Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jul 17, 2011
10:58:09 AM
How to Hardwire a connection using U-Verse?

I understand we could connect directly to the ethernet ports on the back of the router/gateway, but is there a way to do it like old cable style?

I have ethernet jacks in all my rooms and would prefer a hardwired connection Vs wireless. Is there a way i could make these ethernet connections "live" by connecting the router or however u do it? Like in the past, my cable modem would go to the ethernet connections and that way i could use any ethernet connection all over the house. The gateway/router is far away from my computers (close to TV) and i don't want to run wires (it's impossible) from the gateway to each of these rooms. I prefer wired Vs wireless

Any help is highly appreciated!

I understand we could connect directly to the ethernet ports on the back of the router/gateway, but is there a way to do it like old cable style?

I have ethernet jacks in all my rooms and would prefer a hardwired connection Vs wireless. Is there a way i could make these ethernet connections "live" by connecting the router or however u do it? Like in the past, my cable modem would go to the ethernet connections and that way i could use any ethernet connection all over the house. The gateway/router is far away from my computers (close to TV) and i don't want to run wires (it's impossible) from the gateway to each of these rooms. I prefer wired Vs wireless

Any help is highly appreciated!

Accepted Solution

How to Hardwire a connection using U-Verse?

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 17, 2011 11:19:26 AM
(0)
Guru

Where do all these ethernet jacks originate?  Move your RG to that location and plug them into the lan ports on the RG.  If there are not enough ports, connect a secondary router to the RG and set it up as an access point and plug some of them into it.

Where do all these ethernet jacks originate?  Move your RG to that location and plug them into the lan ports on the RG.  If there are not enough ports, connect a secondary router to the RG and set it up as an access point and plug some of them into it.

Re: How to Hardwire a connection using U-Verse?

2 of 21 (6,004 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 11:34:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

If there are not enough ports, then I think it would be simpler and less expensive to use an Ethernet switch instead of a secondary router.

If there are not enough ports, then I think it would be simpler and less expensive to use an Ethernet switch instead of a secondary router.

3 of 21 (5,994 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 17, 2011 11:43:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
So, you have ethernet jacks in all the rooms. These jacks are wired to a central location where the cable modem used to be located.

It was suggested that you find this central location and move the RG there. And, if you need more ports add a switch.

An alternative is to leave the RG where it is. Connect from one of the four ports on the back of the RG to the ethernet jack in that room. Then connect that leg as the input to a switch at the central location. The switch then feeds the other rooms.

So, you have ethernet jacks in all the rooms. These jacks are wired to a central location where the cable modem used to be located.

It was suggested that you find this central location and move the RG there. And, if you need more ports add a switch.

An alternative is to leave the RG where it is. Connect from one of the four ports on the back of the RG to the ethernet jack in that room. Then connect that leg as the input to a switch at the central location. The switch then feeds the other rooms.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 21 (5,990 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 11:57:52 AM
(0)
Expert

If you have Uverse stbs in the rooms with your other computers you can connect them to the ethernet port on the back of the stbs.  And you would have your hardwired connection to the internet.

If you have Uverse stbs in the rooms with your other computers you can connect them to the ethernet port on the back of the stbs.  And you would have your hardwired connection to the internet.

5 of 21 (5,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 2:40:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thx everyone! Really appreciate the quick rep...

Looks like, I may have to invest in some structured wiring first and then relocate the router to the attic (where all wires meet or originate).

Thx again though!

Thx everyone! Really appreciate the quick rep...

Looks like, I may have to invest in some structured wiring first and then relocate the router to the attic (where all wires meet or originate).

Thx again though!

6 of 21 (5,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 3:00:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The attic may be too hot as the RG doesn't like that much heat and will keep rebooting or have other problems. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

The attic may be too hot as the RG doesn't like that much heat and will keep rebooting or have other problems. Smiley Wink

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 21 (5,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 3:11:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

Does RG refer to a specific router model? If so, what is the router?

8 of 21 (5,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 3:11:40 PM
(0)
Guru

Put the switch in the attic and plug the ethernet cables into it.  Plug the other end of one of these cables into the RG in the room where is is currently located.

Put the switch in the attic and plug the ethernet cables into it.  Plug the other end of one of these cables into the RG in the room where is is currently located.

9 of 21 (5,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 3:16:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jweston44 wrote:

RG=Residential Gateway/modem 3800 or 3801 HVG-B Smiley Wink

Chris

jweston44 wrote:

RG=Residential Gateway/modem 3800 or 3801 HVG-B Smiley Wink

Chris

10 of 21 (5,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 3:22:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just got U-verse Internet last month, and AT&T sent me a Motorola 2210-02-IATT modem and a Linksys E1000 router.

So that's not considered to be a Residential Gateway?

I just got U-verse Internet last month, and AT&T sent me a Motorola 2210-02-IATT modem and a Linksys E1000 router.

So that's not considered to be a Residential Gateway?

11 of 21 (5,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 3:40:18 PM
(0)
Guru

I think it's basically a DSL modem.  It's not the same RG (residential gateway) we have for UVerse tv and internet.

I think it's basically a DSL modem.  It's not the same RG (residential gateway) we have for UVerse tv and internet.

12 of 21 (5,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 8:04:51 PM
(0)
Teacher
As I understand it, AT&T U- verse Internet is DSL2 as opposed to the standard DSL service that AT&T has been offering prior to the release of U-verse Internet service. I think that AT&T is calling it's DSL2 service U-verse Internet service instead of DSL2 service.

