dieselweasel's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, September 10th, 2012 7:58 PM

i3812V iNID and Apple Airport Extreme - At my wits end!

OK, I have been messing with this for about a week and I'm about to give up and throw in the towel and move back to Comcast.  I have uVerse internet and TV with the following hardware:

2x Scientific Atlanta STB's

i3812V iNID

Netgear 8 port switch
i38 HG

Apple Airport Extreme

I am pretty well versed with phycial networking and have this setup all over ethernet that was freshly run.

iNID ---> Netgear Hub ---> i38HG, STB's, Airport Extreme all connected to the hub.  Airport Exteme is on Bridge mode and I have tried with and without DMZ giving the Airport Exteme the external IP address.  I have tried everything I can think of and no matter what, I either get DVR that won't play back any recorded media (says error loading content), some channels that don't work at all, IP addresses not getting assigned properly, or STB's both reporting IPTV disconnected and no TV signal. 

What else to try?  I have even removed completely the i38HG from the mix (it already has wifi turned off by me), and that doesn't seem to make a difference.  Should my wiring be iNID ---> Airport WAN port ---> Netgear switch ---> STB's and other connected devices?  Will that make a difference??  Please help, I'm going insane here!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Replying to my own post but I thought I'd post a solution since I believe I have finally figured it out.  First I connected from iNID ethernet port to a Netgear switch.  From switch ethernet to STB1 and ethernet to STB 2.  From switch ethernet to i38HG.  From i38HG ethernet to Apple airport extreme in bridge mode only, no DMZ.  Rebooted iNID AFTER all DHCP had been given out and each device was working.  Now, I have everything up and running, QUICKLY, with no drop outs.  Thanks to all for the help, much appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

@dieselweasel wrote:

iNID ---> Netgear Hub ---> i38HG, STB's, Airport Extreme all connected to the hub.  

I think you're having a multicast flood issue.  But I need a little more clarity first:

1) "Netgear Hub"?  What model name/number is this device?  I'm not sure it matters, but the fact that you say you're using a hub makes me wonder about the previous sentence.

2) How is the Netgear Hub connected to the iNID, i.e. which port?

I understand that the i38HG's latest firmware handles IGMP v3 properly now, but I kind of doubt that your "Netgear Hub" does.  You need to segregate the IPTV multicast traffic from your High Speed Internet traffic, especially when involving wireless.

Try connecting your i38HG directly to the INID, then branching off from there.

Although, to be perfectly honest, the last thing I heard was that they were still running IPTV via the COAX output of the INID only.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Evidently working on this setup for almost 48 hours straight left my brain a little frazzled.  I meant to say Netgear SWITCH, model # GS108, 8 port gigabit switch, not HUB!!!!

So from iNID straight into port 1 of the switch (which is autosensing for uplink).  Connected to the same switch is ethernet to STB1, ethernet to STB2, ethernet to i38HG, and ethernet to an Apple Airport Extreme, and ethernet to Mac Pro.  Again, Airport extreme is in Bridge Mode and I have tried DMZ and no DMZ, both with same results.

Thanks!!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

@dieselweasel wrote:

Evidently working on this setup for almost 48 hours straight left my brain a little frazzled.  I meant to say Netgear SWITCH, model # GS108, 8 port gigabit switch, not HUB!!!!

So from iNID straight into port 1 of the switch (which is autosensing for uplink).  Connected to the same switch is ethernet to STB1, ethernet to STB2, ethernet to i38HG, and ethernet to an Apple Airport Extreme, and ethernet to Mac Pro.  Again, Airport extreme is in Bridge Mode and I have tried DMZ and no DMZ, both with same results.

Thanks!!

Well, the GS108 is a nice switch, but it doesn't have full and proper support for IGMP V3.  As such it will NOT limit the multicast traffic arriving in one port to only those ports making IGMP requests for it.  Thus, all ports will get it.  The ports that contain STB's will be happy about it.  The Airport extreme will be extremely unhappy about it.

Unless everything is just fine when you've got both STB's unplugged.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

This is exactly the scenario.  All's well if I leave the TV's out of the mix and it will stay that way.  Alternatively I've tried setting the Airport to give out 10.0.x.x addresses which works great but then everything is too separated.  All my computers can talk to each other but I can't see the STB's from my iPad or iPhone (I use the remote control features of both devices).

Can you recommend a good IGMP V3 switch that will help?

Thanks again!!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

That may not be the whole problem with your IPTV service though.  But I'd start as I suggested earlier:  Hook the i38HG directly to the INID, and hook your GS off one port from there, and your STB's off the other ports of the i38HG.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

So my setup should be:

INID --> i38HG. 2nd port on i38HG to STB 1, 3rd port on i38HG to STB 2, and 4th port to Airport extreme WAN port and then from airport to switch for computers and all?

BTW at my old residence I had to old style residential gateway I believe 3800 HGV running into Airport Extreme in Bridge mode, never had one second of down time in almost 4 years.  New residence...notsomuch.  FRUSTRATING but I appreciate so much your assistance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

Well, yes, I suppose the i38HG would filter the multicast out for you in that configuration.  Glad you found a solution.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.