

for instance if you want a shorter range

255.255.255.240 would allow 14 IP addresses total this can also known as 255.255.255.240 /28

255.255.255.224 /27 This would allow 30 IP addresses total

what you essentially do is cut down on how many hosts you actually have. Essentually you are making the NVG (as well as any router made by any manufacturer) smarter buy giving it a short phone book to work with.

An example below for the NVG589

device IPv4 address: 172.21.0.1
DHCPv4 start IP address: 172.21.0.7
DHCPv4 end IP address: 172.21.0.14
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.240

DHCP addresses available: 8

Static IP's available: 5

Another example I would use

device IPv4 address: 10.20.1.1
DHCPv4 start IP address: 10.20.1.5
DHCPv4 end IP address: 10.20.1.30
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.224

DHCP addresses avaialble: 25

static IP addresses available: 4

Another example using 192.168.x.x

Device IPv4 address: 192.168.15.1
DHCPv4 start IP address: 192.168.15.5
DHCPv4 end IP address: 192.168.15.30
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.224

DHCP addresses avaialble: 25

static IP addresses available: 4

Note: I do not count the base IP address as a useable IP (another headache I learned to avoid the hard way).  

Continue on: 

From the bullet point of

• Go to 'Home Network' then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off. You want to use the wifi on your own router right?

I would continue on.

Final note: 

I don't get here all the time to check and see who replied so if there is any questions please drop me a line as I don't come here very often. 

Thanks

david

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

Also if anyone is experiencing very slow loading on some websites with the NVG589 and IP Passthrough, disable IPv6 on your personal router:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29352935-New-AT-T-UVerse-Power-tier-slow-only-for-some-major-websites-

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Got it into bridge mode successfully, thanks. Still can't get the ports to open. I've been stumped on this for a pretty long time. I'm using the nvg589 and an Airport Extreme. I need the airport for wireless drives, or I would just use the Motorola. That being said, I've tried everything I know to get the ports open both from the Airport Utility program and the Port Map program. I don't have double NAT problems or anything. It says the ports are open but when I go to check them they are not. Any help or advice would be great.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I just got the NVG589 and would like to use it with my Netgear R6300. The Netgear doesn't have the same internet config page as your Asus, and all I see is to have Dnyamic IP or Static IP. Would this still work for me?

Also, once all the settings are made in both routers, would you connect the Netgear's WAN port to the NVG589's LAN port?

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Worked great but I had 2 changes I had to make.

1. If you have to manually enter the Default Server Internal Address, select Default Server for the Allocation Mode, enter the IP address in Manually Entry then click Save before going any further.

When I didn't do that and I changed the Allocation Mode to Passthrough, the first IP address that was in the list because the internal address.

2. I'm running Tomato 1.27 on a Asus WL-520GU router, I have my own DHCP and DNS servers.  Under Basic/Network/LAN I had the IP address of the DNS server on my network. (back from when I was using my router for DHCP)  I had to remove that and replace it w/an external DNS server. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Macchionne, I'm using an airport extreme and just upgrade as well. Did you ever figure this out? Don't really want to get started and then get stuck in the middle of the process. Thanks!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

i get to the select "save" step then it freez's (spinning thinking wheel) then once i choose the home network tab it says "unable to connect" try to reload?

Employee

• 

442 Messages

10 years ago

if you changed the range and such, you would have to disconnect and reconnect.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I want to say thanks to you guys for write up on this. I was having MAJOR NAT issues with PS3, PS4 and Xbox as soon as I switched to the NVG589. Never had these issues prior to that. I was able to run the NVG589 in passthrough and now running a MediaLink Wireless router. Everything seems to be working well. I finally have open NAT ports now that I have a router that supports UPNP. I have my cablebox and WAP plugged into the NVG589 all other devices are connected wired/wirelessly to the Medialink. 

One issue that just came about though is intermittent dropouts of Xbox Live. It will sign me out but I can sign back in right away. Never had this issue before. I am not sure if its a setting I overlooked or what. I have the Xbox 360 wired directly to the MediaLink. Also I set the Medialink to give the Xbox the same IP everytime (same for the PS4)

I am running the Google DNS server settings. 

What should I be looking @ for these strange dropouts all of a sudden?

Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

First of all, let me say thanks for this, it works flawlessly!

However, I have an issue, not sure if anyone else also has it.

I have the Motorola NVG589 with the Pairbonding plan, and a /28 static block.

The IP Passthru works like it should, however, I can't manage my /28 with my personal router.

I bought a MikroTik RB2011 to fulfill this purpose, yet I cannot use it fully.

Does anyone know how I can manage the /28 block using the router with IP Passthru?

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.