As more and more people sign up for U-verse Internet service only (like me), dealing with hardware issues other than so-called Residential Gateways is going to complicate things.
As I understand it, AT&T U- verse Internet is DSL2 as opposed to the standard DSL service that AT&T has been offering prior to the release of U-verse Internet service. I think that AT&T is calling it's DSL2 service U-verse Internet service instead of DSL2 service.

As more and more people sign up for U-verse Internet service only (like me), dealing with hardware issues other than so-called Residential Gateways is going to complicate things.

13 of 21 (5,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 8:37:17 PM
(0)
Guru

Seems like dealing with a simple DSL modem and attached router might simplify things.  You are dealing with internet only.

Seems like dealing with a simple DSL modem and attached router might simplify things.  You are dealing with internet only.

14 of 21 (5,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 9:20:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jweston44 wrote:

It's ADSL 2/2+,

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23982150-IP-DSLAM-FAQ

whereas our Uverse internet/TV is on VDSL. Smiley Wink

Chris

jweston44 wrote:

It's ADSL 2/2+,

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23982150-IP-DSLAM-FAQ

whereas our Uverse internet/TV is on VDSL. Smiley Wink

Chris

15 of 21 (5,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 1:01:24 PM
(0)
Mentor

I was told by Uverse tech support that connecting to the ethernet port on a STB for internet was not supported by Uverse. He said that it would cause problems with the STB updates.

I was told by Uverse tech support that connecting to the ethernet port on a STB for internet was not supported by Uverse. He said that it would cause problems with the STB updates.

16 of 21 (5,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 1:29:27 PM
(0)
Expert
Indeed it isn't supported, but in general it will not hurt anything.

"Not supported" means that AT&T doesn't condone it, and if you have problems with that setup, AT&T will not assist you with it. But it doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. And it doesn't mean that any problems will arise.

Generally, if you do have problems, it's limited to an issue with the connected device (i.e. the multicast traffic overwhelms that device, and it won't function properly), or the STB exhibits issues when playing back live or recorded TV such as pixelation or picture freezing. If either of those things occur, you'll have to disconnect the device and find some other way to connect it to the network.

In no case will anything be permanently damaged from trying this setup.
Indeed it isn't supported, but in general it will not hurt anything.

"Not supported" means that AT&T doesn't condone it, and if you have problems with that setup, AT&T will not assist you with it. But it doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. And it doesn't mean that any problems will arise.

Generally, if you do have problems, it's limited to an issue with the connected device (i.e. the multicast traffic overwhelms that device, and it won't function properly), or the STB exhibits issues when playing back live or recorded TV such as pixelation or picture freezing. If either of those things occur, you'll have to disconnect the device and find some other way to connect it to the network.

In no case will anything be permanently damaged from trying this setup.

17 of 21 (5,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 1:46:09 PM
(0)
Guru

I have my Roku's connected this way and don't have any problems.  Of course, I only watch tv or the Roku, one at a time, on the connected tv.  I guess it's possible I could have a problem if I got an update for the DVR/STB while watching the Roku, but I don't expect any problems since everything is routed based on IP addresses.

I have my Roku's connected this way and don't have any problems.  Of course, I only watch tv or the Roku, one at a time, on the connected tv.  I guess it's possible I could have a problem if I got an update for the DVR/STB while watching the Roku, but I don't expect any problems since everything is routed based on IP addresses.

18 of 21 (5,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 5:03:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

Do you turn the STB off at the front button when you watch Roku? If you do not, will you still not get the broadcast of the TV signal?

Do you turn the STB off at the front button when you watch Roku? If you do not, will you still not get the broadcast of the TV signal?

19 of 21 (5,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 5:26:20 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jimgfitzgerald on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:31:40 PM

Doesn't matter.  My U-Verse DVR is connected to my tv's HDMI 1 input.  My Roku is connected to my tv's HDMI 2 input via my Onkyo receiver.  I have a Harmony 880 remote that I programmed to switch the input and turn on my Onkyo receiver when I am using my Roku.  However, I usually do turn it off to save bandwidth.

Doesn't matter.  My U-Verse DVR is connected to my tv's HDMI 1 input.  My Roku is connected to my tv's HDMI 2 input via my Onkyo receiver.  I have a Harmony 880 remote that I programmed to switch the input and turn on my Onkyo receiver when I am using my Roku.  However, I usually do turn it off to save bandwidth.

[ Edited ]
20 of 21 (5,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2015 9:23:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

The house was set up with a TV HDMI downstairs and then a 5.8 100mw wireless router to a wireless gateway upstairs. Is it possbile to hardwire that instead of this 5.8 router running in the house 24/7? Also the AT&T WIFI tower default deploys emitting signal at 400mw at 2.4 and this can be turned down to 50mw as this is more than enough for most dry wall homes. 400 mw is excessive at that frequency don't you think as a default?

The house was set up with a TV HDMI downstairs and then a 5.8 100mw wireless router to a wireless gateway upstairs. Is it possbile to hardwire that instead of this 5.8 router running in the house 24/7? Also the AT&T WIFI tower default deploys emitting signal at 400mw at 2.4 and this can be turned down to 50mw as this is more than enough for most dry wall homes. 400 mw is excessive at that frequency don't you think as a default?

21 of 21 (1,684 Views)