Explore & discover

Helpful Links

using own modem router

Highlighted
Contributor

using own modem router

I was told by Uverse internet tech support that I could use my own modem router. He told me to callback the next day to get my order amended due to the department being closed that handled it. I called back and got the run around about using my own device. One employee said I can then the next said its required that I use AT&T equipment. The FTC states that you are not required to rent equipment from companies for internet purposes. I have also reviewed the internet use terms of use. it does not state that at&t does not allow you to use your own devices. So which is true, Can I use my own modem router or not?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Professor
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎09-03-2019 3:19 PM

Re: using own modem router

You must use the att gateway to get internet and tv services. You can use a wireless router behind the gateway. Once you have service, post which gateway you received. We can then link instructions to use a router. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

While you can purchase a used AT&T gateway* from Ebay or Craig's list , it will still carry the monthly equipment fee once it is provisioned.

And the law applies to CABLE companies and cable internet.  AT&T is not a cable company.  AT&T internet is broadband internet service and is exempt.

*Note: All AT&T gateways are the property of AT&T.  Any "purchase" would be for stolen goods.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4
Employee

depends upon your internet service....

Legacy DSL, up to 6M internet with 150G data cap, $10/50G with no unlimited option requires you to purchase a router such as 7550 or 4111 as examples.You own.

Uverse based internet of ADSL2+, VDSL FTTN or FTTP direct fiber that has 1T data cap with unlimited option available, requires ATT equipment. About 60 million addresses have this opton within the 21 state footprint, and as mention ATT is not cableco and may set the requirements. You may purchase and place behind the ATT equipment a router of your choice.

ATT Fixed Wireless requires ATT equipment, ATT owns.

ATT hotspots are generally purchased equipment that you own. 

Thus depending on your service type both reps were right. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support