embassy2934's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Thursday, April 18th, 2013 7:51 PM

unwanted wireless tv traffic

Whenever I turn on a receiver (stb) the RG transmits the Uverse tv stream to the receiver twice: once over the HomePNA interface and simultaneously over the Wireless network.  The wireless tranmission is superfluous as I don't have any wireless receivers (they are all connected via house coax cable).  It uses up so much bandwidth that no devices can connect to the access point, so I need to suppress it.  I have upgraded the RG and tried to use MAC filtering to block the receivers from the wireless network, but neither has any effect.  Any ideas on how I might prevent the RG from sending the TV signal over the WLAN?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

This issue seems to be resolved.  The tech came out and replaced some parts (VDSL splitter mainly), tested the cabling, installed yet another RG, and generally brought everything up to current standards.  Everything was working fine when he left.  Later, as I went around connecting my various devices to the new RG, suddenly it started again - the Wireless light started blinking rapidly and devices could not connect.  It began to dawn on me that since nobody else in the world had experienced  this problem, it must be due to something that is unique to my environment, such as the specific devices I had connect to the wireless network.  One of the last devices I had connected was a Netgear WNCE3001.  This is basically an Ethernet-to-WiFi interface device.  It is most often used to WiFi-enable audio/video gear with an Ethernet port but no wireless capability built in.  My Marantz 6007 audio/video receiver supports the use of AirPlay and Spotify, which I wanted to try out on my network, which is wireless only.  The WNCE3001 was very easy to set up and worked beautifully.  Apparently though, when any set top box in the house is turned on (even in a different room from the Netgear device) it somehow causes the RG to repeat the Uverse TV stream over the WiFi network, using up all the bandwidth and making it impossible for other devices to maintain/establish connection.  Once I powered off the WNCE3001 the problem went away.  Now I see that many people have experienced similar problems with this product.  Unless somebody can figure out a way to configure this thing so it doesn't screw up the WiFi network I definitely recommend that Uverse customers avoid buying it.  If you want a service that is provided by an Ethernet-only device you are probably better off installing an Apple TV or Roku, which most likely can deliver any service you want.  Take away message:  avoid the WNCE3001 like the plague!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Since the DVR is feed by COAX just plug in an ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the back of the DVR and the other end into the Marantz.  That will get you internet to the Marantz.  Of course this is not supported bt AT&T but it works.  I have one set up that way in my BR.  STB fed by COAX then an ethernet cable from the ethernet port on the STB to my Sony TV on the wall.  Works fine.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Are you sure it's not coming from a neighbor with a wireless receiver?  As I understand it, the wireless boxes have a seperate "N" wireless transmitter that plugs into an ethernet port on the RG and it's solely for that purpose.  You can use inSSIDer  to check.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, the wireless TV is separate - needs a WAP.

My question is how is the problem showing itself?

I believe initial transmission of a tumed channel is "multicast" - that is It is transmitted to all devices via COAX/HPNA and cat5 network connections. This can overwhelm some ancillary switches/routers & maybe has been known to clobber wireless if there is a fault in the RG.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

The problem doesn't occur when all set top boxes are off, and always occurs when any of them are on, so it appears to be confined to my equipment.  Looking at Settings/LAN/Status at Packets transmitted on the Wireless and HomePNA1 connections, the numbers go up in lock step when a set top box is on, so the same packets must be getting transmitted by my RG on both networks.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

embassy2934 - Why not call in & have them remotely test the RG. Then they wil send you a new one. Or, decide you need a tech visit. If you request a tech visit they may say it will be a charge,

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T suspected a faulty RG and sent me a new one, but the problem persists.  The symptoms include loss of Internet connection while sending/receiving email or Web surfing, and rapid drain of battery power in my phone due to repeated attempts to re-connect to the RG.  Looking at packet statistics on Settings/LAN/Status in the RG, the numbers for Wireless and HomePNA1 go up rapidly in lockstep as soon as any set top box is turned on, suggesting that the same packets are being transmitted by the RG on both networks.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

They already replaced the RG with a (slightly) newer one which didn't have any effect.  Probably a tech visit is inevitable, as from the many hours of online research I have done it appears I am the only one on this planet at least that has had this phenomenon.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

embassy2934 - Just to cover the elephant in the room - you do not have any other routers/switched - only the RG??

Your problem sounds like you have a router/switch in a path connected to both computers and STBs. If you need an additional router/switches path should have ONLY computers or STBs.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

From the duplicate post, which has not been merged with this yet:

Doubt the RG is generating Wifi traffic, when you watch tv. Something else is going on at the same time. What all do you have connected to your RG, and how do you have those devices connected to it?

How many are wireless, how many connected via HPNA (Coax), how many connected via Ethernet (Cat-5e/Cat-6), what switches do you have, how are the switches connected to the RG, are there any third party devices connected to the back of the DVR or STB's (Set Top Boxes), through the Ethernet port, if they are connected via Coax back to the RG.

As for 1990's coax, actually Coax dates back as far as the 1920's.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.