For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
seeker_jae's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 13th, 2015 10:20 PM

Can I fax from my wireless connection through U-verse?

I have U-verse for internet/phone/television, and have not used fax software from home before.

I have a Lenovo X201 laptop (ThinkPad Modem Adapter - Conexant Systems) connected wirelessly to a Netgear wireless range extender and finally to our wireless network router (Arris NVG589). There are no phone jacks in my home office as all of our home phones are wireless.

Can you help me set up to fax from home without buying new gear?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

8 years ago

Windows Fax could probably use a modem in your computer attached to a phone line, as most modems have the capability to transmit to a fax machine by making a telephone call to it.

Wireless Ethernet cards do not have any such native capability.  While FOIP software on your PC could use such a card to access a fax server, or Internet connected fax machine over an established network connection, I doubt that Windows Fax has that capability built in.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@seeker_jae - Google for internet FAX services to allow you to FAX using your current equipment.

Original fax uses a multifunction "printer" to copy pages and transmits them via a telephone modem over a telephone line.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Hello aviewer,

Thank you for the suggestion. I should have been more clear. My desire was not to buy any more equipment AND not to sign up for a fax service figuring that my existing U-verse bill was sufficient to allow me the occasional faxing with the software which is already included with Windows 10.

Perhaps it is not possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

8 years ago

@seeker_jae wrote:

Hello aviewer,

Thank you for the suggestion. I should have been more clear. My desire was not to buy any more equipment AND not to sign up for a fax service figuring that my existing U-verse bill was sufficient to allow me the occasional faxing with the software which is already included with Windows 10.

Perhaps it is not possible.

What Fax software do you think is included in Windows 10 that would allow you to do this?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Just expecting that Windows Fax and Scan can use either the modem, or wireless card in my computer or the router from U-verse to make the right sort of connection.

If it is not possible, just say so.

Thank you for the continued interest.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for the clarification.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

You sort of can, but it is a two step pricess. You scan your documents, saved in a facimilie document format. It is saved as a file, and can be sent by e-mail file attachement,

The advantage to that is, the recipient can open the documents withouth even needing to print it on paper.

Cell phone signals are still phone connections, so as long as the phone connected to the fax machine can make cell phone calls, and the receiving fax machine can anser the phone, I don't see why one could not make a cell phone based fax call.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Tigereyze209 wrote:

Cell phone signals are still phone connections, so as long as the phone connected to the fax machine can make cell phone calls, and the receiving fax machine can anser the phone, I don't see why one could not make a cell phone based fax call.

Well, no.  I've had issues with faxing over carrier-grade VOIP connections when signals that have tight timing constraints went awry because of the VOIP signalling (fun phone calls with Windstream local, Windstream long distance and their equipment provider Nortel).  With a cell phone, the voice networking requirements are even more different and even if your cell phone suddenly sprouted an RJ11 jack, your fax machine wouldn't be able to establish a successful connection over it.  Likewise, there are no apps that accept a document and deliver it to a fax machine using your phone's voice line capabilities, though a lot of fax services have an app to allow you to give it to them for transmission via their fax lines.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

As I said, or at least implyed in my previous post, whenever I need to send scanned documents other than a regualr phone connection, I make them into a data file (fax format) then e-mail it to the recipient, and let them reproduce them as they see fit.

Got to admit however, it was an interesting question, even for just a I wonder if.. etc.

And now we know. (meaning, no, does not work.)

So, origional question answered, thanks for playing!

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

You can also use an internet fax bridge service such as HelloFax.com. You upload a PDF via this web site (not sure what other formats are supported), provide the phone number and the service converts your PDF into an actual fax so that it arrives at its destination as a true fax. Generally, these services allow you some # of free faxes per month, but of course, you can also choose to pay for a monthly service.

This is but one example of this type of service. I like it because it is easy, and free as I rarely need it so I never have exceeded the free maximum.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.