Need help with your equipment?
pixeltreat's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, October 27th, 2012 3:15 AM

3801hgv/tplink gigabit switch/time capsule wifi issues

I recently remodeled my home and created a smart panel. My setup is this: outside connection to the 3801hgv. Cat5e from 3801hgv to a tp-link 16-port gigabit switch, multiple cat5e cables throughout the home that lead to the gigabit switch. Uverse box connected to cat5e in living room. The tv with u-verse service works great. So no problems there. Also my laptop is quite fast when connected directly to ethernet in other rooms. I then set my Apple time capsule in bridge mode with a seperate network name directly to the 3801hgv and it works fine, 22Mbps download. But if I connect the time capsule to the tp-link switch the wifi connection get sporatic and slow, under 5Mbps with dead spots. 

My question, before I go out and test another Switch, is there something with the 3801hgv that is causing a conflict with this setup? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

The problem is that your 16 port switch doesn't understand the IGMP v3 protocol that is being used by the STBs to subscribe/desubscribe to the multicast feeds that are used by the live broadcast streams. 

The RG only sends the multicast traffic to the ports on which it's gotten requests from STBs.  If you have the AE on a switch on the same RG port as an STB, then it will get hit with the multicast traffic.  Without going into more detail, this is a bad thing.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, first I've heard of this. I'll swap the Switch to a Netgear Prosafe GS116NA. Looks lie it supports IGMPv3 snooping. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

The Netgear Prosafe GS116NA is still causing slower Internet speeds. I've read multiple post stating that the gs108na the 8 port version is what att Suggests to use. Any ideas?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@pixeltreat wrote:

The Netgear Prosafe GS116NA is still causing slower Internet speeds. I've read multiple post stating that the gs108na the 8 port version is what att Suggests to use. Any ideas?

AT&T does use the GS108.  But you should still not mix HSI and IPTV traffic on a single GS108 if there is a wireless access point or router on the GS108.  Otherwise, the GS108 is fine.

IGMPv3 support is not listed as a feature of the GS116.  It is listed as a feature of the GS116E, which costs approximately $25 more. I don't know of anyone who has used it, sucessfully or no.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.