Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Data Cap for UVERSE Internet?

Contributor

Data Cap for UVERSE Internet?

I heard there is a 250 GB cap for the internet? I currently have Bright House with no cap and am thinking of switching over. Should I be concerned about this?

Message 1 of 171
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Data Cap for UVERSE Internet?

Nope.  No Caps yet.  At least for U-verse HSI.  It's in the fine print but has never been enforced.  I don't think they have figured out how to seperate the internet usage from the TV service.  Even if you only get HSI with no TV they still don't enforce it.

Message 2 of 171
ACE - Professor

What he said. A 250 gig cap for U-Verse was supposed to be introduced several years ago. The deadline came and went without fanfare. There may or may not be a cap for other AT&T services. (I do believe AT&T wireless has a cap, after which they drastically slow speeds. The U-Verse cap was supposed to send 1-3 warnings, after which they would charge extra for overages. Essentially, you'd buy extra data.)

There is a data calculator here which indicates that you'd have to do HEAVY online activity and LOTS of it in order to go past the proposed cap.

Let's say you send/receive 10,000 emails (not via gmail or similar website, but actually download to your computer.) Add in 2500 songs per month, 2010 photos uploaded/downloaded, 161 hours playing online games, AND spend 80 hours...two entire workweeks watching HD videos.

...and, considering a lot of your time watching TV would be watching a U-Verse channel like AMC, HBO On Demand or ESPN, you wouldn't be using your data.

Even with that amount of data, you're still about 22-28 gig away from the cap. You would have used 222 gig of data which is a tremendous amount.

I think people who complain about caps are those that just have internet and probably spend too much time watching Netflix...you're not watching Netflix 4 hours a night between going out with friends, watching other stuff on TV, reading books, etc.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 171

if they do not have a cap...then why is this on my online order form right now?

Ordered Items AT&T U-verse Internet Max

An early termination fee of up to $180 may apply if U-verse services are terminated before end of term. After 12 months, standard rates apply unless cancelled by customer. Customer must maintain qualifying services for continued receipt or credit.

U-verse Internet price includes 250GB of data/mo., $10 for each additional 50GB, with a maximum monthly overage charge of $30. For more information, go to www.att.com/internet-usage

Here is the chat i have going on right now because i just asked the rep to cancel my order...he asked why:

Me: the rep failed to mention a very important fact...U-verse Internet price includes 250GB of data/mo., $10 for each additional 50GB, with a maximum monthly overage charge of $30.

Wyatt: That is not true, Yolanda. I would like to inform that there are so many customers with AT&T U-verse and they all are using unlimited data. This form is not updated or provided by mistake. We are from technical support team and we have correct details. I would like to inform that we don't have any tools to measure the data usage and now we are providing unlimited data.

Me: then WHY is it on my order form? i'm looking at it online right now

Wyatt: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I don't have the details about online form. It quite possible that this has been updated wrongly there. However, as of now, we are aware that there is a unlimited data usage with AT&T U-verse and there is no cap. I would recommend you to confirm this with our sales team tomorrow before canceling the order at 1800-288-2020.

Me: cancel it now please...i see what i am seeing with my own two eyes. If you don't have caps, then the verbiage should not be on the order form. It is there so AT&T can change their mind and start enforcing it whenever they want because it is in writing on the order form.

I confirmed that i don't have data caps with time warner and have never paid overage charges and between my son, daughter and i, we are data hogs...just can't take the chance they start enforcing it. 

Message 4 of 171
ACE - Expert

Why does your pillow have a tag on it that says "Do not remove?"

Why does your hair dryer say "Do not operate while standing in water?"

The deal is that they want to keep their options open.  Right now they're electing to not enforce the documented cap.  That could change next month, next year, or never.  Or somewhere in between.  Until then, there might as well not be a cap.  And TWC could decide to have one tomorrow, so...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 171

People who complain about caps are people concerned about exceeding the data caps for a reason...my job for one makes me a data hog...so does my son's xbox playing and yes, we all stream movies and music. There is nothing wrong with that. 

