embassy2934's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Thursday, April 18th, 2013 7:51 PM

unwanted wireless tv traffic

Whenever I turn on a receiver (stb) the RG transmits the Uverse tv stream to the receiver twice: once over the HomePNA interface and simultaneously over the Wireless network.  The wireless tranmission is superfluous as I don't have any wireless receivers (they are all connected via house coax cable).  It uses up so much bandwidth that no devices can connect to the access point, so I need to suppress it.  I have upgraded the RG and tried to use MAC filtering to block the receivers from the wireless network, but neither has any effect.  Any ideas on how I might prevent the RG from sending the TV signal over the WLAN?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Certain HDMI cables can provide an Ethernet connection, but the U-verse STB's do not do so on that interface (or so I am told by those who know such things).

If the STB is connected to the Marantz only by HDMI or component, and the WNCE3001 is only connected to the Marantz, I still don't understand the behavior.  My understanding is that the OP does not have wireless STB's or the WAP for feeding the wireless STBs.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

aviewer is correct, the connection from STB to Marantz is via HDMI and not Ethernet.  None of my STBs is wireless - they date from 2008 before AT&T came out with wireless STBs.  When one of the STBs is on the Uverse TV signal goes out the coax port of the RG to a splitter which relays it over three coax runs to all three STBs.  That's as much as I understand.  The DVR STB is connected to the Marantz via HDMI and the Marantz was connected to the WNCE3001 via Ethernet.  How this could cause the RG to re-transmit the Uverse TV signal over the wireless network, and what destination it was transmitting it to, is a complete mystery to me.  All I know is removing the WNCE3001 from the system stopped the re-transmission.  All it was really giving me was notifications of firmware updates to the Marantz, which are infrequent anyway.  It was also giving me access to Spotify and Airplay but if I want those I can get them in other ways besides the Marantz.  I am very curious as to why this phenomenon occurred, and am quite willing to continue hashing it out, but I can now access the Internet while a TV is on and my smartphone is no longer running down trying to maintain connection to the RG, so the immediate problem is resolved.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Those packet counts you were showing us quite a few posts back... they came from here on the RG display?

Detailed Wireless AP Statistics

Packets transmitted: 18148742
Packets received: 10713062

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Actually, those came from the Traffic Statistics section at the bottom of the Settings/LAN/Status page.  I wrote down the counts for Packets under Wireless and HomePNA1 at one minute intervals and then manually calculated the differences to get the packets per minute on each interface.  Although they didn't match perfectly I thought they were so close and so consistent that they had to represent the same data being transmitted - namely, the raw Uverse TV transmission containing all channels.

Traffic Statistics

Interface Bytes Packets Errors %

Ethernet
Port 1 Transmit00                              --                                                          --                            
Port 1 Receive00                                --                                                          --                            
Port 2 Transmit00                              --                                                          --                            
Port 2 Receive00                                --                                                          --                            
Port 3 Transmit00                              --                                                          --                            
Port 3 Receive00                                --                                                          --                            
Port 4 Transmit62431569324                              --                                                          --                            
Port 4 Receive3826433081                                --                                                          --                            
Wireless
Transmit976539964077986171490
Receive1083933967134449800
HomePNA1
Transmit281654218112096043900
Receive11703818139553000

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

I thought the RG transmitted Internet traffic only over wireless and only transmitted the TV information to the STBs over cables (whether coax, phone wire or Ethernet).  You seem to be saying that Internet traffic can be carried on both wireless and coax-thru-the-STB.  That raises some interesting possibilities for wired Internet access.  I'll try that out.and let you know how it goes.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

embassy2934 - Internet traffic is on the RG wi-fi, cat5 and COAX. TV traffic is on COAX, cat5 and a separate WAP wi-fi.
If cat5 is used the path back to the RG must be either TV or internet. Not both. Which is why I asked you if you had a speparate router.

The WNCE3001 seems to be performing that undesired mixing function observed in a router.

Internet and TV can be mixed on the coax/hpna feed, even though not officially supported by att.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

I did as you suggest and the Marantz got added to the HPNA network.  I am able to access Internet services and also LAN services such as Airplay.  When I think of all the time and trouble I could have saved with nothing more than a short length of network cable.  Oh well, if AT&T doesn't support it there's no way I could have found out about it except on a forum like this one.  Anyway, many thanks to everybody who has devoted time to thinking about my issue and coming up with suggestions.  I learned a few things about this technology.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.