hyunbum11128's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 8:06 PM

connection problem with my macbook pro

hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

att please stop. just stop it with these routers. you're just making people mad.

its obvious you signed some contract with 2wire to buy all their horrible routers and resell them to us.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

Been using Airport Extreme  for years through 4 providers with no real issues on both Mac and PC (Dell.Acer and HP).

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

the company does not want to admit there is a problem, at least as long as the guy who accepted the 2wire contract is in charge. because if there is a problem admitted then:

a) that person is directly responsible for the hundreds of thousands of dollars lost in service calls and tech visits when the actual problem is simply a faulty router

b) they will have to confront 2wire about this problem, harming their business relationship, since 2wire wont get all our money any more without doing something, or break contract...basically it would be a legal pain in the ....

c) admitting there is a problem means they would have to replace all our routers

d) what would they do with all the warehouses of these horrible routers

e) more i could think of

all of these things are a big hassle. i can pretty much guarantee that somewhere they are aware of all our issues and scuffing it off is somehow rationalized to be the most cost effective solution when it comes to job security for the people at fault.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

New to the forum... I just started having problems with this modem in February... the usual blinking green followed by the blinking red... the kicker for me is that the blinking usually starts after I quit out of a browser.  Google Chrome, Firefox, and Camino all seem to cause this modem problems, which is odd because as I said, they didn't really start until February... it's a shame that I'd have to buy another router and use this modem as a bridge in order to get the service that I'm paying for... it's ridiculous that AT & T is going out of their way to try and absolve 2Wire of any and all responsibility for this issue... they've got us checking our wall connections, line connections, looking for other electronics in the area "that might cause a disturbance" (really, AT & T?  It's 2011, not 1994) with the modem, making sure that the computer is at least 10 feet away from the modem... all of this running around in circles is absurd...

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Hooooray!

After only one week with my new MacBook I was going crazy, I almost returned it.  

I followed the advice of some in this thread and bridged my 2Wire and bought a $49 Netgear N300.

Fantastic! it took me about an hour and now have excellent service.  I am of course bothered the my AT&T hardware wound not work, but I am surfing again.

Thanks for the excellent advice!

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

att please give me a new router

i have switched to wireless-b mode or whatever the lowest letter setting is, and i no longer get the red light desync issue

however the modem just poops itself just the same.....doesnt respond to pings....its obviously affected by my WEB traffic

att please give me a new router and everyone else afflicted with this problem

2wire router is a piece of junk

Employee

• 

442 Messages

13 years ago

I have ran across this issue a few times myself, as well as some of the Mac users here. 

A few things that may/may not help.

Network name of the Mac-  Apparently some 2wires freak out because the network name (machine name) isn't proper or uses non-standard characters. This apparently drives the 2wire nuts.

Changing the base IP address from a 192.168.x.x to say a 172.16.0.x or another base address- Apparently someone I worked with a while ago found that his Mac was arp'ing the (&^$%*(%&*$) out of the base address causing the 2wire to shut down/reboot because the 2wire think's it was being attacked.  I never did find out which version of the O/S that was but one clue we did discover is the 2wire was reporting a attack from an internal address in it's logs.He did open up a Genius Bar ticket on this and he would e-mail me back if he ever got an answer as to why, but so far I haven't gotten anything back.

Change the 2wire's wireless channel- Most 2wires come on a default  channel 6. If there is other more powerful devices on those channels it might be just be plain wireless noise. Now for windows there is a utility called "netstumbler" you can run and see what channels are occupied. The idea here is simple, find the channel not showing up and use that one.

Watch the number of ports that are open- Had another instance where the Mac was opening up too many ports on the 2wire and the 2wire would just reboot and drop the connection. This one happend on wireless as well as wired.

Again keep in mind these are tips that may/may not help.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

David, thank you for the insight.

I had a feeling it had something to do with ARP packets maybe.

I will try to change the subnet ip range, and report back if it works.

Also regarding the too many ports open problem, im not sure how to fix that one besides enabling the mac firewall?

Employee

• 

442 Messages

13 years ago

@themack707 wrote:

David, thank you for the insight.

I had a feeling it had something to do with ARP packets maybe.

I will try to change the subnet ip range, and report back if it works.

Also regarding the too many ports open problem, im not sure how to fix that one besides enabling the mac firewall?

not sure on the ports one either. THat one can happen to windows and MAC machines none the less. We call it the bit-torrent kill of the 2wire as typically it would max out the connection table in the 2wire as well as max ports open. This too will cause the 2wire to reboot/disconnect. Now the 2wire keeps the connection count to 2048 I believe. My thought is what on earth are you doing with 2048 connections to begin with? The MAC firewall might not be a bad idea as you can get a first hand look at what ports are going in and out. I would also make them match to the 2wire's interface as well. Least if the 2wire "knows its coming" the 2wire already has it enabled.

The ARP packets didn't make sense till that guy tried another old linksys he had and it was choking that one out as well. Ironically all the windows based machines were fine (go figure!).

I am not sure and I haven't seen it anywhere, where the 2wire handles uPnP connections. When I saw the interfaces I can't say I saw it on a particular page, however the 2wire may just handle it and not report it.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

I changed the network to 172.16.x.x.

This has seemed to have fixed the problem, after a day of dhcp issues and what seemed like the same problem as before.

But today its been rock solid. I changed back everything to default basically with g connectivity, with wpa2 and have had my vpn connected, and its been solid even going on some video chat sites that would reset the connection many times.

TO ANYONE HAVING ISSUES TRY AND CHANGE THE SUBNET IP RANGE TO 172.16.X.X

Thank you again, David! If this is in fact not the solution I will of course post again, but obviously I'm impressed enough to make this posting.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.