ukarnaj's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, August 3rd, 2013 12:10 AM

Closed

cannot connect wireless printer

I recently bought a wireless printer. When going through the initial setup, it was able to connect and work automatically with my linksys wireless router. It ran the WPA process itself!  Now, i have U-Verse and i've tried everything I can think of to connect and i still haven't been successful - any ideas?   Here's what i've tried so far:

Tried WPA (pushed button on router while going through setup process on printer)

Followed some resources online and went to http://homeportal.  Found that WPA was disabled, so i turned it on and tried again.

Opted to try the PIN from the printer.  Have generated and entered a PIN multiple times, but it still will not connect.

Tried changing the router to channel 11 and going through same processes again

i still cannot get this printer to connect to the wireless network.

Any ideas?   i've spent at least 3 hours on this so far and several days and it's getting frustrating.  😞  Otherwise, i am super happy with U-Verse thus far (was previously on Time Warner)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi ukarnaj,

I just wanted to check in on you to see if you were able to get your printer connected. I was reading the manual for the printer online, and I was able to find out that in order for you to connect it with the SSID, it appears you will need to have the printer connected to a computer and to run the installation CD that came with it.

If you want to connect it using WPS, by default it is disabled in our router, but I can provide you with the steps to turn it on if necessary. We usually want to avoid using WPS because it is not as secure a connection, and sometimes causes interference with other wireless devices.

Accepted Solution

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Running the CD setup worked!  i'm just a bit of a non-standard user since my personal pc is currently down so i only have my work PC and don't have admin rights - that's why the wireless printer appealed to me - i can send a job as an email to the printer and not have to install the driver on my work laptop (which i can't)   Thanks for all the advice - i was really getting frustrated with following all the seemingly appropriate steps (and being a tad technical).  🙂

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Can you please provide the printer name and model number?  It is probably because your printer is still looking for the old network.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

It is an HP Officejet 4620.  I've tried a couple of the cold reset steps i found on the internet but none of them do it.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

i have a little more information - I printed the Network Configuration Page from the printer.  The Network Name (SSID) is "Not Set" and under Networks discovered, it lists the SSID of my U-Verse router and those of i assume 2 of my neighbors... I am watching the router configuration while this is going on and it changes from "idle" to "in progress" while the printer is trying to connect to it...  Bout to hook up the wireless again or take it to work to verify that nothing went wrong in the hardware even though the printer is basically brand new.  Does that extra info help?

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Also, if you need the SSID and wireless key, it should be located on a sticker on the side of your U-verse modem.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I wil try connecting it to a computer but i did not have to do that when I connected it with my linksys router.  I have tried just about everything but connecting it to a computer.  I am going to a wireless printer because I need to print at home from my work laptop and i can't add or install things, even printer drivers without admin privileges.  It was less than 5 minutes setting it up before I went to u-verse. 

If you read my comments, you'll see that I am more familiar with the router configuration on my AT&T router than i was my linksys router (that i've had for a few years).  I've already turned on WPS - i've tried using the pushbutton from the router itself and the configuration screen; i've tried using the PIN from the printer.  I've also changed the wireless channel to Channel 11 and tried the same steps again.  I've tried multiplie times hoping that one time, it will just do it...The printer sees the router but can't connect to it (i know this from printing the network configuration screen.  I'll get another pc and try using the install cd tonight.  Fingers crossed!

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

I am hoping that works out. Let us know how it goes. That is odd that the WPS setup did not work. It might be an issue with that U-verse router. If so, we can get it replaced for you. I have actually never connected anything via WPS with our U-verse router, but have heard some customers use it, so I am not as familiar with it.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I have a Dell V525w and the procedure David described is how I had to do mine to connect it to the U-verse router wirelessly.  I do remember it was a pain in the rear!!  I ended up having to set it up manually while the printer was connected to my laptop via USB.  It had a tutorial where you could just click answers and it was supposed to set up automatically but that was a no go.  I ended up having to configure the IP, Subnet, and Gateway plus the security type, etc. 

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

That is great to hear! I am glad everything is working and thank you for keeping us updated. If you have any other issues, feel free to let us know, and we will do our best to help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.