For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
tangential's profile

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 11:59 PM

Creating static routes in a 3800HGV-B

I've just had Uverse installed along with a 2-Wire 3800HGV-B modem router.

I keep several VPN connections up and I set up static routes to the remote networks through their respective gateways so that any system on the network here can access them.

I can't find anywhere in this 3800HGV-B to do that.  Ideally, I'd have it passed with the DHCP data. Failing that, the router could redirect traffic. Either way will solve my problem. I don't see much flexibility for doing such things (there's basically almost no functionality apparent in the menus) in this box. I am hoping there are some hidden menus where real router functionality can be accessed.

Is that functionality somewhere in there?

Thx

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

You're correct, the U-Verse STBs cannot run behind your router, they have to be (logically) directly connected to the 2Wire.

@tangential wrote:

I thought about that, but I have my receivers running on ethernet and they are scattered throughout the house on the existing cat 5E network. My house wasn't initially wired for ethernet, so I have four gigabit switches along a backbone through the house and everything (servers, macs, roku, etc..) are plugged in to it. 

Solve that problem using VLANs.

I don't know what kind of switches you have, but if they're configurable, set up two VLANs running throughout the house, VLAN1 can be uplinked to the 2Wire and it will be your IPTV VLAN, VLAN2 can be uplinked to the LAN side of your router, it will be your computer VLAN.

Run VLAN trunks (tagged frames) between all the switches.

Now, at each switch, configure each port to one particular VLAN based on the device.  U-Verse STBs will be on VLAN1, all computing devices on VLAN2.

Now computers will be on their own logical LAN, and U-Verse STBs on their own logical LAN, and you don't have to run separate Ethernet wiring.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

There is no facility in AT&T's modified 2Wire firmware to add static routes, nor push them to clients with DHCP.

I suggest you use your own router behind the 2Wire, and configure the 2Wire to treat this router as the DMZ device.  Your router's outside interface will get the publically routable IP address assigned to your connection.  Then your router can have static routes, or you can have your own DHCP server on the LAN side of your router that will hand out static routes via DHCP.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

13 years ago

I thought about that, but I have my receivers running on ethernet and they are scattered throughout the house on the existing cat 5E network. My house wasn't initially wired for ethernet, so I have four gigabit switches along a backbone through the house and everything (servers, macs, roku, etc..) are plugged in to it. 

I've got the 8/5 static IP service but once I found out that it requires separate mac addresses and the router to assign them via DHCP I realized that I will probably have to rethink my network topology a bit (just not today.) 

Can I run the U-verse receivers OK in a router-behind-router setup or do they need to be connected on the same subnet as the 2-Wire?  

Also, in the past, I always used a linux server as my DNS/DHCPD host. I can't see how to make that work with the 2-Wire either.  Running router-behind-router would fix that and give me some QOS options too. QOS is yet another missing feature (best I can tell) from the 2-wire. (I hope AT&T isn't paying much for these things. Based on what they do, I'd be hard pressed to pay $10 for its router features.)

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

13 years ago

Ah!

I hadn't thought about VLANs. I'll check my switches (Netgear) and see if they are supported.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

13 years ago

Well, it turns out that my 5 gigabit switches are non-managed and don't support QOS. I think it will be cheaper to run additional ethernet cables for each receiver than to replace all of them.

I'm going to have to get on this, the DNS in the 2-Wire is abysmal. Half the time web pages fail to load completely. I have a good DNS server running on the network, but again the low-end, feature-less 2-Wire router won't let me change the primary DNS assigned by DHCP. It insists on using itself as the primary DNS relay. What a POS.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The set-top boxes are dependent on AT&T's DNS servers, because they have some intranet entries that the STBs use to find the video servers, authorization servers, etc.  Those queries can't be answered by normal DNS servers on the Internet.  Because of that, AT&T doesn't let you change the DNS entries in the 2Wire.

Yes, it would be best to use your own router and do DHCP & DNS behind it.  I'm actually about to set that up myself, just waiting for my router to come in.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.