Need help with your equipment?
Uniblurb3's profile

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 3:53 AM

Can't stop the Spam on AT&T-Yahoo email

I have AT&T/Yahoo email and use Yahoo Classic. I'm getting about 30 emails a day in my spam box/folder and half of them are lewd or disgusting. And no, I don't go onto these types of websites. I've tried to block them but unfortunately they will have a different combinations of letters (not a name) on everyone of spam emails from the same site. I don't think my email stores these blocked sites anyhow and they come right back. And even though I might miss an email in the spam folder I went into "Spam Guard" and under "Empty Spam Folder" I selected "Immediately" and saved the setting. This didn't work either and they all still show up instead of being sent to the trash bin.

So when I click on any type of question mark in Yahoo Classic it immediately links me to the U-verse home page. It also prompted me the other day to contact AT&T, my provider, for any problems rather than contacting Yahoo. I remember before contacting AT&T/U-verse about other email problems and they said I need to contact ConnecTech which I know is a pay service. I'm not going that route.

I know with the "new" AT&T email they have some type of blocking system which may just flag a site and not let their emails be received anymore. But I don't want to switch back and forth all the time to do this. I'm also afraid I might lose the Classic email view if I do this and don't want to switch to the "new" email.

Does anybody have a solution for blocking unwanted spam w/AT&T Classic Yahoo email? I'd really appreciate any help but I'm not interested in completely changing email clients. Thanks!

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

9 years ago

I agree, I have had UVERSE 10 years,and I get hundreds of spam email daily. I send said emails to SPAM and the emails are still there. AT&T never delete them even after one week. The next day after marking said emails as spam they come back the next day. I have called and complained for years, but the spam keeps coming back. I do not know why you charge me almost $300.00 a month and nevere delete the spam, and it comes back the very next day. I feel like you take advantage of the consumer.

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

9 years ago

I wasted an hour on the phone with support last year and their solution was to change my password.  SURPRISE! did not change anything.

I created a gmail address and basically, don't use my AT&T address anymore.

And still getting spam, spam and more spam on ATT.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

9 years ago

Your 100% correct, I have wasted ten years on ATT, at $300.00 a month and it is just as bad as before.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

This is all good and well, but my issue is that the spam email comes to my old email account  @bellsouth.net on the ATT/Yahoo server. The emails come in and in the header designated as coming from ME, that is, from @bellsouth.net. Even though I identify these as SPAM using info in the subject line, and the mail server does indeed put them in the Spam folder, for some reason when I download email to my iPhone 6s (using POP3 bellsouth account) the spammed emails are downloaded to the phone. I do not see any options on the iPhone that would enable downloading only emails that appear and stay in the Inbox on the mail server. I’ve even tried disabling the email on the iPhone, waiting for the spam email to arrive on the mail server and seeing it get moved to the Spam folder, and then re-enable the email on the iPhone and the Spam emails are STILL downloaded even though they are not in the Inbox on the mail server.

What I do not understand is WHY AT&T cannot do something about this problem as it has existed for years (in my case) but now it is becoming really annoying for the email address that I've been using for at least 15 years (unfortunately, it is the base email address and not an alias)...

Also, I've looked at some of the code in these spam emails but do not see where they are originating from (server, etc). Any help is appreciated on this problem…

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Here's a new wrinkle. I have 432 blocked email addresses in ATT-Yahoo mail. Last week I added #433, "quickclickweb.com". But everyday after that, I kept seeing spam in the spam folder from that same address. Checked to see that I had correctly spelled it. Even did a cut&paste from the header info just to make sure. But spam from this address STILL shows up in my spam 5-10 times a day. Tried to contact Yahoo about this, but being an ATT customer, we don't exist to them. Contacted ATT tech support and after 1h and 23 miniutes with a very nice, but difficult to understand technician, he said that there was nothing he could do. I would think that SOMEBODY might be interested in spammers breaking Yahoo's blocking program, but I guess NOT!

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE ????

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Me too

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

UPDATE:

2 whole days without the aformentioned spam. Also, another site that had slipped through the "banned sites" list (hirelove.com) has disappeared as well. Smiley Happy

I think someone out there just might be listening!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I get over 150 a day, what i was told by a computer engineer is that it is the regular web sites we go to daily is selling our email address to these people this is a big money making deal. So if you block 10 today 20 shows up tomorrow.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Correct. But that's not the problem here. It's that a site that is BLOCKED (banned address) by you should NOT get through AT ALL. What good is having the ability to block addresses if they are NOT BLOCKED? If I deleted all my 434 blocked addresses, I would end up with over 100 emails in my spam folder everyday! 2 weeks ago, I was only getting 5-10 a day. Then, for some unknown reason,  previously blocked addresses started getting through. Now I average 5-10 "banned address" emails in my spam folder that should NOT be there at all. I thought they had stopped, but was dead wrong. Banned sites "hirelove.com" and "fixdebtfast.com" are still getting through. Again, my point is that if Yahoo offers the ability to block addresses, then they should be BLOCKED. NOT keep on getting through. Kind of like a condom that stops most of the sperm, just not all.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

After 2 calls and almost 3 hours wasted talking to ATT technical assistance, NO HELP. Their only answer was that I must be entering the addresses incorrectly. So I entered them 3 different ways: techwebreview.com; @techwebreview.com and info@techwebreview.com. Nothing has changed. Over 150 banned emails have arrived in about 30 days.

BTW, if you think you can separate your old Yahoo email address that was merged with your ATT account, forget it. The ONLY way that can happen is to delete your ATT account. That is starting to look like a viable option.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.