hyunbum11128's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 8:06 PM

connection problem with my macbook pro

hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?

Guru

• 

639 Messages

14 years ago

@ bertinoj08

if the DSL light on the modem blinks red or green, it's an indication of a possible line problem...

but since you said that only the INTERNET light blinks red at times, it may be a configuration conflict between your modem and wireless router. BTW, what is your router?

moto3346/moto2210 modems and routers are smart devices. if these modems are connected to a router, it is best to either:

- set modem on bridge mode and let the router handle the internet connection (set on PPPoE)

OR

- set the modem on PPPoE and router on DHCP

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks. I will call ATT tonight and see if they can diagose any line issues. I will be working online, and I will notice that I can not access a page, or some script appears to be running slow. All of a sudden I will be looking at the modem login page. It is prompting me for a username/password. I will walk over to the modem and see the solid red light under the "internet" mark on the modem. My router is a combined modem/router. Motorola 3346, and was supplied by Att directly. It replaced my previous Motorola 2210 (also supplied by ATT). I was told I did not need a separate router. I think my best bet is to let ATT try to make it right. If it causes me to make multiple phone calls, and a bunch of aggravation I will most likely switch to cable, or clearwire..... (do not want to though). Thanks again for the info.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

Well I've been thru all the wireless chanels many times. To me it seems to be a macbook/2wire att incompatilbity issue. I also have a Wii that runs on the wirelss just fine. This is just really frustrating. Maybe I shall try a different wireless router or switch from ATT to another provider

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

did anyone fixed it?

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing Internet connection issue  and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Please, try the following troubleshooting steps as per the issue, which you are experiencing while trying to use AT&T Internet Services.
Basic Troubleshooting:

1. Verify that all physical connections  to your DSL modem and computer are in place (e.g., phone line, power cords, ethernet cables) and that the power is turned ON. The DSL modem should not be plugged into a surge protector.
   2. Make sure DSL filters  are installed on ALL phone jacks that have telephone devices connected (e.g., phones, fax machines, answering machines).
   3. Make sure the phone line connected to your DSL modem is plugged directly into the phone jack or into the "ADSL HPN" side of a DSL filter.
   4. Powercycle  both your DSL modem and your computer (i.e., turn each off for at least 2 minutes). While the modem is off, remove the phone line from the modem and plug it back in before powering on the modem and computer.

Note: Connectivity will be lost while performing this step. Please bookmark or print this page for future reference.
   5. If you have followed these steps are still having Internet connection issues, use the AT&T Self-Support Tool to help you resolve the issue or continue with the additional steps, below.

ISSUE TYPE: Connection to the AT&T network is established, but computer is unable to surf (WIRED connection)

Symptoms

* The "DSL"/"Sync" and "Internet" lights on front of your DSL modem will be in a solid green state.

Note: It is normal for the "LAN" and "Wireless" lights to flash green when there is an active connection, and these lights will be off when there is no active connection to a computer.
    * Some computers on your home network may be able to surf, and others may not.
    * Computer(s) having connection issues may display a "page cannot be displayed" error in your web browser, or some other indication that you are not currently connected to the internet.

Steps to resolve

1. Check the physical ethernet connection from the computer to the modem/router. If the connection is correct but the associated LAN light on the front of the modem and the light by the ethernet port on the back of the computer are OFF, try a different ethernet port on the modem/router (if available) and/or a different ethernet cable.
   2. Verify that the LAN connection on the computer is enabled.
   3. Clear the cache  (temporary internet files) in your web browser.
   4. Clear the cookies  in your web browser.
   5. Make sure you are running only one firewall , and consider temporarily disabling your firewall to see if it is causing the connection issue.
   6. Check your system for a virus or for spyware that could be depleting your system resources. Infected computers can generate network traffic without your knowledge and may cause slow surfing speeds. Run anti-virus and anti-spyware software regularly.

ISSUE TYPE: Connection to the AT&T network is established, but computer is unable to surf (WIRELESS connection)

Symptoms

* The "DSL"/"Sync" and "Internet" lights on front of your DSL modem will be in a solid green state.

Note: It is normal for the "LAN" and "Wireless" lights to flash green when there is an active connection, and these lights will be off when there is no active connection to a computer.
    * Some computers on your home network may be able to surf, and others may not.
    * Computer(s) having connection issues may display a "page cannot be displayed" error in your web browser, or some other indication that you are not currently connected to the internet.

Steps to resolve:

1. Check the status of the wireless connection. If an active wireless connection exists, the Wireless light on the front of the modem/router should be ON or flashing. If the light is OFF, this indicates no wireless connection has been established.
   2. Verify that the Wireless LAN connection on the computer is enabled and indicates that you have connection to your wireless network. If unsure, follow these steps  to configure your wireless connection.
   3. If you have wireless security enabled on your router, make sure you have entered the appropriate credentials to connect to that secured wireless connection.
   4. Distance, interference, or obstructions can adversely affect your wireless signal. Follow these simple guidelines for optimal wireless network performance:
          * Place your wireless gateway/router in a central location in your home.
          * Set up your wireless gateway/router at least 3 feet away from other appliances that send wireless signals (e.g. microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors).
          * Avoid physical obstructions (i.e., don't place the wireless gateway/router directly against a wall or within a cabinet)
   5. Clear the cache (temporary internet files) in your web browser
   6. Clear the cookies in your web browser
   7. Make sure you are running only one firewall, and consider temporarily disabling your firewall to see if it is causing the connection issue
   8. Check your system for a virus or for spyware that could be depleting your system resources. Infected computers can generate network traffic without your knowledge and may cause slow surfing speeds. Run anti-virus and anti-spyware software regularly.

If you have followed all of the steps outlined above (as per the issue, which you are experiencing) and you are still experiencing problems connecting to the internet, contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.
If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may use the link mentioned below to contact AT&T eChat.
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Former Employee

• 

69 Messages

14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Additional troubleshooting step that you could try is to change your WEP key to 128-bit encryption which has 26 characters instead of 64-bit encryption which has 10 characters. You will find the steps on how to change your WEP key by clicking on this link:

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=60

Before changing your WEP key, you need to clear first the keychain in your MacBook so that it will ask for the new WEP once you try to connect again. For more information about a WEP key, please click here.

Also, you don't need to worry about the compatibility issue between your 2Wire gateway and the "wireless N" adapter in your MacBook Pro because the N adapter is designed to be backward compatible with our 2Wire gateways.

You may just contact our AT&T eChat help desk for further assistance in doing those steps above. If you are located in AL, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, & TN, here is the link for AT&T eChat:

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se.aspx

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

Has anyone tried and apple airport express or airport extreme router and ditching the 2wire? I see it works with both mac and pc's. That should be my next option, as we are still have connection issues on the macbook.

Mentor

• 

74 Messages

14 years ago

that would be a good idea! apple airport express or airport extreme router should work perfectly with your mac "n" adapter since they both came from the same manufacturer. compatibilty issues should be eliminated.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

anyone fixed? and got no trouble? im getting tired of this connection thing..... i been a loyal att customer but thinking about changing to new sevice....

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Hello Hyun Cho,

I appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. 

If you have followed all of the steps outlined above (as per the issue, which you are experiencing) and you are still experiencing problems connecting to the internet, contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may use the link mentioned below to contact AT&T eChat.
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.