Need help with your equipment?
Sam_A's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 10:20 AM

All wireless devices lose internet connection

I've been a U-verse customer for nearly a year, and this problem just cropped up a couple of weeks ago. All Mac computers, one connected by Ethernet to the RG and the rest of the devices are wireless. The hardwired computer has no issues, but every wireless device loses internet but remains connected to the RG. Sometimes turning wireless off/on on the device results in a temporary fix. Other times a reboot of the RG results in a temp fix, but nothing works permanently.

I have changed channels on the RG. AT&T has changed channels on the RG. They have also disabled Wifi Protected Setup in the RG. All computers are up to date with current software. AT&T replaced the RG with a new one a few days ago. This is maddening with all wireless devices losing internet but remaining connected to the RG, whose signal is solid throughout the house. The problems are on computers, phones, ipads, and every other wireless device. I have turned off wireless on all devices except for 2 to see if that would correct the problem, and it had no effect. TV seems to work ok, as well as the landline phone. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Excellent post here by SomeJoe about wireless interference:

http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

I've been in your shoes, and had to get another router (Airport) to use for Wireless.  A neighbor moved away (think the source was a baby monitor), and now my WAP in the UV RG works again.

I had 3 RGs, updated drivers on the wireless card...nothing worked.

You may have to resort to using another router for your WAP. Smiley Sad

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

The RG has given our home really solid coverage...better than any other wireless I've ever used, so I hate to think I have to turn it off and hook up another router that doesn't reach as well. I wonder if going back to cable would make more sense.

This morning has been really bad with wireless disconnects. On my Macbook Pro it loses the IP address, so I think that's where part of the problem is. Why it's losing it I don't know. I restarted the RG and the laptop came back online. I'm pretty computer savvy but not when it comes to networks. A service call is scheduled this evening so maybe they will be able to nail down the problem. In the mean time I've disconnected our cordless landline phones which didn't help, so I can rule out interference from that. The microwave oven isn't used very much so it's not that. No baby monitors here either. Nothing has changed in our home that would interfere with the RG. No new electronics, etc.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

That's the problem, it could be something outside your home, out of your control.

We don't have a baby monitor, but I think the next door neighbor did; when they moved away, our UV WAP returned.

No need to get an expensive Airport for wireless, but you know that.

Have you tried MAC filtering in the RG for all wireless computers?

All wireless computers have the same security settings (WEP, WPA, WPA2)?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I've not tried MAC filtering. I understand how it works and maybe I should consider it if it will stop outside interference, if that's what's causing the trouble. As far as I know all the computers have the same security settings, but doesn't the security come from the RG? It's the default WPA.

So a tech came out last night, checked the line for noise (didn't find any), scratched his head and said he didn't know how to fix it. He said he was going to do his homework and would get back to me if he found anything. Another tech from AT&T called me and said they're going to see what they can find, blah blah. They really want to fix it, but admit they don't know how.

In the mean time I disabled WIFI on the RG and hooked up an Engenius ECB9500 router which seems to be working ok, but with less range than the RG.

Quite frankly, I'm considering going back to cable for my internet needs. This is really getting annoying.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

The RG has security, but what I meant is to make sure your wireless computers are using the SAME encryption type.  Also, check to see if computers are set for b, g, or bg.

On your new WAP, is there a setting to increase the Signal Strength? 

(like the Power Setting on the UV RG 

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1  )

MAC filtering can be done on this page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1a

And you found a Wireless channel that is less used than the previous one?

Scholar

• 

261 Messages

13 years ago

Treadmill's are notorious offenders.  Is there an exercise freak in your house?  Lol.

If you are such the Apple fan, I would recommend you grab a new Airport Extreme or Airport Express base station and use it for your wireless.  You can disable the wireless in the RG, and rely on the Apple device to provide you wireless coverage.  If you get one of the new ones that supports 802.11n as well as if your Mac gear is relatively new - your speed and coverage area should be even better than the 2wire RG.  802.11n is much faster and covers larger distance than 802.11g.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I took your advice, turned off wifi in the RG, added an Engenius ECB9500 as an access point and all is well. No more dropped wifi. The AT&T RG was obviously causing the problems since they have not surfaced again.

So here's the gripe: There have been NO wifi problems in the 11 months I've had U-verse. Suddenly the RG that I was sold-on is useless for wifi and I'm forced to buy more hardware in order to stay online. Although it's working perfectly, I can't help but feel I'm getting screwed. Multiple calls to AT&T and two service calls with techs scratching their heads without knowing how to fix their crappy product have left me pretty annoyed. I can only wonder how many other people are experiencing the same issues.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I can't explain it either as I've been in your situation. 

Back to using the UV RG WAP now, but if something else in the 'hood pops up with interference beyond my control, I know I can go back to the Air Port.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I've use Airport routers for a few years but went with the Engenius because of its 3 antennas which give me better coverage than my Airport Extreme does.

Now I'm awaiting delivery of a Luxul system to beam my wifi across the street to my studio (about 400ft). Ever do anything like that?

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I only went with the Air Port because the son was using a Mac, LOL!  If I had it to do over again, I'd go with something less expensive.  Also, wanted the office printer to be shared wirelessly, but some software functions would not work using Air Port.  Printer works wirelessly now without problems on our network just using direct USB to the main computer.

Nope, you are way beyond my expertise with your proposed setup!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.