Need help with your equipment?
jtsoftware's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 6:08 PM

Can't access locally hosted website from behind the router, but can outside

Hi,

I recently had to be moved from ATT DSL to U-verse. At home I host a small non-commercial website with a domain name registered, listening on port 80.  I can access the website if signed in to my employer's VPN at home, but not from any machine in my home network.  This worked for a few days after switching, but then suddenly stopped working.

Any idea what's going on and if it can be fixed?

Since I can get to it from VPN, I assume folks outside of U-verse can see it.  How about folks with U-verse as their ISP?  The web site is http://www.jtlanguage.com.

Thanks.

-John

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

I suspect that the U-Verse RG is smart enough to see that the IP address you are attempting to route to is itself, and it is not applying the port forwarding to traffic coming from internal addresses as it is from external traffic arriving (since the traffic is coming from behind the firewall, not outside it).  If this is the case, you could put a hosts file entry on your local machines to identify the internal IP address rather than the external IP address for the web server, so that the computers go directly to the machine behind the firewall.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much for clearing it up for me, and so fast. I can just live with using the raw local IP address, especially since it seems it won't be a problem for others seeing the site. One little hitch is that I also have a service which I use to connect various Silverlight modules with a database via the service, but I put in a private hack so when I use it at home, it will use the local IP instead of the external.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

This isn't really a solution it's a work around.  Why shouldn't I be allowed out and back into my own network? What's so smart about being blocked by my uverse router?  My purpose is to be able to test my server's connectivity from the outside world.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

The only way to check the connection from the "outside world" is through an external proxy or to go to a friends or public hotspot.. Search around google, there are plenty of good proxy sites out there that allow you to browse to other sites from right inside your browser... I would still be leery about using any sensitive information such as usernames and passwords..

Otherwise, for local network machines, you need to set up host files pointing to your local ip for DNS resolution of the host server.. An easier solution is to set up a proxy server of your own on your host server, open your ports, and then you can configure the proxy across other in home devices or browsers... some browsers even have extensions so you can turn a proxy on or off easily.. If you are savvy, you can even access it through a domain, so you can use your home connection securely, say at public hot spots or work networks, so you can ensure your data is secure, and that you can access everything you normally can from home...

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

Some routers (that you could install behind the RG) would take care of this loopback for you.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I just use my cell phone's browser and cell data (turn off wifi) to make a test. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.