Need help with your equipment?
joly37's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, August 17th, 2013 12:53 AM

Anti-Virus Program?

Now that U-verse is installed, what anti-virus should i use for my computer? Do i go with the McAfee or use something like AVG?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

I always reccomend Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 and earlier. Windows 8 has the same product already installed called Windows Defender.

But it truly is up to you what you install on your computer. They all work well in different ways.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

Many will recommend MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) if you are running Windows.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yep.  I have a laptop and a desktop....both using Windows 8.  I use Windows Defender on both of them.  It's good....it is unobtrusive....and it is free.

Right now I'm struggling with my brother-in-law's laptop which uses Norton anti virus and it is loaded with junk.  I think I've managed to clean out most all the malware, adware and other invaders.  Been working on it for an entire day.  He gets the Norton program for free with his Comcast service. (that figures)  I had almost forgotten how to run all these scanning programs, etc. because I just don't have the problem with my own PC's.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for all your help. Went with MSE as suggested. So far so good.

Guru

• 

594 Messages

11 years ago

McAfee is a situation where the cure is worse than the disease.  McAfee has been known to slow even the most modern computer down to crawl.  It's a bloated piece of crap.

Microsoft Security Essentials like others have said is a great alternative if you don't want to pay for antivirus software.  Avast is another great example of a good free antivirus software.

If you want to pay for an antivirus software I do suggest Webroot.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you! i'll friend you once I'm on my ps3 again. I went with MSE so no issues or bloatware. thankfully.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

No problem. If you do friend me on the PS3 please send me a message that you saw me on the at&t forums.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.