hyunbum11128's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 8:06 PM

connection problem with my macbook pro

hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

is there anyway to get new internet modem?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

Hi - I appreciate all the AT&T techs telling us to go through all these steps, but it is obvious from the reading and other sites that the problem is an incompatibility between 2WIRE and Macs. My son has a Mac. Our DSL works fine with all our PCs and with any guests who come with PCs. But when he comes home with his Mac, the trouble begins. The 2WIRE Internet light turns red for a bit, then it reconnects. All other computers have to shut down browsers and reopen. Even the computer which is hard wired to one of the ethernet ports shuts down as well, so it does not just affect the wireless connections on the modem. Reading elsewhere says that the 2WIRE doesn't even support Macs. If that is the case, what was AT&T thinking when recommending it for their DSL installations? If something just needs to be tweaked on the Mac or on the 2WIRE, someone needs to be able to post what the tweak is. I hope AT&T can come up with a better answer than clearing cache or reinstalling something!

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

Exactly Jim. I'm waiting till i can scrap up enough cash to get either the airport express or extreme to run the wireless. Hopefully that will fix the issue. Any body else had luck with this setup using the 2wire and airport extreme for the wireless? For now it is unfortunate but I just have to deal with it.

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Hello hyunbum11128, If you are interested in purchasing a new modem/router from the Equipment Shop, it is recommended that you contact the Equipment Shop through the number. (888-573-4147) You may also visit our web page through the link mentioned below: Main Page URL - http://att.com/equipment

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Hello rkempf, I appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. If you have followed all of the steps outlined above (as per the issue, which you are experiencing) and you are still experiencing problem while connecting through your 2 Wire router, it is recommended that you contact our Home Networking department, as they are trained to handle specific issues of 2 Wire router. You may contact our Home Networking department at 1-800-345-7669 (Mon - Sat 6:00 am - 8:00 pm), Sun 7:00 am - 6:30 pm Pacific Time).

Former Employee

• 

69 Messages

14 years ago

Hi everyone,

The primary reason for intermittent connection between a Mac OS computer and 2Wire gateway is the type of encryption. Most Mac OS X computers prefer WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) as its encryption type. WPA is compatible with all Wi-Fi adapters but not all access points. This option uses WPA with a Pre-Shared Key (PSK), also known as personal. PSK is entered as a pass phrase between 8 to 63 alphanumeric characters in the ASCII format at both ends of the wireless connection.

If you have already tried to change the encryption method from WEP which uses 10 hexadecimal characters to WPA-PSK, you may also need to contact Apple Support and ask for any wireless patches that can possibly resolve this issue.

Otherwise, please contact our AT&T technical support over the phone (888-321-2375) or through chat for further troubleshooting.

To contact our AT&T eChat help desk, click the link below:

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se.aspx

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

it disconnects my dsl even when i changed to WPA-PSK and my airport patch is up to date im getting really tired of this thing...... do something please... talk to apple or something

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

Wow, I've been having this dropped connection since I switched to ATT DSL almost a year ago. I've put up with it this whole time and have had enough. Thought I'd try to fix it this evening. After reading this string, it doesn't appear that there is a fix? I have a late 2008 MacBook. I never had this problem on Comcast... Thinking of switching back unless someone has a quick fix. I don't want to spend months trying steps that lead to dead ends... I'm on hold trying to call ATT DSL support - online chat not equipped to deal with wireless issues.. 9 minutes on hold so far...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

Well, as an update, my call was answered in about 9 minutes. I was on the phone with ATT DSL support for 40 minutes. It didn't seem that long. They ran some tests from their side and have escalated my connection issue to the broadband team. Seems one of the tests came back with an error and there may be an issue with my line. I am expected to get a follow up call by 2 pm tomorrow. Maybe there is hope...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

I received an automated call from ATT regarding my trouble report stating that the "line appears to be testing OK at this time" and to press some number to confirm or another number to let them know there is still a problem or if I am unsure at this time, to call back a number when I have had a chance to check. I don't know if anything has changed but I do know that I have been online for about 45 minutes without a dropped connection. It's random to begin with - it could be completely fine and then the next day it will drop the connection numerous times. I guess I'll give it some time and the first time it drops the connection, I'll call that number to report the issue...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.