For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
lynkosi's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 1:34 PM

Amazon Echo fails to connect to WiFi

I've attempted to set up the Amazon Echo and it repeatedly fails to establish a wifi connection to the device.   I have the echo dot and it worked fine.  Amazon indicated that the echo had more stringent security built in or that the ATT network may be blocking the device from connecting in some way.  I have ATT Uverse, and internet, so I have the ATT router supporting those services - no other equipment is connected.   I've read I may need to change the frequency for the device and all kinds of things, but I'm just not sure.  Any one else experience this?  Any fixes?  

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@lynkosi

AT&T cannot block WiFi connections that use a valid password to connect. Have you followed the instructions at Amazon Echo WiFi ?

• 

1 Message

Yes but it's still telling me that my Echo isn't connected to my wi-fi to go to my Alexa App & have & it gives me a list of router hubs & the Arris isn't one of them so what do I do now?@ApexRon 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Yes.  I've authenticated my wifi.  Progress bar on the Amazon set up app starts and fails repeatedly.  Message is sent that it has failed to connect to my wifi.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have the same problem. Spent hours on the phone with Amazon. The had me return the device. New one just arrived and same issue and cannot connect to Att wireless internet. I am at a loss on what else to do. Any ideas where to go from here?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

Echo's do not require UPnP.  I have two Echo Dots.  And no UPnP.  It connects only as a client to the Amazon servers.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Yes,  The set up begins, the progress bar starts then stalls every time.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Same here.  They sent a new one thinking it was the device and the same problem occurs.   I was hoping someone else had discovered the solution.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@lynkosi @JefferMC @my thoughts @BingoD

Let me repeat back my understanding of the issue that everyone is experiencing:

1. You go through the process of initially configuring the Echo by selecting your WiFi network
  2. WiFi password is entered successfully
  3. Echo appears to move on to the next steps in the installation process but stalls

First step, on your AT&T provided router/gateway make sure that you have disabled IPv6 as the AT&T current implementation can cause issues on a home network.

In reading several articles on the Echo here are some considerations:

1. Make certain that your AT&T provided router/gateway WiFi SSID names are different
  2. Make certain that you use the 2.4 GHz WiFi, at least initially
  3. I am not familiar with the interface in configuring an Echo but if you can determine what, if any, DHCP assignments were made and advise

By default AT&T provided router/gateway uses 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 network with its address being 192.168.1.254. However, by default, DHCP does not use the full Class C. You may want to take that into consideration.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

IIRC, the setup for the Echo is similar to my WiFi-enabled thermostat.  You have to run the Alexa app on your Smartphone and it connects to the Echo in AdHoc mode to tell it the parameters of your Wireless Network, then they're both supposed to revert back to your infrastructure Wi-Fi network.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you. This was the information that helped me get Amazon Echo connected!!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I'm not sure what response helped you get connected. I have had the same problem with my Amazon Echo. Tried to connect it numerous times to my AT&T U-verse Internet without success. Can you walk me through - in layman's terms - how I get my Echo connected?

Thank you 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.