mandyhill12's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019 9:37 PM

Closed

using own modem router

I was told by Uverse internet tech support that I could use my own modem router. He told me to callback the next day to get my order amended due to the department being closed that handled it. I called back and got the run around about using my own device. One employee said I can then the next said its required that I use AT&T equipment. The FTC states that you are not required to rent equipment from companies for internet purposes. I have also reviewed the internet use terms of use. it does not state that at&t does not allow you to use your own devices. So which is true, Can I use my own modem router or not?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

You must use the att gateway to get internet and tv services. You can use a wireless router behind the gateway. Once you have service, post which gateway you received. We can then link instructions to use a router. 

• 

4 Messages

I have a pace 5268ac fxn

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

5 years ago

While you can purchase a used AT&T gateway* from Ebay or Craig's list , it will still carry the monthly equipment fee once it is provisioned.

And the law applies to CABLE companies and cable internet.  AT&T is not a cable company.  AT&T internet is broadband internet service and is exempt.

*Note: All AT&T gateways are the property of AT&T.  Any "purchase" would be for stolen goods.

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

slow internet

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

The speed of my internet is trash.

• 

30 Messages

start your own thread

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Has anyone done a teardown to see what AT&T have added to the firmware? The only reason I can think of a company forcing people to use their equipment is $$$. What are they collecting?

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

3 years ago

2 year old topic closing to further posting. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.