Message 6 of 171

AT&T is leaving it in writing on the order forms and online so if they change their minds, everyone will be affected and if you want to leave after that, you must pay the early termination fee. 

As for Time Warner, i just confirmed earlier today with a TimeWarner Supervisor..and yes, i got it in writing, that first, they have no plans for data caps...and if for some reason, Comcast decides to impose data caps, it would only affect NEW customers...all others would be grandfathered in to unlimited data.

Message 7 of 171
ACE - Expert

What does Time Warner and Comcast have to do with each other?  Nothing... that deal's off.

If that piece of paper is not signed by an officer of the company, it will hold about as much water as a coffee filter in any dispute.

Message 8 of 171
Guru

Comcrap caps 300gb in most capped markets.
"An Xfinity Internet data usage plan may apply"
See: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials/
Message 9 of 171
Tutor

I'm curious about something. I recently got u-verse and if I had known that att had data caps, I might have not signed up for service (I still might cancel since I only got service a few days ago). Why even say you have a data caps if it's not enforced?

Message 10 of 171
ACE - Expert

They published the 250 GB cap in the terms of service several years ago.  Maybe they hoped no one would notice.  Anyway, shortly thereafter they said, basically, until we give you a meter, we will not enforce the cap.  Today, years later, still no meter, thus no enforcement.

Even if they decided to start enforcing it today, they have to give you a warning in the first billing cycle in which you break through the cap before they can charge you for some subsequent billing cycle.  So, for all intents and purposes there can't ever be a cap until at least next month.

Message 11 of 171

Exactly!! Even though people keep saying that it's not being enforced or if
they decide to enforce it, they have to give at least a months
notice....well i'm just not comfortable switching from my truly unlimited
data plan. ...a plan that doesn't have a "cap plan" written in so they can
change your existing contract at anytime.
Message 12 of 171
ACE - Expert

Well, any ISP could decide to put in a cap next month.  Really don't see the difference, but if it makes you feel better, that's your decision.

Message 13 of 171
Contributor

VERY similar conversation I just had with a rep. I have the same verbiage on my order form. Mine went like this...

Me: I'm cancelling because of the data cap

Her: I spoke to my supervisor while I had you on this brief hold and he told me that the data cap was something from the beginning of internet service by AT&T and we do not have that anymore.

Me: I'm looking at the fine print on my order form right now. It's clearly stated on the back.

Her: You must have an old form and I apologize for that.

Me: I'm just glad to get a hold of you before my 3 days was up. I tried calling last night since I can cancel up to 3 days after signing the contract until midnight but your customer service was closed. I didn't want to get charged the $180 cancellation fee!

Her: Ma'am you have up to 30 days to cancel.

Me: I'm looking at my contract right now and it clearly states that "You the buyer, may cancel this transaction anytime prior to midnight of the third business day after the date of this transaction. See the attached notice of cancellation provision for an explanation of this right." (which was not attached)

Her: Again, Ma'am I apologize, your rep must be using an old form.

Me: I'm looking at the form and on the bottom right of the form it has a form revision date of 5/1/15!

Her: OHHH... I need to tell my supervisor about that! I can offer you a better price if you stay with AT&T. Immediately cuts my original rate by almost half!

Me: Nope. Cancel immediately. My contract says one thing and you say another. Which do you think will hold water when it's time to start charging me?!

GEESH!!! Get it together AT&T!

Message 14 of 171

I just got another offer from AT&T this week. ...the one for $59 that
includes Uverse and Internet. The fine print clearly states the internet
includes 250 GB of data with a $10 charge per GB after that.

I called....

Me: Last time i was going to place an order y'all told me there is no cap
but it was on the statement form and you said it was an old form.

So why is there a clearly stated data cap on the fine print of the offer
you just mailed me?

I heard silence and then click. ...he hung up on me. ...

Message 15 of 171
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support