connection problem with my macbook pro

Teacher

connection problem with my macbook pro

hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?
Message 1 of 102 (14,142 Views)
Teacher

Re: connection problem with my macbook pro

I ALSO ADVISE TO SWITCH TO WIRELESS - B mode and/or switch to 24mbps maximum connection rate

or DTIM of 5

some combination of these settings is what makes the modem stable. Definitely the wireless-b only mode eliminates the RED light but the modem could still become unresponsive to clients. 

Message 91 of 102 (8,246 Views)
Employee

you could change just one at a time and see what does it. Least then you would nail the culprit down for sure.

Try it in this order first.

1.) try changing back to G

If still positive connectivty

2.) try undoing your DTIM

if undoing both still gives you positive connectivty , then the IP scheme change was the culprit and changing it was the solution.

Least then you would know for sure what did it! which might be worth it to a lot of MAC users around here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 92 of 102 (8,237 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

To everyone,

Im about 95% sure the winning combination is wireless-b only mode AND change ip address pool to 172.16.x.x

David,

I've set the dtim and connection rate back to default....havent noticed instability....i think its finally working!

I'm happy! If I get anything new to report I will, but otherwise I'm happy, and I'm sure other people will be as well.

Message 93 of 102 (8,234 Views)
Contributor

I am a 'technologically challenged' MacBook user on a 2Wire modem and am experiencing the exact same issues as you all are describing.  I've had a handful of technicians out to my home, spent hours on the phone with AT&T, received a new modem on Wednesday and I am still dropping the connection incessantly.  Can you please explain to me exactly how to do these two things?  I'm on a MacBook, not a MacBook pro, but hopefully someone will be able to lead me in the right direction.  I'm ready to toss my laptop and modem out the window right about now.  

Message 94 of 102 (8,226 Views)
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by David (Employee)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

[ Edited ]

you have to go into the wireless settings of the modem http://192.168.0.254

go to home network -> wireless settings 

enter in router password

go down to additional settings -> wireless mode -> CHANGE to "b"

click save

go to home network -> advanced settings

go to private network -> click on 172.16.0.0

click save

Message 95 of 102 (8,219 Views)
Contributor

Thank you so, so, so much for your help!  I did this shortly after your posting and have had zero connectivity issues since.  I am so happy not to have to deal with changing services over this.  Thanks again!!  

Message 96 of 102 (8,200 Views)
Employee

Just a question to you...

I saw in one post where you were operating G and it was working and then B it's working as well. Is the change from G to B needed or no?

Again just to clear up any confusion from prior posts.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 97 of 102 (8,190 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

the two must be combined

Message 98 of 102 (8,186 Views)
Teacher

rock solid. I am glad ~I~ was able to help solve this issue.

Message 99 of 102 (8,113 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

After a storm and the power going out, I couldn't get my bridged 2Wire and NetGear router to work.  I couldn't find the right 'combination' of resetting and such; so I tried just the 2Wire again.  Same problems..

I changed the address to 172.16.x.x as suggested.  It seems to work great!  One problem...

Now that I have changed the 2Wire address, I cannot log into the 2wire hardware using http://192.168.0.254.

What would the new address be that I need to type into my browser to access the hardware?

Thanks!

DUH!  THAT WAS A DUMB QUESTION!!  

NEVERMIND!!!

Thanks for the advice!

Message 100 of 102 (7,906 Views)
Contributor

My wife has had a problem staying connected to our 2wire for over a year since she bought it. No one was able to help, and I dreaded going to the support line again so I went on line and found your post, tried it, and it works perfectly! I appreciate you taking the time and your talent to post this fix. It was an enormous help!! Thank you!!!!

Message 101 of 102 (4,336 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I'm having a similar problem. My Mac Pro, which is hardwired, works great. Our iPhones and iPads connect wirelessly and work great as well. However, our Apple laptops (12" PowerBook & 13" MacBook) wont connect wirelessly anymore. Leading up to a few days ago, the laptops would lose connection periodically and I'd just reset the modem/router to fix the issue. Well now resetting the modem does nothing. The laptops "connect" to the network but I can't pull up any pages on the web. I called AT&T tech support and spent forever trying to fix the problem but couldn't. Since they couldn't figure it out, they figured it was a hardware problem and sent a new Gateway. It still doesn't work. 

I attempted to do what themack707 said: I changed the wireless mode to "b". However, whenever I switch the DHCP Network Range to 172.16.0.0 and hit save, it stalls out--nothing happens so I have to reset the Gateway again.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It's really frustrating...

Message 102 of 102 (3,911 Views)