Need help with your equipment?
frostcall's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 10:06 PM

How do I put my NVG589 in bridge mode?

Overview

Most people don't need advanced features that personally owned routers offer and will be just fine using the NVG589 and turning off their personally owned router.  But if you're like me (and I know I am!) then you are probably reading this thread because you have ip cameras, personal clouds, photo servers, guest wifi, VPN's, xbox, QOS settings, et al.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U , a VIP2250, and a wireless reciever with a WAP; but your settings should be similar. 

The NVG589 does not have a simple 'Bridge mode' setting so you will need to get into weeds to get this working.  I hope you're ready.

First Steps

Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG589.

Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG589 except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop.

Write down the MAC address of your personal router (the WAN MAC address if you see different ones for LAN and WAN)

Settings on the NVG589

• Login to your NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
  • Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'.  Your password is on the side of the modem.
  • If your 'Device IPv4 Address' is the same subnet as your local router, I suggest changing it.  I changed mine to 192.169.2.254 but you can stick with whatever you like / need.  My subnet Mask remains at 255.255.255.0
  • Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.169.2.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
  • Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5, Just a few more than the Start Address.  We need these for any WAP extenders for wifi TV's.  It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point.
  • Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
  • Go to 'Home Network'  then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off.  You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
  • Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'.  Disable Packet Filters.  Again, we want our router to do the work.
  • Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
  • Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'.  For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
  • For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)
  • For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
  • Type in the MAC address for your router under 'Manual Entry', lowercase is fine.
  • Click SAVE.  It will tell you that it needs to reboot.  Hang on for a minute.
  • Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
  • Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes.

Personal Router Settings.

• Unplug your laptop and plug in your personal router while the NVG589 reboots.  
  • Plug your laptop into your personal router and login to it.  For me, it was 192.168.1.1 (hence why I changed things above)
  • For the ASUS RT-N66U, I had to go to my WAN settings, then 'Internet Connection'.
  • Change 'WAN Connection Type' to 'Automatic IP'.  This will give your personal router the external IP of the NVG589 and is the key to making this whole thing work. Some folks will have to manually enter in an IP and this can be found under the 'Broadband - Status' section of the NVG589 settings.  If you don't have 'automatic IP' then I feel bad for you since you will have to manually change this every time your IP changes.
  • 'Enable WAN', 'Enable NAT' and 'Enable UPnP' is all set to YES for me.  
  • I recomend Setting your own DNS server.  I use Google's but you use whatever you like.  Google's is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • 'Account Setting - Authentication' is 'None'.
  • There are no Special requirements from ISP at the bottom.
  • Hit APPLY at the bottom and your router will reboot.

I also changed settings in my IPTV under LAN:

• Profile was None.
  • Choose IPTV STB port, I set to LAN3 & LAN4.  I plugged my U-Verse WAP for the wireless reciver into the NVG589 and I plugged the ethernet cable going to the VIP2250 into LAN3 on my personal router.  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but I'm having 0 issues with this setup.  I initially tried putting the WAP on my personal router but had issues so I stuck it back on the NVG589 and it's fine.  I could probably just plug the VIP2250 into the NVG589 as well but I'm just enjoying the small victory of using my personal router for now.  
  • Hit apply at the bottom, another possible reboot.

At this point, I checked the internet and everything was working great through the router.  I restarted by 2 TV boxes (the VIP and the wifi ones).  Everything is peachy.

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

EDIT to update WAP configuration. 

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

10 years ago

I have a Motorola NVG589 with a /29 block of Static IP's

I turned off all IP Passthrough

Under Home Network--Subnets & DHCP

Public Subnet

Public Subnet Enable: On

Public IPv4 Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Should be the last 'usable' IP in your /28) 
Public Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.240 (For your /29)
DHCPv4 Start Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (First 'usable' IP in your /28)
DHCPv4 End Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Next to last 'usable' IP in your /28)
Allow Inbound Traffic: On
Primary DHCP Pool: Public

I reduced my DHCP End address by the amount of IP's I wanted to assign myself.

