For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
rom38's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, February 25th, 2014 5:14 AM

netgear wdnr3700 as a wan bypass mode with att uverse 3801hgv???

hi guys.

i just moved to a new 2 story house with cat5 plugs in every room. i fanally got att uverse fiber optic, and to my surprise i realized the signal is pretty bad(wiireless g only). The att box is upstairs and i cannot get any signal downstairs (living room, kitchen) and for sure nothing at all outside.

i just spend my last 2 days off trying to figure out how to setup my netgear wdnr3700 to function not as a different wifi but kind of an extender. As you can read my tech vocabulary is limited so let me recap:

- wifi not strong enough for the house.

- i want to use my wifi router to and plug it to the cat5 downstair to extend the original 2wire wifi

- I even have a second netgear wdnr3700 that i will use at the other side upstairs (i need a strong and fast wifi to use chromecast and more) The regular g wifi from att is very weak.

Please advise that i'm not an expert and if you can give me an easy step by step guide i will just love you...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

but i have another problem now.

My house is brand new and even with my router 10 feet away from outside my device dont get any signal from my router.

The only way is to let the window wide open wich i really dont like cause its very hot outside and it is just a waiste of my ac.

I am now thinking of a homeplug with wifi that i can connect via the external plug.

The question is:

- Will i be able to change the setting of this homeplug wifi to use it as a bridge the exact same way i did with my wndr3700??? (cost around $100)

Is there any other solution knowing that i still have another wndr3700 that i dont use yet? (no cost )

I count on you juliewashere u have been amazing so far...

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Rom,
Sorry for the delay, your post got lost among the older posts. I'm having difficulty grasping why you're having trouble receiving signal from ten feet away. Your walls must be made of metal! Smiley Very Happy

I believe that HomePlugs simply act as bridges, they don't have DHCP and don't offer any advanced routing function. That being said, as far as I know, there are no PowerLine adapters that are weatherproof or certified for outdoor use. It's also worth noting that if your external plug and the plug used for the HomePlug, are not on the same circuit breaker, they may not be able to link with each other. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.