Host a VPN on Home Computer

Teacher

Host a VPN on Home Computer

Hello.  I have ATT Uverse at home and would like to be able to access my home computer while I'm at work, preferably using RDC. I know that I need to have Windows XP Professional on my home computer (which I don't have yet). I assume that rather than just opening up the RDC port to the world, it's better to set up a VPN and then RDC over the VPN. I would like set up and connect to the VPN just as a test with my current XP Home operating system. I set up an Incoming connection that enables VPN. But I'm not sure how to configure the Firewall on the RG. Should I select PPTN server as the application whose ports to open up? Where would I configure the preshare key? Also, once the VPN is running, how would I open up the RDC port? So far I have figured out that I can't test this with another computer connected to the local network since RG doesn't forward internal packets. Therefore, I would like to have the exact setup steps so I can then leave the house and test it from outside (as opposed to just experimenting and modifying things to get it to work).

The home computer is connected using Wi Fi, if that changes anything.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 18 (10,818 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Host a VPN on Home Computer

My bad.  I misread the post to indicate you needed to get stuff off your home PC while you were AT the office, not between PC's both in your local network.  Glad that you seem to have gotten the help you need.  I regret introducing any confusion.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 18 (8,607 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

NP, JefferMC. But in case I do want to access my home computer while outside my little home LAN, do you recommend the Greenleaf product?

Message 17 of 18 (8,600 Views)
ACE - Expert

I know nothing about the Leaf Networks product.

Anytime you decide to use any kind of networking software, you need to weigh the advantage of the flexibility and features this affords you against the security risk that you create to get it.  I am so paranoid that I have never set up to allow even RDP access into my home network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 18 (8,595 Views)