connection problem with my macbook pro

Teacher

connection problem with my macbook pro

hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?
Message 1 of 102
Guru

Re: connection problem with my macbook pro

I hate to point out the obvious here, but Penny and Cathy, you're advice is not working. No matter if we check all the cable connections (which by the way how do we get online in the first place if the cables aren't connected properly?), change the wireless channel, change the power setting, talk to eChat, nothing works! It's plain and simple, there is an inherent problem with this 2wire DSL modem and it's compatibility with Mac and AT&T simply doesn't have a fix. At one point you guys even recommended purchasing a new modem from the equipment shop. Are you INSANE? Why on earth should we pay for a new modem? This should be the sole responsibility of AT&T, not the customer. WE are the ones paying for service in the first place!! It appears the only solution to this problem is to switch providers.
Message 46 of 102
Employee

Hello jwhite00,

The wireless issues with 2 Wire router would still be best resolved if you work hand in hand with Home Networking team and troubleshoot according to their recommendations.
If you are experiencing wireless issue, while connecting your Mac book with 2 Wire router, it is recommended that you contact our Home Networking team. If require they may ask you to contact Mac technical support.

For assistance with wireless issue with 2 Wire router we have help available at 1-800-345-7669 between 6am to 8pm Monday through Saturday, 7:00am to 6:30pm on Sunday.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 47 of 102
Tutor

Just purchased a Cisco Linksys router Model: WRT120N from BB for $69.99 on sale down from $99.99. I plan to Bridge the 2wire this weekend, hope that solves the issues.
Message 48 of 102
Contributor

I have an ongoing issue with my DSL, it keeps dropping, randomly, sometimes once an hour, sometimes every 5 minutes. AT&T has been out here 3 times, they have replaced all the phone line from the road to my house, replaced the DSL filters with an external on the box, I have replaced my old westel modem with a new AT&T 2-Wire DSL modem and had all the wiring checked in my house. It doesn't seem to drop when I am just using my Dell. When my Macbook Pro tries to connect to the time machine backup (which is does successfully) it seems to drop. I have the Airport Extreme connected via ethernet to the 2-Wire, but I have also tried turning off the Time Machine backup, unplugging the Airport Extreme, disabling the backup on my MBP, and connected the DSL modem directly to the outside box on my house with nothing else on and it still keeps dropping. I have eliminated everything I can think of and every time I call AT&T they threaten me with an $80 fee just to come out. It is not a problem with my house wiring, my modem (just bought a second new 2-wire today, still drops the connection)? I called AT&T DSL and a Level 2 Tech said he "thought" there was noise on the line but they could not (or would not) troubleshoot any farther because there was an appointment for someone to look at my phone line and they wouldn't do anything else until that was done (although they have already done that 3 times now). Any suggestions at all, other than the so obvious ones listed? This has been going on for about a month and it driving me crazy. I am on AT&T's 6mb DSL FastAccess. My 2-Wire connection settings are below, but right now it is connected of course. AT&T DSL 2-Wire Modem 2701HG-8
Message 49 of 102
Employee

Hi scottfillmer,

I am very sorry for all the trouble that this issue had caused you. It would be better if you call our DSL Help Desk at 888.321.2375 and request to be transferred to our 2Wire Home Networking Level 2 since all the possible troubleshooting steps that we can give you are already listed on this thread. This should have nothing to do with your DSL signal since your Dell (Windows) computer can connect to the internet just fine. Please follow their recommendation regarding the incompatibility issues between your Mac OS computer and 2Wire gateway.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 50 of 102
Tutor

Hooked up the Cisco Linksys router Model: WRT120N this weekend and bridged the 2wire gateway. 3 day's past now and not a single issue with the dropped connection anymore every single minute with my macbook. I'm so happy!!!!! A lady at Cisco in the Philipines support center helped me configure the Linksys. I would recommend anyone else having the same issue and At&T cannot fix, to bridge the gateway and by a new router
Tags (2)
Message 51 of 102
Teacher

now that 10.6.3 is out i will see if the internet got fixed
Message 52 of 102
Teacher

still havent been fixed
Message 53 of 102
Employee

Hello ,

I am sorry that you had to go through this unpleasant experience and I appreciate the admirable restraint you exercised in your message. My sincere apologies for the time you have spent dealing with this issue.

Your issue would be best resolved if you work hand in hand with AT&T Home Networking technician and troubleshoot according to their recommendations. 
Please, contact Home Networking at 

877-722-3755 and let them know about the incompatibility issue that you are experiencing with your Macbook and 2 Wire wireless connection.

They are open 24/7.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
Message 54 of 102
Contributor

I have the same problem! This is definitely an issue that needs to be fixed ASAP I'm so tired of hearing the rest of my family gripe when I connect my macbook to the internet when they have been cruising just fine all day!
Message 55 of 102
Teacher

att are just keep telling me to call when every time i call them they tell me to do same things...
Message 56 of 102
Tutor

TRY THIS. Working perfeclty for weeks now. Hooked up the Cisco Linksys router Model: WRT120N this weekend and bridged the 2wire gateway. 3 day's past now and not a single issue with the dropped connection anymore every single minute with my macbook. I'm so happy!!!!! A lady at Cisco in the Philipines support center helped me configure the Linksys. I would recommend anyone else having the same issue and At&T cannot fix, to bridge the gateway and by a new router
Message 57 of 102
Contributor

hey dude im from the philippines too and im having the same problems like everyone here.

may i ask how did you bridge your gateway 2wire to a modem?

Message 58 of 102

THE REAL PROBLEM IS THIS...

The issue is a communication problem between the gateway modem/router to the Macbook pro.

I just had u-verse internet installed 3 days ago. i am going through the very same issues as everyone else who has posted.

Yes you can use another roughter to bridge the issue but we as consumers shouldnt have to do that. Its a waste of our money to spend extra.

Gateway and Apple need to come up with a permanent fix for this problem. I was on the phone with tech support 3 times  on the phone and had 2 servicemen out to the house to see if they could resolve the problem. NO SUCCESS.

AT&T tech-support needs to stop posting fix-it solutions on here. THEY DO NOT WORK. There needs to be a firmware upgrade or update from both Gateway and or Apple.

This is embarrassing for AT&T who has a very strong partnership with Apple via iPhone etc.

PLEASE for the sake of the all AT&T U-verse customer who use macbook/macbook pros,
FIX THIS PROBLEM once and for all.

D.

Message 59 of 102
Teacher

first

i do not need or want to pay extra for something i do not need to spend on

second

att should either do something about it instead of telling everyone to do something that does not work.....

Message 60 of 102
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support