Cannot log in to router to change SSID or Network Key

Voyager

Cannot log in to router to change SSID or Network Key

I want to personalize my SSID and make the Network Key less vulnerable. The technician who installed my equipment tried to log in via 192.168.1.254 and I have tried several times as well. It says "Connecting" each time, but then comes up with the "IE cannot display the webpage". On Firefox, I get the "Connection was reset" message. How do I make changes if I can't pull it up on the internet???  My internet connection is working fine, by the way.

Message 1 of 7 (29,630 Views)
Expert

Re: Cannot log in to router to change SSID or Network Key

[ Edited ]

Which U-verse gateway do you have?  Try the link below:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

Message 2 of 7 (29,626 Views)
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author titus34
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

You can try a factory reset. Push and hold the reset button for 15 seconds and then release. The button should be located on the back of your gateway/modem/router, and you will need a ballpoint pen or toothpick. You should then be able to access your gateway using the standard means with the passwords listed on the label on the gateway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 3 of 7 (29,622 Views)
Voyager

Looks like the reset worked; I can access the gateway via the internet (webpage) now. Thanks!

Message 4 of 7 (29,609 Views)

titus34 wrote:

Looks like the reset worked; I can access the gateway via the internet (webpage) now. Thanks!

No problem, thanks for the update, and glad everything worked out. Stop back if you have any other questions, or just want a good read, or maybe even learn something new, as there a lot of subjects covered here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 5 of 7 (29,602 Views)
Voyager

Thanks! Will do. Not sure why the tech didn't think to try a reset, but then neither did I. Smiley Embarassed

Message 6 of 7 (29,575 Views)
Teacher

I read and understood the post but when I lost Internet connectivity the AT&T diagnostic told me inter alia to reset the router.

What it didn't tell me was that a reset will return the SSID and password to their original settings. I wasted hours trying to restore my Internet access until I figured this out. I recommend that you ask AT&T U-verse to amend their diagnostics.

This Community Board is very helpful.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 7 (27,400 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.