Then I use those Public IP's on my devices that needed Static IP's

Use the Public IP addess of you RG (last 'usable' IP) as your gateway on your devices.

Make sure you set  Allow Inbound Traffic: On

Should route correctly.

Ex:

My /29 is xxx.xxx.xxx.248

My RG is set to xxx.xxx.xxx.254/29

My Apple AirPort is xxx.xxx.xxx.253/29

My VNP Server is xxx.xxx.xxx.252/29

I left the rest to the Public DHCP server (.249-.251)

Ex. setting for Apple AirPort

IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.253

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248 (.248 for my /29 -- would be .240 for your /28)

Default Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.254

DNS: xxx.xxx.xxx.254 (or any Public DNS servers you want to use)

This basically lets your Statics IP's fully route through your RG both incoming and outgoing.

Hope this makes since, if not let me know and I will see if I can explain better.

The 'IP Passthrough' method works great if you only have 1 IP, I fould this way to work perfect for my muiltible Statics.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hello all:

Complete noob here with this stuff.  I recently switched from Time Warner to Uverse and would like to continue using my RT-N66U with the NVG589.  I followed all the steps listed above and somehow still screwed it up.

If my N66U router IP is 192.168.1.1 do I still need to change my NVG IPv4 to something other than 192.168.1.254?  As I read it, I thought I only needed to change that on the NVG if it was the same as my N66U...

Somehow I managed to set my NVG IP as my N66U IP and that created an unbelievable headache!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

If you're going to use your router AS a router (instead of as a switch/access point), then you'll need to use different subnets for the AT&T RG and your router.  The AT&T router comes as 192.168.1.254 and manages the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.  Your router will have a WAN and a LAN address, and it's LAN address is probably 192.168.1.1 and also expects to work on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.  This will cause confusion.  Your router should get its WAN address from the RG via DHCP, which will either be something in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet OR (if you've configured IP Passthrough), it'll be your external public IP address (i.e. the RG's WAN IP, but this is okay).

You can either change the RG's LAN address or your router's.   192.168.2.0/24 is a popular subnet, as is 172.16.1.0/24.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Is there a benefit to using my Asus as the sole wireless router versus using it as another access point?  And I see that there is a cascade option within the NVG settings.  What's the difference between the IP passthrough and just cascading my Asus router?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

UPDATE:

Successfully bridged my router and am able to connect wirelessly to my N66U with my computer.  However, I am unable to connect with my iPhone or iPad.  Recommendations?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@earl_harbinger wrote:

Is there a benefit to using my Asus as the sole wireless router versus using it as another access point?  And I see that there is a cascade option within the NVG settings.  What's the difference between the IP passthrough and just cascading my Asus router?

If you like the way your network was set up (firewall features, UPnP maybe, filtering, etc.) then you want to have your router be a router.  If you only want its wireless feature to connect PCs (because it's better at wireless than the RG), then just use it as an access point (especially true if you want to use Uverse connected apps while connected to your router).

I don't follow exactly what the cascade option does yet.  Haven't set one up.  I understand it helps fix an issue with multiple public static adresses through your router, but I think that's a side effect, not the reason it exists.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

@earl_harbinger wrote:

UPDATE:

Successfully bridged my router and am able to connect wirelessly to my N66U with my computer.  However, I am unable to connect with my iPhone or iPad.  Recommendations?

Any thoughts on this?  Only thing I found was manually entering the DNS but it would only let me do it on a single Apple device.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I'd drop the old network connection set up on the iOS device, then re-create it.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for bridge mode configuration info.

Can someone verify if IPv6 passthrough is also supported and if so how to set it up?

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I'm probably going to update my post (if I can find the edit button) since I have taken a few suggestions like David's into account.  

edit - apparently, I can not edit the original post.  Hence, I can not make corrections.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.