Need help with your equipment?
njcastillo's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 6:28 PM

5268AC gateway

Recently the gateway was replaced to new 5268AC gateway because of my frequent complaints of u-verse service dropouts and slow internet, after several weeks of service and a couple of tech visits of  line, home wiring, signal  testing, etc  it has not improved.  I was sold an upgrade to 24 Mbps to resolve my slow internet browsing but no significante improvement, the internet speedtest is really meaningless as most of the time it does clock at 24 -30Mbps but the LATENCY varies significantly as much as 22 - 380 Ms which obviously the speed test is good with 22Ms but when surfing its slow as its not a single burst/stream access.  I tend to believe that its due to saturation or limited bandwidth at my point of service, obviously ATT does not accept it.

Anyone having similar issues or suggestions ?  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

Try just changing one of the NIC's to the Google DNS and see if the behavior your seeing changes.  If it does, it's nothing on your internal network causing the latency.  It's outside of your home, then trying to get AT&T to correct it is going to be almost impossible.

Most speed tests I run the latency is anywhere between 15 and 25. 

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

8 years ago

thanks, I have read the ATT TOS which is fine and not much different than  other service provider, you are the first from ATT to bring it up but anyway you suggested  an ip change to make the network re-route the path. Am i correct to assume the ip address you gave is just a base address which the network server will then assign the unique ip to my gateway. I know what my current dynamic ip address is, do i need for ATT to re-route ?

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

He's telling you to use Google DNS server instead of the AT&T DNS (Domain Name System) server.  You would set that up in your computer's Network Interface Card settings.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

8 years ago

BeeBeeSA ,

Thanks for the clarification, as I was a little confused as I took it to changing the gateway ip address which concerned me as to ip conflict in a huge node network. I am looking to resolve / improve the gateway access, rather than configuring all my NIC which I do have several.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks, I did notice some improvement after making the DNS change, although not consistant and slow. It seems that where in the que my request falls determines the speed of the responses , bottleneck.

Once again thanks for the input.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Re: 5268AC gateway

"Devices connected to a local ATT server (speed test.net) does not have problems....

Only when you go through vpn is issue seen (Internet speed slows way down)?  Routing, congestion, etc. Could try changing the devices DNS setting.... 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 are two possible to see if can acquire a different routing path."

Please clarify more.  Are the DNS settings to be changed in the [device's] OS (ex: desktop computer with ethernet/dsl) via Control Panel [Network and Internet, Adapter Settings, Properties, TCP/IPv4, TCP/IPv6, Preferred/Primary DNS server, Alternate/Secondary DNS server], or are the DNS settings to be changed in the "router" via gateway user interface (Settings, LAN, DHCP, First DHCP, Last DHCP)? 

Seriously, in the gateway user interface, the "Broadband," tab does not allow changes to Current Internet Type or Connection, but the "LAN, DHCP" tab does allow changes to DHCP configuration. If you have accessed "Broadband, Link Configuration", there is a section (Supplementary Network) in which router address and subnet mask can be changed but, not certain if that section is the pertinent one to change network settings to use the google public dns to help with "my Internet speed has dropped off face of the earth due to the vpn and I really want to use my vpn and browse the internet using speeds faster than geologic ages" problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.