Need help with your equipment?
Bluesjam's profile

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

Thursday, January 2nd, 2014 9:06 PM

Am I Overloading?

My current problem is that my Wifi signal isn't as strong in some parts of my house as they were in the past.  Here's what I have.  I believe I have a RG 2wire 3801.  I have 6 wired TV's, 1 wireless TV, 4 Apple TV's, 2 iPad's & 2 iPhones and also I have a Uverse land phone line.  Also have one desktop computer.  My internet speed is 18m.  Overall all of that works well.  Do have some bufferring problems with the Apple TV's from time to time but my problem is that I'm not getting a strong Wifi signal in the Den of my House.  Have I overloaded the 2wire?  Do I need a newer more powerful unit to replace the 2wire?  I've read about extenders but they sound like another problem.  Should I call AT&T?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

How far is your 2Wire RG from the Den where you are having issues?  Is there a microwave oven between them (or near either end)?  What about cordless phones?  Do you have any of them between or near either end?  Both of those are sources of interference for the wifi signal.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Bluesjam -
Here is where you check and save these settings - http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

Make sure power is up to 400mw,
Try different channels
Try just b or g

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

To address both reply's, and thanks for both.  I went to the RG toolbox and all my settings were just like the ones you posted.  I didn't understand about changing to b or g channels.  Looks like mine was on channel 11.  The Den and the Kitchen is the farest away from the RG about 66 feet away and yes there is a microware and the corless phone in that room.  I never got great signal strength in the Den but I think that it was better in the past than it is now.  Is a extender a option for me?

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

I saw from other Google searches that was the preferred extender.  I was just going to stop by the store and buy one but I wanted to do the correct thing and ask you guys first.  Will pick one up and report back soon.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you Geekboy & aviewer for your help.  I got the netgear 3000 and it works great.  Thanks for your help.  I knew this was the place to go to fix my problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.