Need help with your equipment?
Codysatx's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, July 4th, 2013 6:31 AM

AT&T Uverse and Twitch.tv

Not sure if it has been posted about on this board before but in the last couple of months there has been a huge stutter and lag problem across the board for all major ISP's and this site, to include Uverse. From what I can tell it occurs at the Level 3 CDN that uverse routes through. I know Comcast and Time Warner have talked to Twitch.tv to get this issue fixed but is AT&T going to be doing anything about it?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

..that means nothing without more details. What quality? What type of show? Are there are a lot of viewers on the stream he is watching?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

also what time does he watch streams? Because before noon its fine. One source also used ATT lines on the VDSL. Because when i would do a tracert. It would show a sbcgobal IP address. Its just uverse trying to limit us due to the bandwith 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@Izzmo wrote:
..that means nothing without more details. What quality? What type of show? Are there are a lot of viewers on the stream he is watching?

Time of day I can answer: anywhere between about 9 AM and 11 PM, any day of the week, but more on weekends.  He's watching League of Legends captures, usually in full screen but I haven't paid much attention to the resolution, though I can say it didn't look grainy or jumpy when I've looked at it.

And... what possible difference does it make on "Are there are a lot of viewers on the stream he is watching?"

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@Donovan1981 wrote:

also what time does he watch streams? Because before noon its fine. ...

Between 9AM and 11 PM ET, and when I'm looking at it with him, its usually in the evening.

@Donovan1981 wrote:

... One source also used ATT lines on the VDSL. Because when i would do a tracert. It would show a sbcgobal IP address. Its just uverse trying to limit us due to the bandwith 

Would you like a chance to rephrase those statements as to make a cogent argument, because you certainly failed that time.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

If he's just watching "captures," or I would assume the saved videos, then I think streaming would be fine. But actual live streams are the problem.

I have found, and I don't really know if it's related, but streams with hundreds of viewers are sometimes worse and loading than streams without tens of viewers.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@Izzmo wrote:

If he's just watching "captures," or I would assume the saved videos, then I think streaming would be fine. But actual live streams are the problem.

I have found, and I don't really know if it's related, but streams with hundreds of viewers are sometimes worse and loading than streams without tens of viewers.

Okay... so: explain to me, in simple terms, what the difference is on the AT&T side of the equation between the live stream and the saved videos.  Take your time, I'll wait.

He watches both the captures and the live competition videos at different times.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I knew I was shooting myself in the foot a little there. BUT, I would assume it has to do with the videos being served from different places. Obviously live streaming is different technology than saved vidoes..

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@Izzmo wrote:

I knew I was shooting myself in the foot a little there. BUT, I would assume it has to do with the videos being served from different places. Obviously live streaming is different technology than saved vidoes..

Well, the video stream is probably not compressed as well on live video as on prerecorded, so it may require more bandwidth.  It may come from a different server.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Izzmo wrote:

@Donovan1981 - Don't let JefferMC and oufanindallas get to you.  They clearly think it is just Twitch.tv, even though we all have experienced that we can view the same streams fine on other ISP's or, like your said, on our mobile devices ON AT&T's network. It is, in fact, a U-VERSE problem.

I don't know how many people need to explain it different ways for these trolls JefferMC and oufanindallas need to understand it. I am on UVERSE, on the highest package available, and cannot stream 480p streams. While, on my phone, I can stream 1080 just fine. Furthermore, I can VPN out of AT&T's network onto some other ISP's and it will be fine. Clearly, this is a AT&T U-VERSE problem.

{keep it courteous}

So, the links that JefferMC posted aren't proof enough that it's not an AT&T problem and that other major providers are having the same issue.  Whatever, people seem to be so blinded by their issues that the forget the forest for the trees.  The same issue that people have with YouTube and claim it's an AT&T issue, I have at work and we have an OC3 speed at work and we still have issues with some streaming services.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

How about we look at this a different way oufanindallas. People who don't have problem don't complain, so you do not hear from them. You only hear from the people having problems.

That being said, TWC has problems with what appears to be bandwidth limiting. UVERSE is the other big one that comes up. Verizon is spotty based on the Twitch.tv KB and usually has something to do with outages.

I can literally go next door to my friend's place, who uses Cox Internet, and it will be fine on the same stream. That's a UVERSE issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.