using phone causes internet loss

Highlighted
Contributor

using phone causes internet loss

Apologize if this is a duplicate post--after I clicked "post" the website took me back to the initial welcome page as if I'd just logged in and can't find my original post anywhere, so....

I've had Uverse phone and internet (3.0 MBPS) for a couple months.  It was professionally installed because we have an alarm system.  Lately I've noticed that when the phone is in use, we lose access to the internet.  The wifi signal strength is still good, but the status says "limited--no internet" and my web browser reports "connection to the internet lost."

I wouldn't think VOIP would use all my available bandwidth, so something's not right.  Is there a setting on the gateway that maybe needs to be changed?

Message 1 of 6 (281 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: using phone causes internet loss

[ Edited ]

twohoos - Sounds like the wires are crossed between the RG feed and the Tel connection.

The ideal u-verse feed is always a single cable from the NID to the RG. Not connected to anything else.

When you have u-verse voice the dial tone is available at the RG on the tel 1/2 jack & can be distributed to the rest of the house by connecting to the house wiring as long as it does not connect to the NID-RG feed.

The alarm adds some complication because it wants to be between the tel sets and the dial tone so that it can cut the sets off off when it dials an alarm. Also, its dialer must be pointed towards dial tone.

The U-verse wiring is the reverse of DSL wiring. With POTS/DSL the dial tone source is the NID. The DSL may ride the house wiring & be separated by a filter for tel sets. Also, existing house wiring is usually hidden in the walls & it may not be easy to determine all connections. The best thing is to keep it away from the RG feed.

When changing from POTS/DSL to U-verse, these two design changes provide opportunity for failure. The need to reverse the alarm connections adds to the opportunity.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (279 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, let me check my understanding here:
RG = router/gateway
NID = network interface
POTS = ?? but the context implies "traditional analog phone"

It appears to me that it's set up as you described:  the RG is connected to the NID via house wiring.  A line goes out of the the RG back into the house wiring (a 2nd jack on the same box).  I assume the alarm system is spliced in inside the NID.

It sounds like you're saying that the installer needs to come back out and check his work. We did indeed convert from vox/DSL combo to Uverse VOIP/internet combo, so it's very possible there's a stray connection somewhere. I don't remember if the alarm has been triggered or tested since the installation, so I guess that's something else to troubleshoot.

Message 3 of 6 (266 Views)
ACE - Expert

twohoos -
RG - yes
NID - Yes, on side of the dwelling. Connects drop wire to house wiring. In your case should be only feed to RG.
POTS - Plain Old Tel Service - "traditional analog phone"

Yes, the wiring needs to be checked by a knowledgeable somebody.

You could call in & they can test with your tel on-hook & off hook.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (259 Views)
Contributor

After some more troubleshooting, it appears the issue is the 2.4GHz cordless phone signal interfering with the wifi signal.  The router channel was set to "automatic," so now I'm trying different channels to see if I can deconflict the signals.

Message 5 of 6 (209 Views)
Tutor

If changing wireless channels does not fix the signal, you can also try moving the phone away from the gateway.

Also watch out for other items that could cause interference with your gateway. (e.g. glass/metal tables, large mirrors)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

Message 6 of 6 (201 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support