How to Hardwire a connection using U-Verse?

Teacher

How to Hardwire a connection using U-Verse?

I understand we could connect directly to the ethernet ports on the back of the router/gateway, but is there a way to do it like old cable style?

I have ethernet jacks in all my rooms and would prefer a hardwired connection Vs wireless. Is there a way i could make these ethernet connections "live" by connecting the router or however u do it? Like in the past, my cable modem would go to the ethernet connections and that way i could use any ethernet connection all over the house. The gateway/router is far away from my computers (close to TV) and i don't want to run wires (it's impossible) from the gateway to each of these rooms. I prefer wired Vs wireless

Any help is highly appreciated!

Message 1 of 21

Re: How to Hardwire a connection using U-Verse?

Where do all these ethernet jacks originate?  Move your RG to that location and plug them into the lan ports on the RG.  If there are not enough ports, connect a secondary router to the RG and set it up as an access point and plug some of them into it.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 21
Teacher

If there are not enough ports, then I think it would be simpler and less expensive to use an Ethernet switch instead of a secondary router.

Message 3 of 21
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

So, you have ethernet jacks in all the rooms. These jacks are wired to a central location where the cable modem used to be located.

It was suggested that you find this central location and move the RG there. And, if you need more ports add a switch.

An alternative is to leave the RG where it is. Connect from one of the four ports on the back of the RG to the ethernet jack in that room. Then connect that leg as the input to a switch at the central location. The switch then feeds the other rooms.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 21
Expert

If you have Uverse stbs in the rooms with your other computers you can connect them to the ethernet port on the back of the stbs.  And you would have your hardwired connection to the internet.

Message 5 of 21
Teacher

Thx everyone! Really appreciate the quick rep...

Looks like, I may have to invest in some structured wiring first and then relocate the router to the attic (where all wires meet or originate).

Thx again though!

Message 6 of 21
ACE - Expert

The attic may be too hot as the RG doesn't like that much heat and will keep rebooting or have other problems. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 21
Teacher

Does RG refer to a specific router model? If so, what is the router?

Message 8 of 21

Put the switch in the attic and plug the ethernet cables into it.  Plug the other end of one of these cables into the RG in the room where is is currently located.

Message 9 of 21
ACE - Expert

jweston44 wrote:

Does RG refer to a specific router model? If so, what is the router?

RG=Residential Gateway/modem 3800 or 3801 HVG-B Smiley Wink

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

Message 10 of 21
Teacher

I just got U-verse Internet last month, and AT&T sent me a Motorola 2210-02-IATT modem and a Linksys E1000 router.

So that's not considered to be a Residential Gateway?

Message 11 of 21

I think it's basically a DSL modem.  It's not the same RG (residential gateway) we have for UVerse tv and internet.

Message 12 of 21
Teacher

As I understand it, AT&T U- verse Internet is DSL2 as opposed to the standard DSL service that AT&T has been offering prior to the release of U-verse Internet service. I think that AT&T is calling it's DSL2 service U-verse Internet service instead of DSL2 service.

As more and more people sign up for U-verse Internet service only (like me), dealing with hardware issues other than so-called Residential Gateways is going to complicate things.
Message 13 of 21

Seems like dealing with a simple DSL modem and attached router might simplify things.  You are dealing with internet only.

Message 14 of 21
ACE - Expert

jweston44 wrote:
As I understand it, AT&T U- verse Internet is DSL2 as opposed to the standard DSL service that AT&T has been offering prior to the release of U-verse Internet service. I think that AT&T is calling it's DSL2 service U-verse Internet service instead of DSL2 service.

As more and more people sign up for U-verse Internet service only (like me), dealing with hardware issues other than so-called Residential Gateways is going to complicate things.

It's ADSL 2/2+,

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23982150-IP-DSLAM-FAQ

whereas our Uverse internet/TV is on VDSL. Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 15 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support