Need help with your equipment?
Codysatx's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, July 4th, 2013 6:31 AM

AT&T Uverse and Twitch.tv

Not sure if it has been posted about on this board before but in the last couple of months there has been a huge stutter and lag problem across the board for all major ISP's and this site, to include Uverse. From what I can tell it occurs at the Level 3 CDN that uverse routes through. I know Comcast and Time Warner have talked to Twitch.tv to get this issue fixed but is AT&T going to be doing anything about it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Long time twitch user, supermod, etc.

I have spoken with a few of the twitch 'engineers' (backdevs who know everything there is to know).

This is not just AT&T.  Comcast, TW, VZFIOS and ATT all have issues (just google twitch + [any ISP]

f

The conversation always comes to the same point: it's a peering agreement issue.  Twitch blames ATT, ATT blames twitch, in the end some of the peering agreemments and transfer of lines between companies (some of this sh*t was installed by 'pacific bell'...rented off/sold to smaller companies..upgraded without re-doing the whole block...re-acquired by Pacific Bell (now known as AT&T...)...

no bueno, overall.

AT&T could probably remedy this the easiest of all the ISPs involved.

Remember who installed the gridwork and owns the lines for basically every urban area on the west coast?  Look at any public telephone/payphone...PacBELL.  

They also have the most leverage.  They can say 'suck it, pay us more' all they want because their bottom line isnt' affected, if they simply do nothing at all.

(1post account, wont check back.  just dropping a tidbit here. my sources are conversations with internal twitch architects and a few friends at the california superloop mainline.)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have Media Com, They lease from AT&T.

I spent a long time on there tech support line trying to get ID10Ts to understand my issue. As it was ONLY twitch.tv causing the problem it MUST be twitch TV right???????????

After taking 6 hours of my OWN time to trace the issue down, i sent them some log files, routes, packets and a few other things.. the next day i got a reply in my inbox

"We have escalated the issue to our NOC. At this time it appears to be an issue between us, AT&T and Level 3 communications were something isn't getting routed correctly. "

Confirmed AT&T issue, stop trying to say it is not.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Starting having this issue again myself around a month or so ago. Unfortunately I got nowhere with support, hopefully your escalation will fix this for all of us (my route to twitch sends me to a Level3 connection as well).

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@thadpearsall wrote:

I have Media Com, They lease from AT&T.

I spent a long time on there tech support line trying to get ID10Ts to understand my issue. As it was ONLY twitch.tv causing the problem it MUST be twitch TV right???????????

After taking 6 hours of my OWN time to trace the issue down, i sent them some log files, routes, packets and a few other things.. the next day i got a reply in my inbox

"We have escalated the issue to our NOC. At this time it appears to be an issue between us, AT&T and Level 3 communications were something isn't getting routed correctly. "

Confirmed AT&T issue, stop trying to say it is not.

Just because the issue you're having today may be a routing issue that is fixable, doesn't mean the experience of anyone else in a time period separated by weeks and possibly thousands of miles geographically has anything to do with that.

Sometimes it's a real AT&T problem.  Often it's the same peering congestion that all of these large scale video providers have.  The solution is for someone to pay for the increased dataflow. The most logical entity to pay for it is the one thats generating all the dataflow.  That's what happened with Netflix/Comcast.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Here's the bottom line: say all you want about peering and who should pay and blah blah blah. All people know is THEY'RE PAYING FOR INTERNET AND CAN'T USE A WEBSITE OTHER PEOPLE CAN.

It's like when cable companies stop carrying TV channels over negotiations. You know what, I don't give a F whose fault it is or who should pay. All I know is my neighbor still has Comedy Central and I don't. And if my cable company doesn't get it back, (Yes, them. Because that's who I pay for the service), I will SWITCH to another one that has it.

So if ATT can't make these customers' Twitch work, and their neighbors and workplaces and cellphones, etc. all DO... well, they will leave ATT for someone else. That's what they're trying to tell them, and you just tell them how stupid they are and how it's not ATT's problem.

And lol at the ATT apologists on this site, anyway. You'd think ATT was their dead grandpa or something the way they defend it. JefferMC keeps chiding people for giving their personal examples and then responds non-stop about how Twitch works fine for his son on ATT? It's like he straight up gets off on insulting customers looking for help.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

I was assured I was not conected via peer sharing,so this prove's that att employee's have no clue what there telling people and that att is not truthfull and I already researched the artical your refering too,its easy unless you want change's that insure your bank statment.I think we should all go back to pull in system it's way cheaper and a faster connection.plus I never leave my apt.with my device's any way the couple times I tried there are no hot-spots

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.