For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
Codysatx's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, July 4th, 2013 6:31 AM

AT&T Uverse and Twitch.tv

Not sure if it has been posted about on this board before but in the last couple of months there has been a huge stutter and lag problem across the board for all major ISP's and this site, to include Uverse. From what I can tell it occurs at the Level 3 CDN that uverse routes through. I know Comcast and Time Warner have talked to Twitch.tv to get this issue fixed but is AT&T going to be doing anything about it?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@Donovan1981 wrote:
@JefferMC

This is a known ATT problem. I just moved into a new house that only has att uverse. But i had a small company called One Source and i had no problem streaming 4 streams at a time at 1080p. But with ATT. I can only stream 720p anytime before noon. After that it is 480p only or lower. ATT is routeing us wrong. If you look thou google you will notice that this is happening all over the US. so it IS A ATT PROBLEM. Not twitch.tv

Thank you for your opinion, however, you've just done the equivalent of taking a single drop of water from the ocean and determining from it that all bodies of water on earth are salinated.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Donovan1981 wrote:
@JefferMC

This is a known ATT problem. I just moved into a new house that only has att uverse. But i had a small company called One Source and i had no problem streaming 4 streams at a time at 1080p. But with ATT. I can only stream 720p anytime before noon. After that it is 480p only or lower. ATT is routeing us wrong. If you look thou google you will notice that this is happening all over the US. so it IS A ATT PROBLEM. Not twitch.tv

Care to quote your source or are you just making another assumtion?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

https://www.google.com/#fp=c49cf3b642d89bba&q=att+uverse+and+twitch.tv+problems

Like i said. If you look up thou google and you will find out how many people are posting about the problems they are having with twitch.

I even have problems with netflix taking a while to load into HD. I called Tech support and they told me it was my video card.. I ended the call and gave up on ATT uverse for now.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Well, while you're at it, you might also be interested in these searches, as they're returning a large number of hits:

https://www.google.com/search?q=comcast+and+twitch.tv+problems

https://www.google.com/search?q=Charter+and+twitch.tv+problems

https://www.google.com/search?q=TWC+and+twitch.tv+problems

Be sure to check out your choice of U-verse replacement before switching.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

So you are telling me that some company called One source in Keller TX can run twitch with out a problem. But yet a company like ATT can not? But its a twitch problem? Im going to make this as easy as i can.

One source = no problem. No matter how many streams i had up at 1080p

ATT Uverse = Can not watch 1 stream above 480p

ALL that means to me as a customer is that ATT has a problem with something that they need to fix.

I can watch streams on my iphone with no problems and its also on ATT. So it is a uverse problem.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

@Donovan1981 - Don't let JefferMC and oufanindallas get to you.  They clearly think it is just Twitch.tv, even though we all have experienced that we can view the same streams fine on other ISP's or, like your said, on our mobile devices ON AT&T's network. It is, in fact, a U-VERSE problem.

I don't know how many people need to explain it different ways for these trolls JefferMC and oufanindallas need to understand it. I am on UVERSE, on the highest package available, and cannot stream 480p streams. While, on my phone, I can stream 1080 just fine. Furthermore, I can VPN out of AT&T's network onto some other ISP's and it will be fine. Clearly, this is a AT&T U-VERSE problem.

{keep it courteous}

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@Izzmo wrote:

@Donovan1981 - Don't let JefferMC and oufanindallas get to you.  They clearly think it is just Twitch.tv, even though we all have experienced that we can view the same streams fine on other ISP's or, like your said, on our mobile devices ON AT&T's network. It is, in fact, a U-VERSE problem.

I don't know how many people need to explain it different ways for these trolls JefferMC and oufanindallas need to understand it. I am on UVERSE, on the highest package available, and cannot stream 480p streams. While, on my phone, I can stream 1080 just fine. Furthermore, I can VPN out of AT&T's network onto some other ISP's and it will be fine. Clearly, this is a AT&T U-VERSE problem.

{keep it courteous}

There is a problem moving data between the Twitch.TV CDN and you.  That problem may exist in the U-verse distribution system.  However, it may also exist in one or more peering points between Twitch.TV's CDN and U-verse, or within Twitch.TV's CDN that is being selected by AT&T's DNS servers to serve your house.

My issue with these posts I have replied to is that they state that there is an obvious and simple problem that obviously exists solely within AT&T's U-verse network, within AT&T's sole control and that AT&T simply refuses to solve this problem.  My responses are only to point out that these things are not simple, not likely solely AT&T's responsibility and not unique to AT&T.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Normally, with a company in the business of providing large amounts of data (e.g. Twitch.TV) they have a content delivery network that provides content from many different locations, normally on one or more ISPs  and have mulitple peering points to consumer ISPs.  So theres not usually many ISPs in this scenario (I'd say three, tops), but still amultitude of different paths to choose from.

So, obvious choke points or possible limitations could be:

- Content servers don't have enough power to serve the requests

- Content server networks don't have enough bandwidth

- Content server network hardware can't keep up with packet load

- Content ISP Network to peering point is over loaded

- Network routing error takes data to sub-optimum peering point

- Peering point is over congested (network/hardware/contracted bandwidth)

- Consumer ISP network between peering point and last mile is over congested

- Consumer ISP hardware is over loaded

- Consumer's circuit/last mile is bad/overloaded (including contracted bandwidth)

- Consumer's in home network or equipment is overloaded

Any and or all of these could be in play and can change by the hour.

I would not assume that Twitch.TV has "plenty of" bandwidth.  They are a business with income and expenses.  Unlimited bandwidth is expensive.

Bullets 1, 2, 3, and 4 are probably the reason why, Twitch does not have enough power anymore with their growth (and they are growing very slowly compared to their growth), And probably since they break their own chat and video servers every other day.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I'm not sure how that makes any sense.. considering one can just go to a different ISP.. at the same time, same stream, and it is fine. Obviously it is not bandwidth.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Different ISP may mean totally different CDN infrastructure.  Note that my son uses Twitch.TV on AT&T U-verse on a daily basis and rarely complains about buffering or lag.  Same ISP, different results from you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.