Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to change your wireless channel on a 2Wire/Pace?

Community Support

How to change your wireless channel on a 2Wire/Pace?

Changing the Wireless Channel on an 2Wire/Pace U-verse Gateway.

Have an NVG? Click Here.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 10
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author Community Support
Accepted by ATTU-verseCare
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: How to change your wireless channel on a 2Wire/Pace?

­

2Wire/Pace Changing the Wireless Channel

You may experience weak or dropped signals if say a cordless phone and Wi-Fi gateway share the same frequency channel or if two gateways sharing the same frequency channel are located relatively close to each other.

A potential fix for this issue is to change the channel, thereby reducing frequency interference. The steps below show how to check which channel you're currently on and which channels are available for you. Trial and error testing may be required to find the right channel for you.

1. First you will need to gather some information in order to access and make changes to your router. You can locate the information needed on the sticker on the side of the modem. You will need the following info. Device Access Code and the IP address listed under For Advanced Device Configuration (should look like 192.168.1.254).
    Pic 1.png

2. Open a browser (such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Safari) and in the address bar, type http://192.168.1.254
    Pic 2.png

3. Select Wireless.
  4. Scroll down to Network > Wireless Channel. From here, you can change the wireless channel. You want to pick the one with the least amount of interference. It may take some trial an error to determine an optimal connection.
    Pic 4.png

5. After you have selected the appropriate channel please ensure to click the Save button at the bottom of the screen.
    Pic 5.png

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10
Contributor

what problems may arrise from changing the channel on the router?

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert

Change it and find out for yourself in your specific environment how channel changes affects your wifi.  It will either work, not work, or partially work (sometimes).  You can't hurt anything by experimenting.  You can always put it back to what it originally was (auto).

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
Contributor

Step 2 seems to be incomplete, but thanks for posting this!

Message 5 of 10
Contributor

Step 2 says to type, then has a pic, but doesn't say what to type. Please update these instructions. Thank you. 

Message 6 of 10
Contributor

Re: QueenBee2

Most of the time, typing 192.168.1.254 should work on AT&T Wi-Fi.

Message 7 of 10
Contributor

None if you put it on Channel 3, 7 or 9.

Usually everyone is always on auto which kills the router anyways

Message 8 of 10
Contributor

I thought that the choices were supposed to be between 5GHz and 2.4GHz but that seems not to be the case, or am I missing something?

Message 9 of 10
Contributor

Yes you can use 2.4 and 5GHz, 5GHz is best used for WiFi on phones and tablets.

You want to adjust the 2.4GHz channel cause it affects the whole router speedwise
Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support