Need help with your equipment?
Eyost's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Monday, October 22nd, 2012 12:17 AM

How to integrate NAS drive with uVerse in my network?

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Synology NAS drive and have added it to my network. The NAS drive has the ability to sleep after a specified amount of time with no LAN activity. Unfortunately, the Residential Gateway is constantly chatting and the NAS sees this as LAN activity. Here is my current configuration.

Residential Gateway acts as wireless access point, internet, phone, and tv, an ethernet connection is coming out from the RG into a switch. On the same switch is the NAS drive and an Airport Extreme which is acting as a bridge for USB printing which has a USB printer connected to it.

I have confirmed that the RG is the issue since if I disconnect it from the switch, the NAS drive will go to sleep. I also see less LAN activity as the activity lights on the Airport are no longer flashing.

Any thoughts on the configuration to eliminate the LAN traffic chatting to the NAS preventing it from sleeping? I have connected the NAS to the RG to see if that would make a difference, but it did not. Would setting the RG just as a modem and using the Airport as the access point be a better option?

Thanks for any help,

Ed

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

The U-Verse RG abuses the ARP protocol to maintain its list of connected devices.  This is the reason the NAS will not sleep.

The only way to avoid this is to use your own router behind the RG so that the NAS will not be exposed to the RG's broadcast domain.

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. I will give it a read over tomorrow, probably is pretty complex. I currently have an Airport Extreme that is acting as a bridge for USB printing. Would I be able to use that router for the configuration that you referenced?

Thanks again.

Ee

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

I believe you can use the Airport Extreme in this application, but I do not know the particulars as I do not own one.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

Yes you can use the AEBS and follow the same directions SomeJoe7777 posted.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

SomeJoe,

I took a closer look at the instructions and thanks for the step-by-step. Have a question though. Is configuring the system this way going to open any security issues for unauthorized connection from the outside world? Looks like the setup is going to use the router as the wireless access point instead of the uVerse Residential Gateway?

Thanks so much for the help,

Ed

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

If you follow the steps in post 2 (DMZ router), then all responsibility for inbound firewall and security falls onto your own router. It will be as secure as that router's software normally provides.

For post 13 (wireless access point only), then the 2Wire RG will still be the firewall and security device.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

On an AEBS the minute you take it off bridge mode the firewall will automatically turn on.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks. I always struggle with this. Wonderwhich would be the most secure. Normally, it's not as big of a concern, but the NAS will be on all the time.

Thanks again for all your help!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.