hyunbum11128's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 8:06 PM

connection problem with my macbook pro

hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?

Guru

• 

639 Messages

14 years ago

hi isherrell!

i believe AT&T can only provide free techsupport for 2Wire modem/router equipment. they also support motorola 2210, westell f90, speed stream 4100/5100b modems (single-user modems only). so if you have a plain DSL modem, you need to get a 3rd party router (i.e. linksys, d-link, netgear etc.) to setup home network at home for multiple computers.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

Called At&t Tech support last weekend. They had me change the channel to 6 and increase the power to 10 on my 2wire gateway. Needless to say this did not fix the issue. i have tried just about all the channels from 6 to 11. I'll keep trying.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I too am having the same exact problem. We recently switched to an ATT 2Wire modem/wireless router. I'm using my new macbook pro, and the wireless drops suddenly every 30 min (sometimes every 15 or 10), and it is VERY ANNOYING. I have contacted ATT and they told me to change the wireless settings. So I already maxed out the channels and power. I also changed the privacy to WPA-2 personal, which helped a little (it was worse with WEP). The DSL is working fine, but it's the dropped wireless that is very bothersome. Any advice on what I can do? Should I just switch the wireless off on the modem and get a different router that is compatible? Please let me know, ATT tech has done nothing to solve my problem

Former Employee

• 

71 Messages

14 years ago

If the wireless signal drops and the dsl light on your modem is red, then this could be a possible line issue.  However, if dsl light on your modem stays solid green, it could be a wireless setting issue.

Get to the modem interface and play with the wireless settings.  Check to see which wireless channel works best for you.  This may need some patience but settings vary depending on the user's location, distance from the modem, and brand of equipment being used.

Also, check for EMI or Electomagnetic Interference which could cause the frequent dropping of the wireless signal.  Make sure that other wireless equipments are at least 3 to 5 feet away from your modem.  This would also apply to halogen lamps. And make sure the modem is not placed directly on the carpet floor.

These are some things to check if you are experiencing dropped wireless signal.  AT&T tech support has a dedicated MAC and 2Wire support teams who could help you troubleshoot further or if you need assistance going through the wireless settings of your modem.

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that the wireless connection is getting drop on your computers with the 2 Wire router, which you are using and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

It seems that the AT&T DSL connection is working fine however the problem seems to be with the wireless connection.

This issue can be resolve by our Home Networking support team, please call them at 1-800-345-7669 (Mon - Sat 6:00 am - 8:00 pm), Sun 7:00 am - 6:30 pm Pacific Time).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Hello, I had to replace my old wireless modem of 5 yrs with the new AT&T wireless router 2701HG-B on December 23, 2009 for my labtop HP Windows Vista computer and have not been about to access the internet consistantly ever since. Tech support came to my house to set-up my wireless router and I've had to contact tech support via phone 6 times only to experience the same problem. My 2wire states that I am connected to the internet, but I unable to remain connected. Now I live in a standard one bedroom appartment. According to AT&T, "The issue which you've mentioned above could be because a few reasons. To verify the same, check if there is any EMI device ( halogen lamp, speakers, microwave, cordless phones ). You may also check, whether the router is placed near the computer or Monitor, as this may affect the wireless frequency and if there is no EMI devices, there could be some problem with the wireless settings on your MacBook. In order to check settings in your MacBook, you may follow the steps provided in the link below." I live in standard size apartment with standard amentities: TV, lamps, cordless phones, microwave, and I do not have a Mac, yet I am experiencing the same problem. It appears to me that these amentities cannot be in the same apartment as the AT&T's wireless router if that is indeed the real cause of the problem. I have also been told that there may be a Microsoft software problem hendering me from accessing the net. Keep in mind that my 2wire router says that I'm connected online; I just can't access it. The idea according to AT&T tech is that there may be software (Norton) that's incompatible with their wireless router. Wow, there was no problem with the old wireless router and my software, but suddenly there's a problem with my software now. I beg the differ, it's AT&T's product. At this point, I need to find a new Internet Provider, because AT&T cannot resolve my problem. Would anyone please recommend a reliable internet provider with a great wireless router and service? Thank you. Honorai Franklin

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks, but they did not correct/fix my problem. I am so disappointed with the new AT&T's wireless modem. I will definitely be switching providers in the near future. I'd rather AT&T be honest about their product instead of finding other excuses as to why it doesn't function properly.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

well i cant still figure out how to fix... i hope att comes up with solution soon

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I called the tech services countless times, and they played around with the wireless settings, and the issue is STILL not fixed. My wireless still drops every 15-30 minutes. It is very frustrating. There is obviously a problem because there are many macbook users who are having the same issue of dropped wireless connection. This really needs to be fixed soon.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I have an Apple Macbook Pro (2008), an IMAC (2008), an Apple TV, an Apple Iphone, PS3, and Xbox 360 connected to my wireless network. I find my Motorola 3346 modem losing internet signal 3-4 times a day. A red light appears under the internet line on the modem. Prior to this I had a Motorola 2210, which did similar things. I am constantly resetting the modem, and losing signal during an online PS3 game (frustrating). I never associated it with MAC, but maybe that has something to do with it. How can you tell if its a line issue or a problem with MAC/ATT DSL... ? I recall when I was using a Alcatel modem I never had this issue....hmmmm.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.