Need help with your equipment?
jimrin's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, October 27th, 2015 6:50 AM

How to manage Pace 5268AC remotely?

So far, I've no success in figuring out how to manage the gateway from outside the firewall... I didn't find any options which made it obvious how to do this.

Thanks in advance for help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

For "security reasons" this is not allowed.  AT&T can.  You can't.  Your only option is to allow yourself in to a system inside your firewall and use that system to access a browser and get to the Gateway from inside.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

DMZplus/IP Passthrough, different names, same feature.  

Okay, so port 8080 would be how you could manage your DRU remotely if you chose to once you turn on Remote Access.  However, you don't really want to remotely manager your DRU, you just want to do a FTP connection over the WAN and that ability is controlled by the Remote Access feature.  Gotcha.   So, first question:

Does the FTP feature work locally using the internal IP address for the DRU and port 21?  If not, that's the first problem to solve.  If so... what behavior do you get when you attempt to open port 21 on your public IP address remotely?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the answer... which officially sucks, but at least now I don't need to keep trying to look for this option which was available in earlier gateways...

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

Curious: which U-verse Gateway were you able to do this with?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I hadn't tried it myself with U-verse, but while searching the Internet, I saw documentation for Pace routers which had an option for doing this, but I could not find the same options on the installed one... So possibly, the documentation I found was more generic documentation for Pace equipment and that they've always been disabled as part of U-verse.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

AT&T gets a custom firmware build for all of their gateways.  It disables some of the normally built-in functionality, includes an 802.1X cert for authenication and adds one or two features useful to U-verse.  As such, you can't completely trust the manufacturer's user's guide or spec sheet.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

@jimrin,  I am in a "nosey nellie" mood today, and I'm asking questions, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I was wondering what settings your were trying to change, and more or less why you were trying to chage it, other than simple curiosity on your part, just to see if you could do it. (and in fareness, that is something I might try, for that very reason.. just to see if I can tweek it.)

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I can answer your question -- I was able to remotely access a Motorola NVG589 Gateway. The key was that it gave you the FULL ACCESS URL. That URL included the correct port number for web access.

The menu to look up the web access port number has been removed on my new Pace router. Thus, I too no longer have remote access. I agree with jimrin's assessment of this setup. That feature was nice when I needed to access the gateway in my vacation rental home... which is 14 hours away. I guess I will have to call AT&T the next time I need access.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

In response to Nosey Nellie, one reason you might wish to remotely manage a router would be to setup port forwards for accessing other devices.  You CAN set them up statically and leave them open all the time, but being able to open and close them as needed provides an additional degree of security.  Using a very strong password on the router means an extra layer of security when the attached device you want to reach might not have a very good security.  Some DVRs have a fixed login ID like "admin" and 6 character passwords, so are quite weak.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Hi, sorry to resurrect this thread.   I have the PACE as well, and behind that, I have a real router.  I turned on remote access but port 8080 still isn't opened, I assume that's because the PACE is blocking it?  Really, all I am trying to do is use the FTP server included in my new router, but I can't seem to gain access to it, even though port 21 is open.

PACE is set to DMZ and then I have my real router managing everything else.

In my new routers instructions one of the req's it to turn on remote access, so I assume I am just screwed due to AT&T idiocy?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.