Need help with your equipment?
ebaleytherogue's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, February 5th, 2014 7:23 PM

Eligibility for router (gateway) upgrade for more modern features?

I have been a U-verse Internet customer for several years. I am looking for more router features, such as scheduled down-times for my kids' devices, but my current router/gateway is limited in its capabilities. Am I eligible for a more modern router? That is, do new U-verse customers receive routers with more sophistication related to controlling device usage [by MAC address, etc.] than the older models?

I have an old wireless router, of my own, but this model cannot be connected to the U-verse gateway, to act as an AP, so I am limited as to what I can do. I am looking for another reason to stay with U-verse, as other ISP's offer device control.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Will this get you what you want?  http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls.  It's free with your Uverse service.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

No. That solution needs to be installed on each [Windows] PC. My kids use tablets and iPod's more often than their PC's. Even were client software available for iOS and Android, centralized router-based solution makes the most sense for acting as the gateway to the Internet, versus device-based bloatware.

Access controls are available even on the most rudimentary consumer routers these days.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Fair enough. I was hoping to avoid that as my pre-existing router is not compatible for bridging. However, it is what it is, so I will proceed thusly if I get around to it.

Thanks much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.