Need help with your equipment?
sebald01's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, January 18th, 2016 8:43 PM

Ethernet Connection Issues

I purchased a new HP desktop with Win10 installed.  The Ethernet connection has not worked from the beginning, I can only use WIFI.  I tested the modem by plugging into my laptop and it works without any problems, my laptop is still on Win7.  I purchased a new Ethernet cable, unistalled the drivers and ran every troubleshooting I could find.  Contacted Geeksquad since I bought the computer at BestBuy and they wanted me to bring in and charge me to look. Contacted HP and they want to restore the computer and then take in for service if that doesn't work.  Contacted AT&T support and was told that the modem needed to be configured to Win10 and they could do that, but they want to charge me.  I don't think I should have to pay my ISP to fix an internet connection issue on a brand new computer.  If I can't get it fixed, I'm dropping AT&T for all of services (TV, internet, home phone and cell phones).  My modem is an AT&T uVerse Arris NVG589.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

Have you tried connecting a USB to ethernet adapter?  If the ethernet works this way, then it will confirm that the onboard NIC is bad and the warranty should cover the replacement of this. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@sebald01   Did you run the Win Connection diagnostic.  If your ethernet connection is showing, right-click it and click Toubleshoot Problems.  It'll get it fixed or give avenues of help.

Also could try an unplug/plug in 20 second reboot of the RG to see if it'll pick up the HP.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Employee

• 

46 Messages

8 years ago

Hey sebald,

I apologize for the problems you are having. I'd like to try to help.

Could you provide some screenshots or details of any error messages you are receiving?

Also, you mentioned that you uninstalled drivers? Could you specify what you have done up to this point?

This can go a long way in finding the issue without doing things you have already tried.

Associated Member

• 

248 Messages

8 years ago

If there's other devices working via a wired connection, its bound to be either that ethernet cable, or the desktop itself, probably will be best to send it to HP for warranty work.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I plugged the Ethernet connection into my laptop and the connection was fine, no drop issues.  I don't want to send the desktop anywhere, it's a brand new computer.  Anything that was needed to get a good Ethernet connection should have been there when I purchased.  If there is a compatability issue with the AT&T Uverse modem that I'm using, no one at HP, Geek Squad or AT&T have been able to tell me that.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I tried a WIN Connection diagnostic, it came back saying there were no issues identified.  An HP support tech also did a remote into the computer and ran various tests.  Their last recommendation was to do a restore.  I don't see how that will help anything, as it is a brand new computer.  I've unplugged, rebooted the modem a number of times.  No luck there.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

There isn't an error message I can show you.  When I go to Network Settings and click on Ethernet, it shows that it's connected for anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute.  Then the connection disappears, it says no internet for a few moments, then back up again.  From there, it will kick on and off continuously.  I tried unstalling both the Ethernet and WIFI drivers.  When I rebooted the computer, it detected and reinstalled both.  Problem persists.  I've been on the phone with AT&T a number of times.  I was told by someone at Connectech that they needed to configure my modem to Windows 10, however, they would only do this for a fee.  I don't think my ISP should charge me to fix a connection issue with their equipment.  If I can't get this fixed soon, I'm dropping all of my AT&T services and going with someone else.  At least they will get me up and going.  

Employee

• 

46 Messages

8 years ago

Because the ethernet connection worked with no problem to the laptop, it suggests that the network card in the desktop is defective.

There is no reason it would work on your laptop and not on the desktop, other than the device being defective.

Although you may not want to, I suggest sending the desktop in to be repaired since it should be under warranty. The only other alternative is purchasing a standalone network card for the desktop to see if the issue is resolved. If so, then the problem has been isolated to the network card on the motherboard of the computer.

http://frys.com/product/7168682

Something like this can be enough to test the problem. Hope this helps.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

I just bought an hp computer.  I had no trouble with connecting to the internet.  I plugged the cable in and it worked first time.  If it does not work open the control panal and go to networking and run the network repair utility but make sure your ethernet cable is plugged in.  I had problems when I upgraded another computer from windows 7 and the network trouble tool change what it needed to change and I have been online since.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you!!!!  You are the first person to recommend this as I didn't know such a thing existed.  I just went and purchased one and it works perfectly!!!!  So now I know that it is a hardware issue and I should get HP to fix under warranty.  However, I didn't like the idea of them sending me a box with shipping label and sending my computer off to who knows where.  But when I went to Best Buy to purchase my adapter, there was a gentlemen there who worked for HP.  He said the repair shop for my area is close by and I should be able to drop off myself if not comfortable shipping off.  I'm going to get a hold of them and see if this is an option.  Thanks again for your help!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.