Need help with your equipment?
primus_2001's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, July 17th, 2011 5:58 PM

How to Hardwire a connection using U-Verse?

I understand we could connect directly to the ethernet ports on the back of the router/gateway, but is there a way to do it like old cable style?

I have ethernet jacks in all my rooms and would prefer a hardwired connection Vs wireless. Is there a way i could make these ethernet connections "live" by connecting the router or however u do it? Like in the past, my cable modem would go to the ethernet connections and that way i could use any ethernet connection all over the house. The gateway/router is far away from my computers (close to TV) and i don't want to run wires (it's impossible) from the gateway to each of these rooms. I prefer wired Vs wireless

Any help is highly appreciated!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Where do all these ethernet jacks originate?  Move your RG to that location and plug them into the lan ports on the RG.  If there are not enough ports, connect a secondary router to the RG and set it up as an access point and plug some of them into it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

So, you have ethernet jacks in all the rooms. These jacks are wired to a central location where the cable modem used to be located.

It was suggested that you find this central location and move the RG there. And, if you need more ports add a switch.

An alternative is to leave the RG where it is. Connect from one of the four ports on the back of the RG to the ethernet jack in that room. Then connect that leg as the input to a switch at the central location. The switch then feeds the other rooms.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

If there are not enough ports, then I think it would be simpler and less expensive to use an Ethernet switch instead of a secondary router.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

If you have Uverse stbs in the rooms with your other computers you can connect them to the ethernet port on the back of the stbs.  And you would have your hardwired connection to the internet.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

Thx everyone! Really appreciate the quick rep...

Looks like, I may have to invest in some structured wiring first and then relocate the router to the attic (where all wires meet or originate).

Thx again though!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

13 years ago

The attic may be too hot as the RG doesn't like that much heat and will keep rebooting or have other problems. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

Does RG refer to a specific router model? If so, what is the router?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Put the switch in the attic and plug the ethernet cables into it.  Plug the other end of one of these cables into the RG in the room where is is currently located.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

13 years ago

@jweston44 wrote:

Does RG refer to a specific router model? If so, what is the router?

RG=Residential Gateway/modem 3800 or 3801 HVG-B 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

I just got U-verse Internet last month, and AT&T sent me a Motorola 2210-02-IATT modem and a Linksys E1000 router.

So that's not considered to be a Residential Gateway?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.